Archived “If you don’t like it here, don’t work here”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I’m sure we have all heard this one way or another, but it’s such a shitty response coming from management (the people we look to for advice and motivation). I’ve tried to think of a witty response back to them when they occasionally say it but whatever I think of makes me sound desperate (ex. Well the money helps, or, I kinda need this job) so I resort to a sigh and walk away. I am making this into a bigger problem than it is because it isn’t said often but when it is, my respect for the person goes down meaning I’m less likely to be motivated by this person. I’ve posted this thread not for pity but because I’m kinda petty and would love to hear if you guys have smart remarks back to this awful phrase, or strengthen my argument that this phrase just shouldn’t be allowed in a work place from a superior. My problem is with the fact that I know I don’t have to work there, and I’d be replaced in under a week by this giant monster which is Target, but I am a human too, who’s just working to get through school so I can actually leave this place and start a career. Any response pertaining to this is welcomed and greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Shared a story about how I told a TM that we do live in an 'at will' state if the conditions are so unbearable you are free to leave with my son. He in turn said is it really an 'at will' state because my will is to stay home create music, play games spend time with my friends but Sally Mae says something different and has taken my will away!
Btw the only reason i even made the comment was because i was tired of this particular TM moaning and groaning EVERYTHING!!!!

Now I’m sure we have all heard this one way or another, but it’s such a shitty response coming from management (the people we look to for advice and motivation). I’ve tried to think of a witty response back to them when they occasionally say it but whatever I think of makes me sound desperate (ex. Well the money helps, or, I kinda need this job) so I resort to a sigh and walk away. I am making this into a bigger problem than it is because it isn’t said often but when it is, my respect for the person goes down meaning I’m less likely to be motivated by this person. I’ve posted this thread not for pity but because I’m kinda petty and would love to hear if you guys have smart remarks back to this awful phrase, or strengthen my argument that this phrase just shouldn’t be allowed in a work place from a superior. My problem is with the fact that I know I don’t have to work there, and I’d be replaced in under a week by this giant monster which is Target, but I am a human too, who’s just working to get through school so I can actually leave this place and start a career. Any response pertaining to this is welcomed and greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

How about you actually go find another job? If your extreme level of dissatisfaction is such a frequent occurrence that you feel the need to ask here about how you should argue with your leaders about it, you need to leave.

Either that or stop bitching because literally ALL you are accomplishing is making YOURSELF and probably those around you... more miserable.

You are undoubtedly more miserable than you would be otherwise because of your own attitude.

To be clear, a leader should pretty much never tell a subordinate that, however, as the leader I would definitely feel that way if your complaining was ceaseless. Some context here would be nice.

Last edited:
Reminds me of politics... Republicans to democrats “If you don’t like it, move to Europe!” “If you don’t like our system of healthcare, get out”

Then Trump, “America is like a third world country, let’s make it great again!!”
Supporters “YEAH!!”

Reminds me of politics... Republicans to democrats “If you don’t like it, move to Europe!” “If you don’t like our system of healthcare, get out”

Then Trump, “America is like a third world country, let’s make it great again!!”
Supporters “YEAH!!”
False equivalency.

What the government does effects everyone who lives here whether they like it or not.

Meanwhile, Target is one of countless corporations in the US and employment is optional at every single one of them.

I live by the idea that I don't complain at work to management unless I can offer a solution.

If you are straight up complaining then they have a point. But, if you could offer ways to make something better then you could answer back with, "I actually really like working here and I see this as an issue and here are a few ideas that could impact or improve the process."

because it isn’t said often but when it is, my respect for the person goes down meaning I’m less likely to be motivated by this person.
I wish every leader on the planet would realize this. Respect is earned, not given, and if leaders’ answers to being told about issues is “If you don’t like it don’t work here’, respect will not be forthcoming and they won’t be told about issues that it might be in their best interest to know about before they blow up in their faces. Being employed demands that you follow leader’s directions in a courteous manner, but whether or not you respect those leaders is optional depending on their actions. A leader whose response to a TM is “if you don’t like it, don’t work here” has no clue how to motivate people, or lead them.

