Archived 15 years with Target, feels like I'm being forced out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been with Target for 15 years, all on the overnight flow team. A few months ago, we made the dreaded "4am transition" and things went fine for a while, until they announced that we were no longer going to be working Market and that a separate team would be doing it. The week that was going to roll out, practically the entire Flow team was cut to 5 hour shifts. Fortunately for me, I work almost entirely in the backroom; I do auto pulls as soon as I come in, and then I'm usually out back backstocking by the time we're open. My ETL has been generous letting me stay late as there's still work to be done there past 9am.

Long story short, I can't help but feel like I'm on a sinking ship right now. I've heard horror stories from other stores after the 4am shift and feel like Target's ultimate goal is to phase out the Flow team entirely. Still, 15 years is a long time to pack up and start over somewhere else, but being scheduled 25 hours a week plus whatever extra hours I can scrape up isn't going to pay rent, let alone other expenses.

Retail as a whole is a dying business. They are forcing you out because it's a last resort.

My best advice to everyone is to 1. Start looking for non-retail or fast food jobs those are outdated. 2. Get a degree in something I'd say engineering or robotics (yes that's a thing)

Target is phasing out the Flow team. Ask to move to the grocery team.

So, I've been with Target for 15 years, all on the overnight flow team. A few months ago, we made the dreaded "4am transition" and things went fine for a while, until they announced that we were no longer going to be working Market and that a separate team would be doing it. The week that was going to roll out, practically the entire Flow team was cut to 5 hour shifts. Fortunately for me, I work almost entirely in the backroom; I do auto pulls as soon as I come in, and then I'm usually out back backstocking by the time we're open. My ETL has been generous letting me stay late as there's still work to be done there past 9am.

Long story short, I can't help but feel like I'm on a sinking ship right now. I've heard horror stories from other stores after the 4am shift and feel like Target's ultimate goal is to phase out the Flow team entirely. Still, 15 years is a long time to pack up and start over somewhere else, but being scheduled 25 hours a week plus whatever extra hours I can scrape up isn't going to pay rent, let alone other expenses.
I have also been with target for 15 years and only getting scheduled 12 hrs a week feeling the same way.

Hang in there, we have a bunch of flow team members working 4am to 1230 five days a week in market.

You can also transfer to another overnight store. We have people commuting 25 miles to our store. Working overnight you avoid traffic and the extra earnings are worth the added commute.

No one is going to pay anyone to push toys 40 hours a a week in this economy.

To those saying that retail is dying what goos jobs do you think are a good guarantee of working good hours all the time? I'm sick of retail but haven't had any luck, so don't know what good jobs are out there?

Ya'll just need to roll with the flow...

It's a gawtdang minimum wage job in retail.

What did you expect?

Hookers and blow?

2z84xow.jpg

Yeah I would suggest moving to another workcetner maybe backdrop or like they stated above the market department
To those saying that retail is dying what goos jobs do you think are a good guarantee of working good hours all the time? I'm sick of retail but haven't had any luck, so don't know what good jobs are out there?

ditto please suggest I've tired so many times

Hang in there, we have a bunch of flow team members working 4am to 1230 five days a week in market.

You can also transfer to another overnight store. We have people commuting 25 miles to our store. Working overnight you avoid traffic and the extra earnings are worth the added commute.

No one is going to pay anyone to push toys 40 hours a a week in this economy.
I'm over here with 40 closing hours in electronics three weeks in a row, basically pushing roys? Lmao

Not an option, unfortunately. We were one of the last overnight stores in our district despite being told for years that we would never go 4am due to our high volume.

be sure you're using all online job tools now as they're really taking hold of a lot of employee recruitment. Indeed/LinkedIn and my state has a dedicated (layout is somewhat antiquated but it works) job board that it pulls job postings from all over the state and it's actually very efficient. Check and see if there's one for your state. Also just think about places you might like to work and check their websites for career posting section. IE: Want to work for your city? Government jobs are great, check your city's website for job postings.

Guarantee'd hours = any full time jobs. There are lots out there.

Technical jobs. Plumber , welder, electrician.

Some require some certification but they more than pay for themselves

I have been with Spot for over 20 years. I don't plan on staying with the company much longer. If this e2e process becomes the new normal...then it will be sooner than later. I can relate to the Op in feeling like I am being pushed out. However, instead of letting them push me out I am going to jump out. I don't regret the time I have spent with the company . I have learned a lot about myself and lfe in general. I never intended to stay with Spot this long but plans change and life happens and you do what you have to do at the time. I simply want something that is stable and can provide me with security. I had this once with Spot but when the company started changing that changed as well. I am going to get my hiney in gear and go back to college and finish what I started years ago. I am excited and nervous but I know its time. The writing is on the wall

Ya'll just need to roll with the flow...

It's a gawtdang minimum wage job in retail.
Easy to say if you don't have a spouse & kids depending on you.
Some of us have advanced degrees but saw our jobs cut from federal/state budgets or taken over by H1B visa-holders.
Going back to school is difficult when grants & other sourcing has dried up.

I must not be doing something right. I'm using, the state job board, LinkedIn and indeed. I've applied for a number of jobs but haven't had a response.

I must not be doing something right. I'm using, the state job board, LinkedIn and indeed. I've applied for a number of jobs but haven't had a response.

The problem with those online job boards is they get lots of post. Some people mass post applications. I prefer to apply in person and make an impression if at all possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back