Archived 2016 Instocks & RFID

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxCutter

Cut hard. Cut deep.
I was told that RIG completion will have a greater roll in the store metrics.

I noticed on myPerformance on Workbench that the Replenishment category has been removed. Apparently, this is for the new metrics and the new Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) process to be started in February. (Currently, I can't see how many scans I had for the past weeks or total for 2015).

I have already seen the yellow labeled softlines boxes come into our store. According to Workbench we will be using RFID handheld scanners to update OH in the following key categories: Kids Apparel, Performance (C9 only), Ready-To-Wear, Men's Seasonal Apparel (C9 only), and Domestics (soft home).

For Instocks Team: "Go Live week In-stocks team members will complete RFID updates in key dcategories. Going forward, RID updates in key categories will occur weekly." In addition, "Available after Go Live in myPerformance, reporting will show information such as who completed RFID updates, timing of updates, and ITA/On-Hand accuracy."

Guest Services will also have a roll: "All RFID equipment including scanners, chargers, and blank RFID tags will be stored at Guest Services [editor's note: like they have any room up there with reshop, Curbside, and FlexFill.] At the same time as the Audit and Tag-Up process, Guest Service team members will audit return items for RFID key categories. All Guest Service team embers, including back-upsk, will train on how to audit and encode RFID tags as needed."

Anyone have any details about these changes?

Last edited:
Uh no? No clue this is coming. Ok.. My TL with backroom is stretched to thin so I will be point on this I have a feeling. I did notice a box of baby bibs was labeled RFID enabled. Now I know why.

Please update this thread as you find info out and I will do the same.

Yes I have seen the yellow labeled boxes marked RFID enabled also. Why do we need to update RFID merchandise? I always thought other places that had this had the equipment to read how many they had and could read it when it came in the store and left, but we are probably using the cheapest form of it so.... do we get special equipment for this. It will probably get locked up like all other equipment eventually or AP will scream about it. No I have not heard about this as far as our Instocks roll goes, but I will have to ask about it when I go back next week. Hopefully since most of it sounds like softlines items they can update it, since the softlines team already does research on that side of the store on thursdays.

The RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) process is coming to the spot. From what I gather, the spot sent this commincation out as an FYI, and so that we could know its coming, but just like many processes, its going to be a last minute scramble. If I learn more about the rollout I will post/update.

They have just released the basics, the detailed rollout guide is due out in early February, as @BoxCutter stated is focusing on mostly kids apparel, performance, rtw, and domestics items (aka our main profit drivers) . The RFID program is being introduced so that the spot can get a better handle of the on-hands of items in these categories, it will help the FF, SFS and online processes run ten times smoother, because like hardline items the store/the spot will have a better picture of what is actually in stock at that location. Hopefully gone will be the days of guests screaming, "Well your website said you have it online."o_O

The RFID tag is already on the item or will be placed on these item and the tag will identify and track the items as they move through the entire logistics process and eventually the POS process. Unlike a barcode, the tag does not need to be scanned to know where its physical location. So the product with those yellow labels is just enabled, not activated, so at the store level we are going to have activate the merchandise. In a nutshell, in the very beginning, the "selected" team will go through the indicated departments and either activate the RFID or give the product a RFID code if not present. The team will be equipped with the special RFID scanners, and tags, and the process will be similar to an inventory/research-scan the item to update the system and get an accurate count. After the initial blitz, an in-stock team member once a week will go through and update/audit the items and there will be metrics involved with the completion. If the guest returns an item from the key category the Guest Service TM will have to reactivate or give the item a new RFID tag.

Spot did not tell my store, either.

