Archived 90 Day Probation as a Cashier, what keeps you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a cashier, I would seek out things to do during downtime because I hated standing around.

Last year, our genius DTL decided that cashiers shouldn't be doing tasks anymore; instead, they should be standing at the end of their lane waiting for guests. But nobody really cares anymore. Whenever my ETL-Softlines is the closing LOD, he wheels a table or two from RTW to the front end so the TM at the service desk or self-checkout can fold everything.

If you have time to lean, then you have time to clean zone. :D
I wish we had tasks to do instead of standing at the end waiting for guests, it's so pointless and a waste of time but at my location that's the only thing you're required to do other than zoning your lane.

One of our GS(A/TL)s has started putting together lists of extra tasks each of the cashiers should try and get done throughout their shift. It's basically the best thing ever. It's extra work I don't mind (and enjoy) doing, and it gets me off the lane for a while.

EDIT: @poohbear80, does your Target have the card wall next to the lanes? Zone the ever loving shit out of it. No one seems to, but people love it when it gets done.

and oddly enough, I like zoning

One of our GS(A/TL)s has started putting together lists of extra tasks each of the cashiers should try and get done throughout their shift. It's basically the best thing ever. It's extra work I don't mind (and enjoy) doing, and it gets me off the lane for a while.

EDIT: @poohbear80, does your Target have the card wall next to the lanes? Zone the ever loving shit out of it. No one seems to, but people love it when it gets done.

and oddly enough, I like zoning
Yes, every lane has cards which are always perfect, i'm telling you zoning the checklanes, even the ones next to mine if I'm free can be done within 2 minutes. This is a good thing that the store is so clean but just leaves me with standing at the front with any spare time I have :)

One thing that has been bothering me is how many times I've been asked to stay past my shift or getting called on my days off because of a cashier calling out. Just last night I stayed an extra two hours which I was only asked for one but it turned into two making it a 10 hour day for me. I've been having a bout of the flu which doesn't seem to end and I do not call out, I'm always at my scheduled shifts on time, and before I left the same LOD asks if I can come in tomorrow morning (my day off) there might be an available shift for a call out, I had family coming to visit I haven't seen in a year so I had to decline and honestly I was pissed she even asked after I stayed late for her. I get a VM this morning from another LOD whom did not get the message from the previous nights LOD that I couldn't come, asking the same thing if I can come in today 9:30am-7pm and my head is spinning, it didn't even make sense because I would go into overtime. Like I mentioned before this happens often. I have no issue with coming in at my scheduled time or staying late once in a blue moon but I am not working in a hospital on call, I am just a TM.

Edit 2 days after I made this post, I was asked again today to stay an additional 2 hours due to a call out, this is happening twice a week now and then voicemails on my days off such as today. I work in a highly compliant store (with the exception of the morning shift cashiers with children to get home to, they aren't asked for anything outside their shifts, they don't even have to work weekends) and I feel very out of place and stressed trying to dodge the LODS half the time. Is this most Target stores and if so do I need to find another workplace where you have a schedule and that's when you work except on a rare occasion like my last job? I mean I'm moving in a few months so I won't be at this store anymore anyway but it's gotten so bad 2 stay lates and a request to work on a day off every week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back