Archived “You’re not an expert in your area”

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just notice the ugly ones. Those are the ones who can handle the workload so they stay. The cute ones don't last.
The cute ones are always in softlines and have too much drama for me. lol I gave up dipping my pen in the company ink long ago, though.

The cute ones are always in softlines and have too much drama for me. lol I gave up dipping my pen in the company ink long ago, though.

Aye, we have some cute TMs in softlines too. But, unlike in Beauty, the ones in softlines can get the job done. They're great. I, however, do I need the drama that would result in dating another TM. I'm cool just being the nice guy who praises them to their TL.

Do you want to carry the weight of someone that can't do a vmg? I wouldn't so I rather those people quit or move. Remember it's your job not theirs

You don't need "prior clothing experience" to set a VMG...

Target doesn't seem to consider experience at Target to be experience, which is kind of sad and ironic. They're basically saying they're going to replace them with new hires that come from outside clothing retailers, who are probably young and attractive, and--at least at my store--won't last more than a couple months once they see the excessive demands target places on employees compared to dying mall stores. And you can likely expect the same for any vets left in cosmetics.

This is sadly the kind of stuff smaller clothing stores have been pulling all along; create loopholes in the hiring/expectation process that allows them to only hire young, attractive people, and avoid the legal complications of moving people out based on age and looks.
I guess it makes sense if Target is trying to copy those "boutique" type stores.
But, good luck finding those kinds of people who are willing to meet Target's kind of ludicrous expectations right now.

True but the vast majority of states have minimum wages well under what we pay.

Min wage is a lot lower than that where I work, but the "effective" wages are a lot higher, because there's just no one looking for jobs, and stores have to raise wages scrapping for the couple of people looking for work.
My store was already nearly at the wage we're moving to this year, just in keeping up (barely) with the local competition. And our staffing is still terrible.

Bruh, where I’m from the only jobs willing to pay close to $13/hour are the ones that demand a lot of physical labor (which usually cap off at $13/hr) or you’re behind a desk or assisting in a doctor’s office, in which you have to have mad qualifications.

Even the Arby's around here are offering $11/hr. as their starting wage. I bet they don't have DBO responsibilities either.

I recently move to produce, 8 mos. now. I did years of market and hardlines with a bit of cashiering. I did all these at a different grocery chain. So on my first day at produce, my tl told me I am now an Expert and The Business Owner. If something doesn’t measure up, take care it. We started this Modernization over 2 years ago so all the points in this thread are already familiar to me. I understand, believe me,I do. (And sympathize)

Even the Arby's around here are offering $11/hr. as their starting wage. I bet they don't have DBO responsibilities either.

There is a McDonalds next door to my store. In my state fast food pays $12.75 an hour, which is why our stores base is that. I talked to the franchise owner of the McDonald's and he said they would be meeting target's $13 in June. Fast food in my state is set to raise to $13.50 in January so I assume Target will raise the base to $13.50 then as well. McDonald's will give you 20 as part time and 40 w full time. Target only gives me 8. :(

There is a McDonalds next door to my store. In my state fast food pays $12.75 an hour, which is why our stores base is that. I talked to the franchise owner of the McDonald's and he said they would be meeting target's $13 in June. Fast food in my state is set to raise to $13.50 in January so I assume Target will raise the base to $13.50 then as well. McDonald's will give you 20 as part time and 40 w full time. Target only gives me 8. :(
Mc D probably has benefits and a steady schedule. Don’t slip and fall or get a grease burn. Hell you’re good to go til the robotics kick in.

Last edited:

My store was in the same boat; all the local entry level jobs had raised their wages, and Target had to apply to have their base pay raised to compete. Unfortunately, by the time that actually went through, the only people applying were the ones that got turned down by the other local businesses or fired from them.
Some of my applicants had all three "previous jobs" slots filled out by jobs they'd been fired from in a 6 month (or less) span.
Paying the same rate as stuff like McDonalds, or the cashiers at Lowes isn't going to cut it with less than 20 hours a week, a random ass schedule, and job expectations that go WAY above entry level in markets like this, and someone up top at Target damn sure should have anticipated that.
It's obvious the goal of the rapid, unannounced changes was that a large portion of the staff would quit and could be replaced... but that's not exactly going to work when there ARE no replacements, and Target has absolutely nothing to offer for the ludicrous requirements.

Not letting stores make modifications to schedules to accommodate their business needs it going to be the kiss of death for a lot of stores in the long run. Hell, mine hadn't unloaded the "style" freight in over a week last time I was there.

Oh dear lord. I bet management is ticked.

I assume if they were, they'd have done something about it instead of saying we couldn't move another TM onto the unload process because we couldn't ask people to leave their "ownerships."
There appears to be literally NO plan on what to do if an area "owner" quits before they can hire someone new (haha) and I know they've been denying time off left and right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back