Archived A bit of a rant about putting my two weeks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTGOz

Suitable
So, I just recently earlier this week got another interview for a car sales interview. Went in, did a really awesome job! Got told to come back in Thursday at 9am for an orientation. It also happened to be me and my girlfriend's third year anniversary, and she was okay with it, but not happy. So, I went in. It was great! I learned a lot of valuable stuff and I learned how the sales process works, how to do a car trade value, and how to walk around a new car to describe the car and give it value. Really great day, great meeting the teacher there and the guys.

Around the end of the orientation, the guy named Bob who was paid to come in and help the dealership hire people, mentioned "Oh yeah, and tomorrow come back in at 9am, the big bosses will be here to tell you which store you're going to!" and I'm like "Huh? Oh well, that would of been cool to know I might not be working at this store, but that's fine!" At the end of the day, Bob had taken me back 1 on 1 and had a discussion with me "Oh TTGOz, it's been great having you, you've made it a lot of fun, I think you're gonna be one of the best ones out of this group." and I'm like "aw shit thanks." and left.

So I went home, got my GF, went to a hotel, spent the night there. Woke up bright and early at 8am to get some breakfast and then showered and went back into town for this selection. Bob is telling us all these things, how to present ourselves to the bosses etc. The big boys come in from both stores, sit down, me and the entire orientation presents ourselves to them, and they're all taking notes and listening to us. At the end, they tell us "Okay, now, we will talk 1 on 1 with everyone here to let them know any details and what we think." and these two girls had to go first because they had to get going to their jobs. I was 4th in line to talk to them, and my God everyone was talking to them for at least 15-30 minutes. I'm like "Shit, this is taking forever." because I had to get back to my girlfriend at the hotel.

Finally, it's my turn, I walk back to the office with the four guys, and they sit me down, tell me their names, shake hands etc. The general manager of the store I applied to acknowledges I've applied here before, and all the other guys acknowledge it, and tell me they never came to a decision. Then they're asking me questions like "So, if we don't choose you for employment, what will you do after?" and "Would you be interested in any other employment opportunities with us outside of car sales if we don't choose you?" and I'm like what?

I'm practically steaming inside, I just went through all of this, to not even this entire time be hired, I spent special parts of my day with them that could have been spent with my girlfriend, thinking I was hired, and doing whatever they ask of me so I can start ASAP. I've posted my two week resignation for this, and the tone of "We don't want you" has been already set, can't forget my 1 on 1 with them only took three minutes, while everyone else so far had taken at least 20 minutes talking with them.

Of course, I never expressed any anger or remorse towards them. I really love that guy Bob that I've been with the past three days who's been training us, but at the interview he made it sound like I was hired. He said "Welcome to the team!" and told me to be at orientation at 9am Thursday. I thought I was being orientated for my new job, but I literally got trained for all that time just to be asked "If we don't consider you, what will you do?" by the big bosses.

Fuck, I already know I'm not hired. Everyone else's resumes there were at least 3 pages long, they've done college, have 20+ years in the auto service industry or pharmaceutical sales industry. I'm just a guy, just graduated, I have literally nothing to offer in terms of what I do and in experience, but I know I can do the job, hell, the guy only had me participating in the whole thing because I was snappy with the answers and he even pulled me back after everyone left. He knows I can, but I can't help but feel really fucking stupid lol. I'm too embarrassed to really even talk to anyone about it but for some reason this is my safe place.

But, I don't think I'm gonna rescind my two weeks, I really need to start making more than $11.25 an hour and Target just isn't gonna work out for me, no matter how long or hard I try there. They asked if I had a Plan B, and I said not really, but I do, I've always had one, and that's working at my dad's work's warehouse for $17 an hour. Just sucks being the underdog in the world, right now. I don't have nearly as much experience but I had the same motivation and strength to do it. I was the one to impress, but I didn't make much of an impact to even get talked to for 5 minutes lol.

Oh well, Bob taught me to say when you can't close a deal, there's always another customer that comes along, and in my case, another job. "Can't close the deal? Oh well, move on! Next." is what he said.

Honestly @TTGOz, being a car salesman is a really tough go. They paint rosy stories of how much you can make but the reality is that it is a commission job and every single one of those guys they hired are fighting for the sale...not to mention the old timers. My brother-in-law was a car salesman for about 9 months and it was brutally cutthroat and he never came close to making the $ they said was possible.

I know you are bummed and I'm sorry about that. Have you considered going the 2 job route for awhile?

@TTGOz don't have too much pride to rescind your two weeks. You are a diligent hard worker and I think Target has done wonders for your job skills and confidence. From the sounds of it you used to be a complete pushover and now you have a good handle on how the business works.

If you want to get out of Target that's fine but I would do it once you have another job already lined up.

