Archived “You’re not an expert in your area”

Status
Not open for further replies.

colormestressed

Don’t talk to me
Alright, guys. I know ASANTS but I wanted to know if this is going on everywhere or just my Target.

Two of the hardest working team members in softlines, that I’ve worked beside almost everyday since I started, are being moved out of softlines to different parts of the store. They’ve both worked here for almost two years but don’t have previous experience in clothing and are being moved/can’t take any softlines shifts because of it. An ETL actually told them they were never “experts” in their area, that they just worked in it. We’re already struggling here in softlines and with them leaving/being moved, it makes it so much harder.

So I just wanted to know is this just happening at my store? Doesn’t them working in softlines for almost two years qualify as experience??? This has been a hot topic between me and a few other TMs as it makes me angry that this has happened. Is it something corporate is enforcing? And when they were hired, the application said “previous clothing experience preferred, but not required”. I feel like something fishy is going on🤔

Alright, guys. I know ASANTS but I wanted to know if this is going on everywhere or just my Target.

Two of the hardest working team members in softlines, that I’ve worked beside almost everyday since I started, are being moved out of softlines to different parts of the store. They’ve both worked here for almost two years but don’t have previous experience in clothing and are being moved/can’t take any softlines shifts because of it. An ETL actually told them they were never “experts” in their area, that they just worked in it. We’re already struggling here in softlines and with them leaving/being moved, it makes it so much harder.

So I just wanted to know is this just happening at my store? Doesn’t them working in softlines for almost two years qualify as experience??? This has been a hot topic between me and a few other TMs as it makes me angry that this has happened. Is it something corporate is enforcing? And when they were hired, the application said “previous clothing experience preferred, but not required”. I feel like something fishy is going on🤔
My SFTL wants to move me to Hardlines BECAUSE I'm such a hard worker and because Softlines is already E2E, so she's hoping that I'll be able to get Hardlines on board with it. Maybe that was what your ETL was actually thinking, but doesn't know how to say it without being an ass.

So how do you become an expert in an area, by working in an area and proving yourself. Sounds like the two that are being moved have two years of solid experience. More than enough. Spot is going to loss a lot of good people who can easily move to other retailers with the experience theyt DID gain at Spot. And to add, they move to a new area where they have no experience so aren't experts there.

Welcome to modernization. Were you will be told to do your job, be moved to one that you will or be let go. I'm seriously not joking.

Which is why most of the employees who actually work and know how to get shit done and leaving in droves. My store is going to be hurting badly if the ones I know are looking for work leave.. They won't have an SFS/OPU department nor will have anyone to unload to unload the damn truck.

Which is why most of the employees who actually work and know how to get shit done and leaving in droves. My store is going to be hurting badly if the ones I know are looking for work leave.. They won't have an SFS/OPU department nor will have anyone to unload to unload the damn truck.

Do you want to carry the weight of someone that can't do a vmg? I wouldn't so I rather those people quit or move. Remember it's your job not theirs

My SFTL wants to move me to Hardlines BECAUSE I'm such a hard worker and because Softlines is already E2E, so she's hoping that I'll be able to get Hardlines on board with it. Maybe that was what your ETL was actually thinking, but doesn't know how to say it without being an ass.

One is being moved to the check lanes..

Target wants people that are passionate about working in the area they are in and not just going through the motions. My guess is they are good workers but bad business owners or active sellers. It's all about creating the moment with the guest in softlines while keeping the store looking perfect.

@colormestressed : you are using two different words in your comment....you speak of "experience" and "experts." While these two words are similar they do not mean the same thing.
experienced: someone who has spent time working and has knowledge of a work area.
experts: someone who has full knowledge of a work area and has skill and can pretty much "run" a work area.

So, which is the issue?
the experience or the expert

First, stop worrying about other people's business. You can't possibly know the full story of why the leadership is making this decision.

Secondly understand that the goal of modernization seems to be TMs that can do it all. In my area we will soon be payinng about 20% more than comparable jobs at other retailers. And now we expect a much higher quality TM.

First, stop worrying about other people's business. You can't possibly know the full story of why the leadership is making this decision.

Secondly understand that the goal of modernization seems to be TMs that can do it all. In my area we will soon be payinng about 20% more than comparable jobs at other retailers. And now we expect a much higher quality TM.

This point has zero value in states that already pay more than $12 an hour.

We have not experienced this situation..not in softlines at least. There were a few seasoned vets 20+ years as TMs that were let go by STL decision due to the fact they cannot keep up with the fast paced demand of the new position. It did not take any performancing out, a simple goodbye was given. They'll likely get unemployment which is looked down upon for any mgmt team to allow but they would have sabotaged the new processes

It might be they are just needed in other parts of the store, depending on what areas need someone. One thing I have noticed and it might just be stores that do not have a lot of team members. They do get moved around a bit, store needs still overrule everything. Just because you are good in a certain area and have been there a while does not mean you will not get moved around. I know several people in my store that were told a certain area was theirs when this whole process started only to be moved around 3 or 4 times.

Target doesn't seem to consider experience at Target to be experience, which is kind of sad and ironic. They're basically saying they're going to replace them with new hires that come from outside clothing retailers, who are probably young and attractive, and--at least at my store--won't last more than a couple months once they see the excessive demands target places on employees compared to dying mall stores. And you can likely expect the same for any vets left in cosmetics.

This point has zero value in states that already pay more than $12 an hour.

I can walk out of the exit doors at my store and into McDonald's and make more there there then I can w years of experience w Target. And regular, consistent shifts. Modernization is great in states where $15 is double the minimum wage but not so much in states where the minimum is at or soon to be $15. I'm curious if Target will continue to bump those in $15 minimum states beyond the $15 minimum Target pay.

People keep saying this, where the hell are all these attractive new hires at my store? 🤔
Attractiveness is subjective obviously but I haven't seen anyone hired in apparel or cosmetics over the age of, like, 22 in...a really long time. Even the oldest of our three Apparel TLs is 23. And most hires are conventionally pretty to Insta-level-extra looking.

This really isn’t any different than the old org chart. If they feel someone is too comfortable, not urgent enough, or they just want to shake things up, they can move anyone anywhere they want. This can’t be blamed on modernization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back