Archived 99.5% Chance I'm Fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSAhole

Former GSA
So here goes.

I've been avoiding this place a little on purpose, because I knew what I did was stupid and I didn't want to hear the negativity. But fuck it, I want to still be part of the Break Room after I'm gone (which is very highly likely) so I figure I need to get it all out and I don't believe in anything other than honesty (I'll walk the walk of shame, deservedly).

So here's what happened:

One night, when I was on my lunch, my good friend, who works with me at Target, came up shop. We had already planned out that we were going to go have a girls' night at the pool the next day and drink some wine, so when she came up I asked her if she wanted to go ahead and buy the wine. We agreed, and I purchased a box of wine and she took it home with her (I'm obviously not keeping a box of wine with me at work).

It slips my mind the girl is only 20, turning 21 in 13 days. We have so much in common, she is a single mother like I am, she pays her own bills and is an independent young woman. I trust and relate to very few people, but her, I can relate to and trust 100 percent. Her age doesn't ever pop into my mind...so I purchase the wine (yes, i paid for it, not her) and then afterwards she leaves with it.

Well, come to find out, our TPS saw this go down and told our ETL-AP and he pulled video. I know this because the TPS told my fellow GSA, who is also a good friend of mine, and she told me.

This went down on my TPS's last day...given the time it happened, it was his last hour...maybe last 30 mins.

So, to conclude, just a few days ago my ETL-AP called me in and told me that he knew of the situation, and basically my ETL-HR is waiting to hear back from HRBP on the course of action, and that they don't know at this point what is going to happen. My conclusion is that if HRBP is involved is that I'm royally fucked. I spoke to my Sr. GSTL and he said he thinks me and the other girl will be fired. I also spoke to me ETL-GE, and he said that he doesn't think we will be fired, but he can't guarantee anything and he really doesn't know. He said he can also push back and say that that's not what he wants to happen if that's what they say, but I don't know how well that will work.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I'm screwed.

I hate Target anyway. I just wanted to quit on my own terms, not get fucking fired.

I should know by Tuesday, when my ETL-HR is back, so I'll keep you guys updated.

Also, I know I'm dumb so please don't re-iterate (unless it's funny)

Last edited:
My suggestion is to wait till Tuesday. You maybe ok. As long as, the handoff of wine was not seen by the cameras. The burden on proof needs to be presented by spot. Heresay without proof may save you.

Sounds pretty rough.

My only advice for the future is to be careful with workplace relationships. I try to keep my work life and personal life as separate as possible for reasons such as this.

Best of luck to you!

I don't think you will get fired. I will be thinking of you, wish it was already Tuesday. Good luck. I wouldn't have thought anything of it cuz drinking age was 18 in NY back way back when. Is it 21 everywhere now?

Ugh. Not stupid. It just slipped your mind. The reason it went to the HRBP is because they have no idea what to do with it at the store level. You were on your lunch and off the clock. So the question is, if you do something illegal off the clock that doesn't technically directly involve the store (like theft or vandalism), can you still be fired?

Let us know how this all turns out!

I think the bigger issue is you buying alcohol while you are on your lunch... they have no proof that the girl is underage since nobody checked her id.

I think your biggest worry should be if they know shes underage, will they hand this off to the police. However at this point they would need to prove it was intended for her consumption, and not simply bringing it home for you later since you were still at work.

I think the bigger issue is you buying alcohol while you are on your lunch... they have no proof that the girl is underage since nobody checked her id.

I thought as long as you are 21 and over, you can buy whatever you want when you are off the clock? That is as long as any alcohol purchased is not on store grounds. Your car is your property. So you can store whatever you purchased (while off the clock) in your car.

According to the original post, the then-underage girl works for spot so they likely know that she wasn't legal at the time. Also mentioned was that the TPS not only saw it but pulled video so they have you dead to rights.
That being said if questioned, you can tell them honestly that it DID slip your mind because it would be difficult to prove deliberate intent.
You can mention the backstory on your TPS to your ETL but it may not carry much weight with the HRBP.
It's really a toss-up but I hope you can avoid termination & if you do, I'd start looking for another job because your TPS is not gonna stop looking for ways to get you tossed now that he's found an opening.

I would think they would have to prove intent, otherwise you bought it for toy and she was merely taking it off store grounds for you.

People do it all the time, nobody cares at my store as long as you're not drinking it. I've had an ETL ring it up for me at close.
I'm sure it's all bound to change after this though.
My suggestion is to wait till Tuesday. You maybe ok. As long as, the handoff of wine was not seen by the cameras. The burden on proof needs to be presented by spot. Heresay without proof may save you.

It was on the cameras. My ETL-AP made sure to describe what he saw when he pulled video.

Ugh. Not stupid. It just slipped your mind. The reason it went to the HRBP is because they have no idea what to do with it at the store level. You were on your lunch and off the clock. So the question is, if you do something illegal off the clock that doesn't technically directly involve the store (like theft or vandalism), can you still be fired?

Let us know how this all turns out!

as i remember based on the handbook it mentioned that buying alcohol during lunch break is not allowed . a couple of months ago a cashier got fir just after one week because she bough boxed wine during here lunch break , i was actually pushing in that area and saw her grabbing the wine, i thought she was a new team member who didn't know it was wine .

as i remember based on the handbook it mentioned that buying alcohol during lunch break is not allowed . a couple of months ago a cashier got fir just after one week because she bough boxed wine during here lunch break , i was actually pushing in that area and saw her grabbing the wine, i thought she was a new team member who didn't know it was wine .

It specifically says " TMs may purchase alcoholic beverages from the store during off duty hours."

That's pretty vague.

Does the TPS know your friend? Does he know shes underage? It sounds like to me by your post your TPS had his last day at Target? Like he quit? This could turn into a legal matter if the former TPS decides to report it to the police. A lot of cities offer a cash reward for reporting people that give alcohol to minors, my city offers a $50 cash reward for information that leads to a arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:
@GSAhole , the thing they will get you for is supplying an underage team member with alcohol. Whether you were on the clock or off the clock, you did it at your store. This is illegal, so I am willing to bet this will be a final warning, if not termination. If your friend didn't work there, it would be a little more of a grey area, but since she does...

I wish I could be more encouraging, but I want you going in with a realistic view on Tuesday.

I think your biggest worry should be if they know shes underage, will they hand this off to the police. However at this point they would need to prove it was intended for her consumption, and not simply bringing it home for you later since you were still at work.
They won't hand it off to the police, because then Target could get busted for underage sale or contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

They won't hand it off to the police, because then Target could get busted for underage sale or contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
The former TPS could report it. The OP said it was his last day. My city offers a cash reward for reporting people that buy alcohol for minors...im sure the OP'S city has some type of program in place too.

The former TPS could report it. The OP said it was his last day. My city offers a cash reward for reporting people that buy alcohol for minors...im sure the OP'S city has some type of program in place too.
Target won't be happy with the fine incurred if the TPS reports it. And the TPS would have to have proof. Did he get to take that video with him? I'm fairly certain Target would deny, deny, deny. The fines are pretty hefty and could lead to suspension of liquor license for a week, depending on that city's laws.

Target won't be happy with the fine incurred if the TPS reports it. And the TPS would have to have proof. Did he get to take that video with him? I'm fairly certain Target would deny, deny, deny. The fines are pretty hefty and could lead to suspension of liquor license for a week, depending on that city's laws.
I just wanted the OP to be prepared on the small chance the police somehow get involved. If the TPS had it out for Target and the OP he could of saved the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back