18 or graduate HS?

HLN13

Hardlines TM
just wondering what everyone’s store policy is and if anyone knows the official Target policy on when people can be trained on the wave/use the baler/stay past 9:45. I’ve been told different things by different ETLs/TLs at my store and I feel like no one really knows the true answer.
To be trained on the wave/baler, do you just need to be 18 years old? Or do you need to have graduated high school?
Same goes for staying past 9:45 - just need to be 18? Or do you need to be done with HS?
Thanks.

18 actual years old for most things but there are things that you can’t do even if you are 18 if you are still in high school if that makes sense

OP
OP
HLN13

HLN13

Hardlines TM
18 actual years old for most things but there are things that you can’t do even if you are 18 if you are still in high school if that makes sense
What in specific? I’m just looking to get trained on the wave mostly, since I do a lot of stuff in the backrook. My birthdays later in the week.

TTGOz

"Suit"-able
At my store it's you're still a minor if in highschool, can't stay past 9:45. 18 year olds in school though will still use baler at least.

State laws dictate what you can and can’t do at 18. You can’t work past 9:45 (here at least) if you’re a high school student. (True story: a neighboring store has a 21 y/o who is a high school junior, not passing some lower grades. He can’t work past 9:45, despite being legally allowed to buy alcohol as he’s leaving. Lol)

Using the wave, baler, etc. is more so your store’s ETL team getting around to training you once you’re 18.

Last edited:

Fix It

PMT - Serial OSHA Violator
Some states have labor laws regarding people in high school so I’m pretty sure the company’s policy nation wide regarding time is 9:30/45. However, you can be certified on machinery if you are 18 but still in school.

Machinery is 18th birthday.

Minor labor laws depend on state. In my state it is 18th birthday. Not sure about anywhere else. Minors love working for us because we don't pay minors a different wage. $12 a hour at 16 is pretty good.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
Must be 18 to operate machinery, sell alcohol or work past 9:45 (if HS grad) in my state.

tholmes

Electronics TL
Throwing this in here since it came up yesterday at my store: HR best practice (company-wide) says that TMs should be keyed as a minor for scheduling purposes as long as they are either under 18 or still in HS. However, this isn't automatic and should be keyed by the HR team if the need arises.
For non-scheduling purposes, TMs are no longer minors once over 18 (e.g. balers/equipment)