Haven't heard a single word about this.

go go go gadget communicator……

who am I kidding? They will never tell us, well they might if they could pry their bottoms out of Starbucks.

the best part of this RFID thing is the whack job tinfoil hat wearing TM will absolutely go ballistic with their government conspiracy goofiness

I'm the softlines TL and no one has said anything to me either. I found a link on workbench about it, but it was very vague. It mainly explains (vaguely) what
RFID is and that more info will be coming soon.

the best part of this RFID thing is the whack job tinfoil hat wearing TM will absolutely go ballistic with their government conspiracy goofiness
TMs? What about the tin-foil-hat wearing Guests? "You're following me home! You know when I wear it!" Good luck and have fun Guest Services and LODs!

I haven't heard a word, but looked it up after the Carter's set had the tags on the box. Should be fun...no sltl and instocks tl is a dink.

The RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) process is coming to the spot. From what I gather, the spot sent this commincation out as an FYI, and so that we could know its coming, but just like many processes, its going to be a last minute scramble. If I learn more about the rollout I will post/update.

They have just released the basics, the detailed rollout guide is due out in early February, as @BoxCutter stated is focusing on mostly kids apparel, performance, rtw, and domestics items (aka our main profit drivers) . The RFID program is being introduced so that the spot can get a better handle of the on-hands of items in these categories, it will help the FF, SFS and online processes run ten times smoother, because like hardline items the store/the spot will have a better picture of what is actually in stock at that location. Hopefully gone will be the days of guests screaming, "Well your website said you have it online."o_O

The RFID tag is already on the item or will be placed on these item and the tag will identify and track the items as they move through the entire logistics process and eventually the POS process. Unlike a barcode, the tag does not need to be scanned to know where its physical location. So the product with those yellow labels is just enabled, not activated, so at the store level we are going to have activate the merchandise. In a nutshell, in the very beginning, the "selected" team will go through the indicated departments and either activate the RFID or give the product a RFID code if not present. The team will be equipped with the special RFID scanners, and tags, and the process will be similar to an inventory/research-scan the item to update the system and get an accurate count. After the initial blitz, an in-stock team member once a week will go through and update/audit the items and there will be metrics involved with the completion. If the guest returns an item from the key category the Guest Service TM will have to reactivate or give the item a new RFID tag.

I started noticing boxes with yellow RFID labels on them when the swim started coming in. I thought it might be meant to deter theft since swim is a high theft item. I noticed items in other areas coming in with the RFID labels as well. Now that I have read this illuminating post from Tarjayyy I was reminded of a huddle at my store a couple years ago......

Our STL had just returned from the Kool Aid Fest and was telling us about some new ideas Target was working on. He told us about this way out computer guy who was working on a way to scan an aisle using technology that sounds ALOT like this!

I am on a process team (NOT Instocks) and at that time we had gone from working 4am-12:30 M-F 40 hours most weeks to coming in MUCH later & getting less hours. During this period my average hours dropped from close to 40 down to 33 (at the time 32 hours was the threshold for insurance). Other teams were going through the same hours drought as well. I jokingly referred to this as "How Target is going to replace us all with robots". I remember wondering WHY our STL would tell us about that given the then current state of many team members hours, it seemed to be in poor taste at the VERY least.

Now fast forward a couple years and it sounds like this is starting to roll out. I have heard NOTHING about it at my store. Does anyone else remember hearing about this a while back?

Last edited:
I believe you might be talking about this video.

Basically almost there. Target app has a map of your selected store with pins of the items of your list and organize with the fastest trip with iBeacon stores. iBeacons being tested for sales and alerts. In a perfect worl the video would be a smooth running store. But it's Target and we never have the time for that.

I meant to ask why all our newer casepacks of towels had the yellow RFID labels on them.

We use RFID technology at my other job. I work in a library, and all our books, DVDs, etc. have RFID transponders. It allows for faster checkout/returns and doubles as a security system. When the system was first implemented, I was on the team that applied and encoded all the transponders. It took almost a year to get everything.

I'm sure Spot will find a way to screw this up (beyond the obvious lack of communication).

Can anyone post a pic of what these look like and what the sticker on the box look like? I have not seen this at all. If it increases security is going to cause the stanchions at the door to go off? What if they don't even work at your store and they are just for show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back