To the OP, don’t even bother thinking up a smart response for these leaders, they’re not worth it and it will only cause you more trouble. Hang in there if you can, or if you can’t, get another job until you graduate. Good luck in your future career and don’t look back.

My response to guests .... if you don't like it, don't shop here. Let's see how that lands.

I’m a leader myself never told my team if you don’t like it leave . However when they come to me and say why we have to do market stuff or overnight stuff , or that the new system sucks and they don’t feel like they should do it . My response is , this is where target is going and that’s what we need to adapt however if they don’t like it they need to remember that they came to target for a job and target didn’t go out looking for them. At the end of the day even upper management doesn’t have a solution at least in my store my stl admits that the new system is not working but if he wants to keep his job we need to find a way to make it work.

If HE wants to keep HIS job, WE need to find a way to make it work? A big part of the problem is that upper leadership isn't engaged enough to lead the processes and help figure out how to make it work.
^This. Upper leadership apparently have no clue how to make this work and instead of helping the team figure it out their priority is passing blame to the TLs/TMs to cover their own asses. Disgraceful, to say the least, and not working out very well, either.🙄

"I love Target and my fellow Team Members! It's some of the leadership that I'm not too fond of right now." But, you know, that might get you fired.

But honestly, for me, it's one member of leadership mostly, and they're on LOA, and literally the last day before that person's LOA started, another TL was like "You're a lot happier than I've seen you in weeks!" And I go "There's a very specific reason for that!" Lol

Upper management believes the process is working fine.

The difference between a hourly employee and upper management is that the hourly wants things to be perfect. Upper management wants good enough.

If your store is profitable then things are good enough. Adjust your thinking. Is your store profitable? Then things are working out fine. Maybe your life is stressful but that doesn't mean the corporate plan isn't working the way it was intended.

Do what you can reasonably well. This isn't a Ferrari dealership. It is a discount department store. Do department store work with department store stress.

People here are so pissed that modernization doesn't work. You literally aren't paid enough to care. Either care less or do what you have to do to get paid enough to care. I mean, you could have the perfect zone with perfect inventory and there's still a tweeker overdosing in the bathroom because it is a discount department store.

It is not that important to be perfect. Sure feels good when things are perfect, but it isn't actually part of the job description.

Upper management believes the process is working fine.

The difference between a hourly employee and upper management is that the hourly wants things to be perfect. Upper management wants good enough.

If your store is profitable then things are good enough. Adjust your thinking. Is your store profitable? Then things are working out fine. Maybe your life is stressful but that doesn't mean the corporate plan isn't working the way it was intended.

Do what you can reasonably well. This isn't a Ferrari dealership. It is a discount department store. Do department store work with department store stress.

People here are so pissed that modernization doesn't work. You literally aren't paid enough to care. Either care less or do what you have to do to get paid enough to care. I mean, you could have the perfect zone with perfect inventory and there's still a tweeker overdosing in the bathroom because it is a discount department store.

It is not that important to be perfect. Sure feels good when things are perfect, but it isn't actually part of the job description.
I see you have been to my store with the tweeker comment 😁

How about you actually go find another job? If your extreme level of dissatisfaction is such a frequent occurrence that you feel the need to ask here about how you should argue with your leaders about it, you need to leave.

Either that or stop bitching because literally ALL you are accomplishing is making YOURSELF and probably those around you... more miserable.

You are undoubtedly more miserable than you would be otherwise because of your own attitude.

To be clear, a leader should pretty much never tell a subordinate that, however, as the leader I would definitely feel that way if your complaining was ceaseless. Some context here would be nice.
Well let’s start breaking this piece by piece. First, contrary to belief, I do like working at Target and the only complaining I do is “I want a shift where I can stay in the back and fix the electronics stock room” I’ve given the problem to the Lod and the solution, and to be very clear I’ve only done that 4 times since I started working at this store (twice to my hardlines Etl, once to the soft lines Etl (because she was closing lod and asked me why the stock room was such a mess with three-tiers all lined together), and once to my HR Etl who was the one to tell me this) so I’m kinda lost in the point to where a HR team lead who makes the schedules and knows about the issue, and has a solution, would tell the solution to leave after one time I asked. My Etl said he couldn’t because it was holidays at the time (he’s on vacation right now) and they needed people on the floor helping guests. Also I don’t mean to argue with someone, just have the last laugh, a witty remark, a “you should stop this behavior” if you will. Me leaving wouldn’t solve the problem, I’d just leave the problem and if that’s how you solve your issues, then I’m gonna assume you’re the one making people miserable because your lack of closure must drive people insane with you.

