$14 an hour very soon?

Saw a printed brochure for hiring seasonal workers, which said "pay starting at $14 an hour", not $13.

Wonder what date that will be happening? I know that's earlier than planned, but this is a legit hiring brochure by Target, at one of the registers.

Tried to Google, results I get are from the $13 an hour bump in June, or longer ago, nothing new.

Makes me wonder if I missed a group huddle mentioning this on a day off, or something.

I asked and was told don't know. Your area may be bumping up to $14 to be competitive with other retailers

Don't think my area is particularly special. No high cost of living area like NYC or LA or SF.

Went to $13 an hour minimum in June like everyone else, not before.

Last edited:
I mean we did make a 15 dollars an hour in 2020 promise to up keep
Yes. Though $15 an hour was announced as "by end of 2020" (not beginning of 2020). So, having jumped to $13 in June of this year, I would have thought $14 to be more likely to happen in 1st quarter of 2020. Anyway, glad to see $14 seems to be happening soon (or if not, then whoever approved those hiring brochures saying $14 is likely in trouble).

Of course, by end of 2020 doesn't mean they'll wait for the actual end of 2020 to go up to $15 an hour, either. Perhaps October-ish 2020 for the fall holiday hires (total speculation).

Last edited:
Of course, by end of 2020 doesn't mean they'll wait for the actual end of 2020 to go up to $15 an hour, either. Perhaps October-ish 2020 for the fall holiday hires (total speculation).

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't until the end of January 2021, with the explanation: "Oh, we meant the end of the fiscal year of 2020."

OK, here's the pic. It's single-sided. In the lower left that's too blurry to read, the document # is:
HR8612 (9/19)

That 9/19 would imply this is up to date and anything before then is outdated.
Target-$14-Hour.jpg

A co-worker today said that a TL indicated $14 went into effect last Sunday the 8th. But I have no confirmation on that. On TargetPayandBenefits, it still says $13 for me. I am hoping $14 is in effect but may not show that till the next 2-week pay cycle.

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't until the end of January 2021, with the explanation: "Oh, we meant the end of the fiscal year of 2020."
Too cynical. Ain't gonna happen like that. Target made a big deal out of the publicity they got in announcing $15 by end of $2020. If they tried a loophole like that to delay $15 into 2021, they'd have a massive public relations problem (news stories) for a broken or misleading promise, far more costly than they'd save by delaying into 2021.

And keep in mind that this bump to $14 is sooner than most anyone expected. If Target wanted to save $ on delaying pay raises, they'd have waited a long time before going to $14 (there was no public promise of when $14 would happen)

For whoever doesn't care if it's gone from $13 to $14, fine, send me your extra $ to relieve your burden. :)

Last edited:
These are the flyers that we could “edit” and order for seasonal hiring events. But I’m pretty sure they meant for us to put dates and times in, not starting pay.. I would go to the (E)TL HR and ask where my raise is. If you do ask please go about it in a positive way, this is a time where being snarky or otherwise nasty will not help you. And for all you know it could have been a typo they didn’t notice 🤷‍♀️

These are the flyers that we could “edit” and order for seasonal hiring events. But I’m pretty sure they meant for us to put dates and times in, not starting pay.. I would go to the (E)TL HR and ask where my raise is. If you do ask please go about it in a positive way, this is a time where being snarky or otherwise nasty will not help you. And for all you know it could have been a typo they didn’t notice 🤷‍♀️
"Hi 😁. I noticed people are starting at 14 now, according to this flyer. I was wondering if I would be getting a raise, or if I should put my 2 weeks in and re-apply?, JK but not really"

Well, certainly not out of the realm to pay seasonals more than TMs. The first time I worked at Target I was hired at just under $8/hr in early October. The seasonals hired literally a week later were hired at $9/hr.

Only difference was that the seasonals were 'supposed' to keep that info quiet. Seasonals came and left, yet I had to wait until spring to get bumped to $9.

HR confirmed to me today that we are getting $14 an hour now, began Sept 8th at our store. Turns out that indeed there was a meeting last Friday that announced it, but I wasn't at the store then.

If $14 is not happening everywhere now, I can't explain. But I will again say I'm not in an area with a high cost of living. I'd say about "average".

Better than making less than the seasonals like I did.
Until Target bumped all pay to $12 an hour a year ago, cashiers got about $2 less than some other positions, such as flow (Flow is physically more demanding and more complicated). So if there were "seasonals" who made more than a cashier at the time, that would be expected unless those seasonals were also cashiers.

When the minimum was bumped to $12, it was the TM's who already were paid $12 or more who were complaining that cashiers got as much as a $2 raise (from about $10) but they didn't get a penny more.

Now, if there were seasonals making more than others doing the SAME job, yeah, that would be F'ed up. I know, ASANTS.

Last edited:
Back