@Anelmi Agreed when he said he got the job it sounded too good to be true. It's definitely a dog eat dog world in sales

I've thought about the two job route, I just would much rather find myself working at one place to avoid scheduling conflict and availability. As long as I sold 1 car, I had $2000 in the bank for the month + any 10/10 referrals gave me $100, good surveys an extra $40, and every 7th 10/10 survey was an extra $100, giving warranties was an extra $50, and you got a $50-$100 bonus if it's a new or used car you sold. Lots of other extra ways to earn money. I would of been out of there if commission wasn't Volume Based and I made 20% off of Gross Profit Made per car.

It's not really my pride of taking my two weeks back, I just genuinely think I'm done with Spot for now. I've always talked about how I need to make more money to support me and my adult things like a house/apartment, girlfriend, bills, groceries etc, and Target just won't cut it any longer. I was also surprised by how easy it was to just get a "Yes!" at the interview.

Oh well, let live and let learn, I got closure for the last time I applied, and this time I haven't been told yes or no but the tone's been set for me. I just finished an application to a full time warehouse position, first shift, 8-4:30 mon-fri, weekends off, OT likely, and might have to work one Saturday a month(and that's fine I already work every saturday anyways) not sure what starting pay is, I do know 2nd shift starts at $17 an hour, but if I start a $15 that's fine.

Rent is about $900 at the cheapest starting, I just don't wanna be the kind of guy living pay check to paycheck with Target because I'll be dedicating pretty much everything to Rent, car bills, other bills... and probably have nothing left over for the month. My girlfriend would be the one having to do essentials and necessities but she also has her car bills/gas/bills etc, just not rent and things. I just have a financial need right now that Target can't fulfill for me right now, unfortunately.

In light of not even knowing if I've got the car sales job, I have just applied to a few different jobs and hoping for the best.

I was in a pretty bad mood last night and was able to sleep the mood off. I had an emotionally unstable 17 year old brother screaming at my dad and slapping himself, all because he and my other brother got in a mini fight because he wouldn't let him have a cigarette(they both have smoked since ages 11-13), and the whole car sales outcome, wasting time I could have spent with my girlfriend, just wasn't a good night for me.

Have you thought about furthering your education by learning a trade, or getting a degree or certification?
Otherwise your income earning potential is likely to always be on the "I'm barely covering my bills" side.

You still live at home, so your other expenses are more manageable than being on your own. One of my kids is working an internship (Engineering student) and makes 20/hr.

Have you thought about furthering your education by learning a trade, or getting a degree or certification?
Otherwise your income earning potential is likely to always be on the "I'm barely covering my bills" side.

You still live at home, so your other expenses are more manageable than being on your own. One of my kids is working an internship (Engineering student) and makes 20/hr.

Really good advice. It's a little dangerous to plan on making just enough money to get by. Life changes so much you need to always be thinking down the road.

I think you got lucky to miss out on car sales as well. Most of the successful ones I know do it as a second job or have been in so long they have regulars and corporate buyers that help even out a bad week/ month.

Trade school is a great suggestion. I feel you on spot just not fulfilling the need anymore. Have you thought about security? Guard card isn't hard to qualify for, most pay $13-15 on average nationally. And if you can show up for work and follow directions you've already covered the hard part of most posts. Plus they give you a uniform.

An opportunity came up for me to interview for a car sales job too. Not my dream job but I feel I need to break into something new and I feel like my time at Spot is up. I already have a CA and despite trying my best they are going to find some way to get rid of me

I think for the mean time I am going to go and rescind my two weeks. No shame, I just can't afford to be without Target right now. I was hoping a few jobs I've applied to would have gotten back to me already but it's pretty dry after 2-3 days, granted I should give them time, but if I don't act soon enough I won't be on schedule for next schedule.

An opportunity came up for me to interview for a car sales job too. Not my dream job but I feel I need to break into something new and I feel like my time at Spot is up. I already have a CA and despite trying my best they are going to find some way to get rid of me

I'd still love to do car sales, will have to wait for the next opportunity. Not sure why it's so damn hard to get a sales job, especially when details entail "Entry level, no prior experience needed, will provide all training" but I get signed up for some america's next top model B.S lol. For sure I'm the only one out of employment for the whole group of people I was with. I'm sure it's because my resume and experience with work is much smaller than there's. I'm not upset or angry anymore but still makes me kind of salty lmao. I'm not even sure if I'm hired or not, I will be inquiring sometime tomorrow more than likely. Also good to mention there's 20 car sales positions open between each store, and only 7 of us including me made it to the end of the 3 days without pussying out. They literally should hire all of us because the dealership paid $5000 to have the guy brought here to teach us, and not having a 100% turn over ratio is slightly un-logical to me, they should at least give me a chance after 18 hours of Car Sales training.

