Need help on what to do...

I recently applied for a team lead position at my store, which was interviewed by my own ETL. I was told i didnt get it and was fine with it. Later i was told im not ready for a team lead position by my ETL. I didn't get the position, so i applied to other stores in hopes of a different ETLs opinions after the interviews. One of the stores i applied for reached out to my ETL(who believes I'm not ready in her own opinion) and she confirmed to them that I am in the development plan but she believes I'm not ready for a team lead position, potentially jeopardizing my chances of getting an interview for the position. I don't know what to do or who i should contact. I feel like she shouldn't portray her bias opinion to a store who doesn't know me. I feel the stores should make their opinions about me based on the interviews but feel like she jeopardized that chance by saying what she did.

I recently applied for a team lead position at my store, which was interviewed by my own ETL. I was told i didnt get it and was fine with it. Later i was told im not ready for a team lead position by my ETL. I didn't get the position, so i applied to other stores in hopes of a different ETLs opinions after the interviews. One of the stores i applied for reached out to my ETL(who believes I'm not ready in her own opinion) and she confirmed to them that I am in the development plan but she believes I'm not ready for a team lead position, potentially jeopardizing my chances of getting an interview for the position. I don't know what to do or who i should contact. I feel like she shouldn't portray her bias opinion to a store who doesn't know me. I feel the stores should make their opinions about me based on the interviews but feel like she jeopardized that chance by saying what she did.

You may feel she has a bias against you and maybe she does but the other stores are always going to reach out to get her impression of you.
That is always going to be the case.
It's challenging enough to hire a decent TL without taking on another stores problems (not saying you are a problem, just that they are always going to check to make sure someone isn't).
They will take into account how much they liked you for the job as compared to what she said but yeah, they will always give her word greater weight.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the cold, hard fact is that you probably aren't going to get that promotion as long as that ETL is your boss. Whether you aren’t ready as she says or you are too valuable for her to lose in the position you are in or whatever, she does have the power to stall your progress. However, all is not lost. Be patient, and learn all that you can about retail management through your development plan, observation, research, or whatever avenues are available to you. Eventually your ETL will be moved, promoted, fired, or by whatever process will be gone and so will her ability to block your chances. If you can’t wait that long, develop yourself as much as you can and when you feel ready, apply for a management positions at other companies. Even if you don’t get hired right away, you will gain experience in knowing how to interview successfully and what qualities companies are looking for in their managers, since Target seems to be a bit vague about this, even for those that they are supposedly developing.
And a quick word about being in development, or being “on the bench”. Sometimes folks seem to be on that bench for a very long time, while all the while being expected to perform TL level work at TM wages. Just saying, about all some folks have gotten out of being on the bench is a splinter in their backside. Good luck to you whatever path you take, hope it works out well for you.😁

You can’t interview for a lead position elsewhere without your stores support.

The reasons you are not ready are what?

Do you have a development plan?

If you have good reviews I am sure this is the case: "too valuable for her to lose".

We can start a conversation if you want.

Last edited:
Back