Archived 2280 Phone System for Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

RightArm

2 Many Hats...
Curious... I did do a search for topics but couldn't find anything. Is there any sort of guide on how the 2280 phone system works? We used to have the 33 phone system and thought we were being upgraded to cordless only to find ourselves stuck with the 2280.

We are currently having a hard time picking up the phones in "overnight" mode from any place other than guest services or the FRO desk. Used to on the 33 system we could hit "8" and pick up the phone from anywhere else. Also, our overhead page system doesn't seem to be working so we have no way of making closing announcements. This may be a glitch in the phone itself. They're sending a tech to look at it but just in case... how do you overhead on the 2280? Maybe we're doing something wrong.

I don't know a ton about them but maybe I can help a little.
You pick up the receiver and dial 52 to use the PA for announcements.
It's 5529 to answer calls when it's on night ringer, but we've started having trouble answering calls at the FR when it's on night ringer.
We can forward calls to the jewelry cordless by hitting call forward and the jewelry extension.
If you answer calls on the extension press flash/2280 or flash/2281 to transfer.
How are you answering calls at the FR when it's on night ringer?

http://thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/the-tbr-guide-to-phone-calls-and-call-buttons.11035/

This is more salesfloor but it does have some information.

The main difference from the 33 system to the 2280 system is the need to hit # before you do anything on a red "speed of service" phone. Cordless phones do not. Many are annoyed by this, but I like it, for the sole reason that the operator doesn't announce "Toys, call on pound-2280." This means that the opportunistic teenagers that would hear calls from when we had the 33 system "Toys, call on 33" and pick them up are now foiled when the FRO answers their request to pick up 2280. Also, all extensions now have a 3 at the front of them. An example, AP Office is no longer 209, it's 3209. The 2280 system also brings with it the ability to call other stores by dialing 20+4-digit store number, ex. 209999 for store #9999. At my store, only Electronics and Photo have cordless phones, and nobody knows their extensions. But then again, our registers have no phones either.

It would be nice if the FRO had a cordless phone, so they didn't have to put it on night ringer every time they had to go zone. The annoying incessant binging is, well, annoying. Many salesfloor TM's feel the need to become Captain Obvious and get on the walkie "Operator, you have a call waiting" as though the operator doesn't know.
To make overhead pages, press #52 on a red phone (Note, you're not supposed to overhead on a red phone, and I've not tried, so I don't know if it works) or 52 on a Cisco phone.
To set off an indyme call request (Fast service needed in......) when a guest asks for someone to meet them via a red phone, wait for them to hang up, and press 1, then hang up.
To answer night ringer calls at places other than FR, press #5529.

Does anyone know how many extensions are available to park a call on? Does it range from 2280 to 2290 or something less/more? I'd like to be able to park a call on the extension farthest from 2280 so the operator doesn't have to navigate around my call on hold to park another, but I don't want to park a call on a nonexistent extension. Also, can you park a call on 2280 and pick it up from a different phone? Months ago, before we had 2280, the 33 system would give busy signals if I put someone on hold on 33 in Pets and picked up the Domestics phone and tried to pick up 33.

The instructions for transferring a phone call is printed inside the doors at each phone. You press the phone lever down once and dial 2180, 2182, 2183 or whatever. Then it's #2280 to answer.

From another thread:
There are two different phone systems: the 33 system and the 2280 system.

33 system: If the operator says "XYZ, you have a call on 33," pick up the phone, dial 33, and start talking. To put the call on hold, press the receiver button quickly so you hear a funny tone (not the dial tone - if you hear that, you hung up), dial 33 or whatever line you're parking the call on (34, 35, 36), and hang up the phone.

To clear an indyme (call button request) on a phone that uses the 33 system, press the small button on the side of the phone.

2280 system: If the operator says "XYZ, you have a call on 2280," pick up the phone, wait for the automated voice to start talking, then dial #2280. You'll hear three beeps, then when you start to hear background noise, you can start talking. To put the call on hold, press the receiver button so you hear the dial tone, dial 2180 or whatever line you're parking the call on (2181, 2182, 2183, etc.), and hang up the phone.

To clear an indyme on a phone that uses the 2280 system, pick up the phone, wait for the automated voice to start talking, and hang it up.

Does anyone know how many extensions are available to park a call on? Does it range from 2280 to 2290 or something less/more? I'd like to be able to park a call on the extension farthest from 2280 so the operator doesn't have to navigate around my call on hold to park another, but I don't want to park a call on a nonexistent extension.

If I remember correctly, the extensions go from 2280 to 2286. We never seem to use anything higher than 2283 though.

Also, can you park a call on 2280 and pick it up from a different phone? Months ago, before we had 2280, the 33 system would give busy signals if I put someone on hold on 33 in Pets and picked up the Domestics phone and tried to pick up 33.

Yes, you can take the same call on a different phone with the 2280 system. This is helpful if you need someone in another department to take the call (silly operator, crib sheets aren't in domestics) or need to transfer to the LOD or GSTL. It also helps if a phone isn't working well and you want to use a different one.

With the 33 system, we could only pick up a call on the phone we parked it with unless it rang back to the operator. And when calls rang back, the phone you used to park the call would ring, confusing the hell out of everybody.

Well, it's official. There's something screwy with our phone system. We have t he 2280 (just got it) and we cannot pick up any calls from the red phones on the sales floor at all. We at first were just inputting the line number but after reading this we started trying the #2280 from red phones and it still does not work. At this point we cannot overhead OR pick up lines anywhere except the FRO and Guest Services. >< Our SFT has a call out to corporate to get someone in to figure this out. But in the meantime we have to deal with the hell it's creating.

