$1.50 raise out of nowhere?

There was a big huddle last Friday, and it was about all the Targets in Chicago getting a boost in the starting wage of $1.50, which puts most of us at $16.50. Anyone at $16.50 or higher will not get an increase. Overnight workers got a $2.50 raise on top of the extra $1 they already get, so they are sitting at $18.50. It's because we're having trouble hiring and retaining team members.

Minimum wage in Chicago is $15. Corporate may have a reason to stay above minimum wage, that's not the stated reason of retention.

I can't speak for my store, but I was at a store in The Bronx yesterday and there was a sign saying pay was starting at $16.50. Minimum wage in NYC is $15. So maybe this is a company wide thing hopefully.

There was a big huddle last Friday, and it was about all the Targets in Chicago getting a boost in the starting wage of $1.50, which puts most of us at $16.50. Anyone at $16.50 or higher will not get an increase. Overnight workers got a $2.50 raise on top of the extra $1 they already get, so they are sitting at $18.50. It's because we're having trouble hiring and retaining team members.

It wasn't just Chicago, I have heard it has happened in the Seattle area as well.

My store is in LA County but not the City of LA. Yesterday (my day off), the team was notified that TM base pay was being raised to $17/hr, effective Oct. 3rd and it is permanent - it was all anyone was talking about today when I got there. I asked if it was all LA stores and was told "No, only our store and one other in our local area was approved for the increase." which made it sound like there is some kind of process or bar that has to be met in order for the increase to happen. The Store Director and several ETLs are out for a couple of days but I will ask for more details when I can get ahold of the right people. Oh and word has already gotten around - the HR ETL received several transfer applications today after not seeing any for months. Coincidence? I think not...😏

Last edited:
Yeah. I saw seasonal positions in the Seattle area being advertised at $16.75 on LinkedIn

Yeah it was not fun to hear these sixteen year old kids celebrating a raise out of nowhere while the rest of us, could have understood, if we had been told it was going to happen. I have been given a bump like that in the past, so I don't begrudge them the money. But fucking tell us. This was almost as bad as when we have been given help from other stores, they were clocking OT while we were begging for hours and asked to go home early.

I just happened to look at workday yesterday and noticed an ad hoc compensation change as of 10/3. I heard absolutely nothing about this last week other than right here on TBR. We shall see what, if anything, is posted at the TSC today.

Back