Don't make my mistake, make sure you're not getting setup for the same kind of thing as I did. I should of been more on top of my shit and in the final 1 on 1's with the big bosses I should of been more forward about the whole "I thought I was hired." and "You sound like you don't want me right off of the bat." but I didn't speak up once about it. You definitely need balls to do it, so I'm sure it's appreciated if you can speak up for yourself, because it means you have 100% confidence in dealing with potential customers. I can speak up for myself, but in the heat of the moment, I was still trying to figure it out for myself what was happening.

I think just in general I'd do very well in Car Sales, but I have a resume that lacks substance and for some reason taking a whole 3-day course, 6 hours each, and $5000 paid to the guy that talked to us for those 3 days for 6 hours each, isn't enough. I think that's kind of a serious problem but no doubt if you have real prior sales experience you will certainly get the job... it doesn't take a brain to do it, takes wits, though. You do have to know what you're talking about when it comes to cars, and leave all the numbers up to your Sales Manager, he/she will work and close the deals for you. Anyone asks about numbers? Let the manager deal with the numbers, your focus is on selling the car and adding value to it to make it worth something to the eyes of customers. Of course, sooner or later, you will have to begin starting to close your own deals and do your own paperwork, but for the time being your sales manager will be more than happy to close your deals and earn YOU money, all you have to do is sell the car, this is all while you train. Cars are kind of my thing and I've always been good with information, no doubt I would of been making at least 50k a year.

It's also good to act like you're better than everyone else being considered for hire, LMAO. Good luck, though, I hope you get the job. You will have to update us and let us know what's good! I'd love to talk to someone about the Art of Selling Cars, PM me if you wanna talk!

Really good advice. It's a little dangerous to plan on making just enough money to get by. Life changes so much you need to always be thinking down the road.
Definitely not wrong, I've always been keen on adapting to current situations and I've said it before but adapting is a key skill to survival. I'm going to just rescind my 2-weeks if I can't get anything to pan out in the next day. Going to call and see if they want me or not, and if not, I'll go in and ask to shred my two-weeks because I love Target too much.

I would love to do a Trade School, I can see myself working an Autocare position, definitely would add sustenance to a resume if I ever look into Car Sales again. Everyone there in my group had at least 2-3 years in auto service centers and one guy was a Walmart AutoCare manager currently at the time he was applying for this car sales position. I'd be interested in doing Carpentry or home interior design, I wouldn't mind redoing people's kitchens and houses for a living lol. Carpentry is also a major look into for me.

If I stay with Target, college will be on the list, and is definitely a possibility. I'd love to do Online College, don't want to move away or commute 40miles to the nearest college. I just feel kind of weird, after 3 days of being taught how to essentially be an asshole, I came back to work today and I was just super serious with everyone. I mean I still joked and had fun like my old self but I feel grown? I don't know how to describe it, but the experience definitely changed my personal demeanor. I was on my top of my toes today and just felt relatively like I had everything perfectly in control lol.

Thank you for the advice, everybody, I will never forget this. It's good to have a shoulder to lean on from time to time... even if it's over the internet.

Car max is a 2nd option. They love spot folks.

oh yeah totally forgot about them folk. Nearest Carmax is in Minneapolis, not too fond of a long commute daily. They work off of Gross Profit Commission I think though, not sure, would have to look into it. I really liked the Volume Based Commission pay plan, more money per car and pretty much less work... you're only concerned on selling the car, not getting the most profit.

I'd love to do sales for a used car lot as a side job, perhaps. I've been wanting to start up my own side hustle selling cars I fix and reselling for profit.

Thank you for the advice, everybody, I will never forget this. It's good to have a shoulder to lean on from time to time... even if it's over the internet.

I'm not sure anyone wears their heart on their sleeve in this community like you do. I honestly didn't want to lose you here. Huge contributor to the site

I'm not sure anyone wears their heart on their sleeve in this community like you do. I honestly didn't want to lose you here. Huge contributor to the site

Thanks, HRZone, it means a lot. I would have stayed still, though ;) Can't just walk out! I really didn't wanna leave all of the relationships I've built within Spot and here at TBR. Just too much to walk away from right now, I think.

I really didn't wanna leave all of the relationships I've built within Spot and here at TBR.
Psh, I've left spot for a while now and I still come here daily. There was a bit where I was hit or miss with being here but now I've built it back up to being daily.

in my time here, I vow to make the top viewed profiles

support me in my royal campaign

You shall not leave sir meme Lord
No plans on it! Eventually I will become the overlord of my own section on this forums, I swear by it. If I have to pay Mr. Sage or the admins to give me my own section up top so be it.

in my time here, I vow to make the top viewed profiles

support me in my royal campaign
You'll have to go through me first!
tumblr_lkg9nuYK6e1qhigt0o1_r1_400.gif

No plans on it! Eventually I will become the overlord of my own section on this forums, I swear by it. If I have to pay Mr. Sage or the admins to give me my own section up top so be it.

You'll have to go through me first!
tumblr_lkg9nuYK6e1qhigt0o1_r1_400.gif

Its on!!!

Reactions: Him
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back