Archived A Question for GSTLs

Do you see your GSAs as peers or subordinates?

• Peers

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Subordinates

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I’m in the front lanes (I’m not a GSTL), I do talk to them as peers because ultimately we share the same goal but at the end of the day they aren’t peers because we are accountable for their performance so it’s tough.

I always look at anyone in the GSA role as someone who could potentially become a Team Leader. I think the more successful GSA’s are ones who could easily make the transition even if that is not something they want.

Anyone thats not a TL is a subordinate.
The wisdom,prestige and respect that comes with being a TL can’t just be shared with anyone other than another TL.
TLs are like The Gestapo, we have a mission and can’t be bothered with the low level employees.

Last edited:
My GSAs were peers in my mind when it came to the front end. Regardless of title they were the defacto manager if we weren't around so it was important they know the lay of the land. It's a touch one though especially when it comes to coaching -- they can't "coach for performance" -- they can advise but could not discipline, but there are definitely times where they need to be the authority figure so there has to be that level of trust you would have in your peer vs. a subordinate.

I don’t like when GSAs act “above” me as a GSTM when in reality they’re peers. I’ve had GSAs try and “advise” me about best practice when 1) they were wrong or 2) I’m getting called out for something that everyone (including THEM) was doing and that’s when I stop going out of my way to help them.

Both. They're my managers and also someone to chit chat with in the break room. Out on the floor they're my team leaders, and outside of work they still are, but you've got to maintain a realistic expectation of how comfortable you can get with a leader in terms of being peers.

A lot of team leaders in my store like to joke around with other TMs and TLs and have fun but they also maintain that performance goal and they do run the team. A lot of team leaders have good chemistry that way in my store and a lot of them have found a good balance between work and having fun.

Work is work, it's not made to chit chat... but chit chatting helps.

Both. They're my managers and also someone to chit chat with in the break room. Out on the floor they're my team leaders, and outside of work they still are, but you've got to maintain a realistic expectation of how comfortable you can get with a leader in terms of being peers.

A lot of team leaders in my store like to joke around with other TMs and TLs and have fun but they also maintain that performance goal and they do run the team. A lot of team leaders have good chemistry that way in my store and a lot of them have found a good balance between work and having fun.

Work is work, it's not made to chit chat... but chit chatting helps.
What you talking about? I take it you are not a TL? Your post does not make any sense. Its like gibberish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back