Well let’s start breaking this piece by piece. First, contrary to belief, I do like working at Target and the only complaining I do is “I want a shift where I can stay in the back and fix the electronics stock room” I’ve given the problem to the Lod and the solution, and to be very clear I’ve only done that 4 times since I started working at this store (twice to my hardlines Etl, once to the soft lines Etl (because she was closing lod and asked me why the stock room was such a mess with three-tiers all lined together), and once to my HR Etl who was the one to tell me this) so I’m kinda lost in the point to where a HR team lead who makes the schedules and knows about the issue, and has a solution, would tell the solution to leave after one time I asked. My Etl said he couldn’t because it was holidays at the time (he’s on vacation right now) and they needed people on the floor helping guests. Also I don’t mean to argue with someone, just have the last laugh, a witty remark, a “you should stop this behavior” if you will. Me leaving wouldn’t solve the problem, I’d just leave the problem and if that’s how you solve your issues, then I’m gonna assume you’re the one making people miserable because your lack of closure must drive people insane with you.

Payroll hours don’t permit people to just randomly work off stage shifts for no reason other than their personal wants and desires.

Unless the Electroincs stockroom is in a business breaking state of dysfunction, which I highly doubt, that shift you want is not going to happen.

It’s apparent to me that you’re very young... that’s ok. But you don’t get the big picture yet and me making a silly post here isn’t going to change that for you... only time.

But they don't want to pay you to sit in the back and zone an offstage area. Why would they want an offstage area zoned?

But they don't want to pay you to sit in the back and zone an offstage area. Why would they want an offstage area zoned?

Items not in location can't be pulled for sales requests nor can they be pulled for batches. = Lost sales..
Vehicles clogging up a small stock room, blocks pulls from being pulled. We have such a small lock up that five vehicles in there is gridlock. And we NOT allowed to push them out to make room to pull items so again lost sales.

You are shooting yourself in the foot when you have a fucking pig sty of a backroom.. The cost of the person who wants to zone is going to make you money since you can actually find product and fucking sell it.

Items not in location can't be pulled for sales requests nor can they be pulled for batches. = Lost sales..
Vehicles clogging up a small stock room, blocks pulls from being pulled. We have such a small lock up that five vehicles in there is gridlock. And we NOT allowed to push them out to make room to pull items so again lost sales.

You are shooting yourself in the foot when you have a fucking pig sty of a backroom.. The cost of the person who wants to zone is going to make you money since you can actually find product and fucking sell it.

Yes, they can be searched for a guest request, the exact same way it is done at every single other retail store in the world. And if it costs more in payroll to put it away than the lost sales, you have your answer.

I'm not saying it is a best practice, but if you expect best practice in January you are in the wrong field. Furthermore, if it is true backstock, that means there is product on the shelf. Why would you pull it if there is product already out there?

Yes, they can be searched for a guest request, the exact same way it is done at every single other retail store in the world. And if it costs more in payroll to put it away than the lost sales, you have your answer.

I'm not saying it is a best practice, but if you expect best practice in January you are in the wrong field. Furthermore, if it is true backstock, that means there is product on the shelf. Why would you pull it if there is product already out there?

SFS/OPU orders so that product needs to be in location so we can find it. Best practice? Hell I would happy for "Sort of practice." and having your backroom in order saves you payroll cause you aren't wasting it by having people play the ugliest game of tetris constantly moving shit to get to other shit. And with the utter small payroll we are working with you think we want to waste it blindly searching for shit piled up in random vehicles? That would be a - No. Cause ain't no one got time for that!

People need to think beyond the end of their own nose, it would help the entire store run better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back