Edit - We cannot overhead from anywhere, not even the FRO or GS.

I don't know a ton about them but maybe I can help a little.
You pick up the receiver and dial 52 to use the PA for announcements.
It's 5529 to answer calls when it's on night ringer, but we've started having trouble answering calls at the FR when it's on night ringer.
We can forward calls to the jewelry cordless by hitting call forward and the jewelry extension.
If you answer calls on the extension press flash/2280 or flash/2281 to transfer.
How are you answering calls at the FR when it's on night ringer?

We're ussing the 5529... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Creating massive headaches for our poor operators. ><

The instructions for transferring a phone call is printed inside the doors at each phone. You press the phone lever down once and dial 2180, 2182, 2183 or whatever. Then it's #2280 to answer.

So it's 2180 to park a call and #2280 to pick up a call on the same line? For instance... call gets transferred to me and I pick it up with #2280 and talk to the guest and they want me to go look for something so I park the call back on the same line by using 2180? Just checking.

Well, it's official. There's something screwy with our phone system. We have t he 2280 (just got it) and we cannot pick up any calls from the red phones on the sales floor at all. We at first were just inputting the line number but after reading this we started trying the #2280 from red phones and it still does not work. At this point we cannot overhead OR pick up lines anywhere except the FRO and Guest Services. >< Our SFT has a call out to corporate to get someone in to figure this out. But in the meantime we have to deal with the hell it's creating.

Edit - We cannot overhead from anywhere, not even the FRO or GS.

When we got the 2280 system, we had all kinds of problems with the red phones for months after the installation. Eventually, I got in the habit of heading toward electronics anytime hardlines had a phone call.

So it's 2180 to park a call and #2280 to pick up a call on the same line? For instance... call gets transferred to me and I pick it up with #2280 and talk to the guest and they want me to go look for something so I park the call back on the same line by using 2180? Just checking.

Yes, that is correct.

Sadly even our electronics can't answer the phones. The only phones in the building that work are the FRO, Guest Services, HR, and Pharmacy because they have the actual phone plugged into the wall. The hand sets won't work. The red phones will not work and we just discovered that neither will our indymes. When you pick up the red phones she says "I'll transfer your call to a team member" and then it rings and rings and rings and never stops ringing (it won't even transfer to the operator like it used to). And the indyme is not transferring over to the walkies so we haven't heard "guest service needed in..." since they hooked this system up. Thankfully they have a work order in and someone is supposed to come out and address the issue. Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated. :)

What was wrong with the phone before? Sometimes Spot needs to learn to leave well enough alone

Maybe my store is just bonkers but we have the 2280 system and to answer a call all you have to do is pick it up, dial 2280, and start talking. No waiting required.

What was wrong with the phone before? Sometimes Spot needs to learn to leave well enough alone

We were having issues off and on with the connection but to be honest we thought we were getting upgraded to a mobile system so our operator could answer phones while zoning. We were surprised with the 2280 which is thought of like an upgrade from the 33... but yeh, I'm not liking it so far. If it worked like it was supposed to I might not mind the change so much but learning a whole new system is stress enough without having that system constantly fail. And queencat we were trying to pick it up like that until everyone here said you needed the # sign. Either way it didn't work without it or with it and I even tried the pound at the beginning and the end of the number. Heck we threw a star in there a few times as well just for kicks >< Soooo annoying.

Sadly even our electronics can't answer the phones. The only phones in the building that work are the FRO, Guest Services, HR, and Pharmacy because they have the actual phone plugged into the wall. The hand sets won't work. The red phones will not work and we just discovered that neither will our indymes. When you pick up the red phones she says "I'll transfer your call to a team member" and then it rings and rings and rings and never stops ringing (it won't even transfer to the operator like it used to). And the indyme is not transferring over to the walkies so we haven't heard "guest service needed in..." since they hooked this system up. Thankfully they have a work order in and someone is supposed to come out and address the issue. Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated. :)

My store doesn't even have the voice. Just a dial tone and half the phones don't work, you can't pick up calls either because it immediately rings to the operator.

To pick up a call from a red phone you hit #228x where the x is 0-5. To park or transfer a call on a red phone you do a hook flash and dial 218x, where the x is 0-5, and then hang up. It's usually best to park a call on 82-85 in case the operator has other calls parked already. If you try to park the call on a line that already has a call parked, the call will ring back to you.

Cordless phones work similarly. Just dial 228x to pick up the call and just use flash + 218x to park a call.

Cisco phones (the corded ones throughout the store) work a little differently. Just dial 228x to pick up a call. To park a call you hit "dirTrsf" (direct transfer), dial 218x, and hit "Transfer" which should be the same button that said "dirTrsf" earlier.

You can also use these methods to directly transfer a call if you know the extension.

Learning how to park calls will save you a lot of steps! I wish someone had taught me, but I pretty much had to learn how to transfer on the red phone myself. I hung up on several people before I figured out how to do it correctly... Oops! I'm the one that taught everyone how to transfer on the cordless phones. The most common mistake I've seen is trying to park calls using 22 instead of 21. That will never work!

Thanks @sigma7

Quite often there is no one at the fitting room first thing in the morning and it's not uncommon to hear that annoying "ding" for several minutes (plus the STL yelling over the walkie for someone to get it).

Now I know that if needed, I can pick up from the red phone, FR, or the Cisco phone at the Ship from Store workstation.

I always thought calls were parked on the Cisco phones by hitting "more" and "park" (how it's done with the same phones at my other job).

You might be able to do that, but none of the phones at my store have a"park" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back