A Random Thread

Aredhel

Jolly Rancher
I envy all of you who cook well and economically. I had to really work at it (learned as an adult) and had my erm, moments. Reasonably certain I didn’t blast anyone’s tastebuds...
To the Great Cooks I salute you. 🏆🏆🏆
Ps chickens will eat anything 😝

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
It's a learned skill. I eat a lot more healthy now, and that required learning new ways to cook.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
I made a stupid amount of roasted garlic today.
I bought a bag of garlic bulbs from Costco and used my turkey roaster.
Sliced the top of the bulbs, used some virgin olive oil, set the oven to 400, wrapped the bulbs in tin foil and cooked them for about 45 minutes.
It took three airtight bowel to store it all.
I now have enough roasted garlic to use for any dish.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
I'd like to cook in bulk, but that goes back to my husband not liking leftovers. That's why with making 22 meals yesterday, there were no duplicates, every meal was different in some way.

I can understand, which is why I'm somewhat accommodating. Somehow his mother managed to have exactly enough food at every meal, so he never ate leftovers or even had leftovers in the fridge until I moved in. So he never developed a taste for the same thing over two or three nights.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
One of my sisters is a terrible cook.
She keeps a fire extinguisher in the kitchen & knows how to reset the smoke detector (her husband has replaced it three times so far).
They both work in the tech industry so they eat out the majority of times; her husband even said that he never married her for her cooking.

Kartman

MasterBlaster
At least she's making an attempt, and being wise about doing it! Cheers!!!

Yetive

Servant of 2 Masters
Sliced the top of the bulbs, used some virgin olive oil, set the oven to 400, wrapped the bulbs in tin foil and cooked them for about 45 minutes.
Yum. Just spread it on toast.

TTGOz

Suitable
I never got to learn how to cook.

I am going to be 100% honest... If it wasn't for Gordon Ramsay on YouTube, youtube cooking shows, and watching other people cook.. I would have never been able to do it.

When youre meal prepping it's easy to learn because its nearly the same thing over and over with variant differences.

One thing I'm still trying to hone with cooking is my awareness of spices and seasonings, what goes good together, what doesn't go good together, etc... I also learned that more often less is more with seasoning. Don't make it too complex.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
For a complete beginner, I'd recommend a Betty Crocker cookbook. It has an entire section for the basics - how to properly use a microwave, exactly how to grill (guessing proper temperature, how outdoor weather conditions affect it), high altitude and canning, description of herb tastes and which food to pair them with, nutrition, food safety, properly storing food, how to properly measure. In each food section, there's advice for picking the proper food prior to cooking it.

Once you've got the basics down, then you can think of what you liked about a dish and alter a future different dish in a way that you find pleasing. It's not always going to work but you learn as much from your failures as you do from your successes. Also, people really don't taste everything the same as each other, so you gotta work with your taste sensory makeup. If you don't like sour but love bitter, you are going to like different foods that someone who thinks sour is enjoyable.

seasonaldude

Hitting All Items Scanned
I have the best cookbook. It's the Culinary Arts Institute of America's Encyclopedia of Cooking from 1968. That thing is thousands of pages long and falling apart at the seams. The first 100 pages are full of definitions, techniques, and suggested menus for nearly every occassion. Then it's just chock full of recipes. There are 5-10 on every page. Everything is perfectly spiced in it too.

Militantagnostic

Former associate of the Targetti Crime Syndicate
I'm giving my hopefully green thumb a shot, I planted some purple hull peas and "Love Lies Bleeding" amaranth today. It's the heat of summer but these are supposed to be two kinds of plants that thrive in these conditions. Just got to make sure they have enough moisture to not get cooked during the day.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
Why does my coworker playing on her phone and leaving her calls undone and not grabbing her fair share of unassigned customers drive me so batty? It doesn't affect my job, more customers for me increases my chances of getting more commission, I'll have a much easier time making my call quota. But when I see that I've got 80 customers to call and she has 25-30 and she hasn't finished her calls over the past few days while I have for mine, it just drives my sense of things should be fair up a wall.

TTGOz

Suitable
Costco is paying me to travel for training.
Pretty excited to be able to get into a Costco for my very first time and working my actual work center for a week.

What I'm not excited about is having to wake up at 5am and drive to make it to my 7am shift tomorrow and check into my hotel later on my lunch or something lol.

Oh well, this week alone I'm making ~$800 in double pay, regular pay, and a Sunday premium pay where we get time and a half every Sunday. Im gonna have a little over 200 miles needing reimbursement so I expect to have another $145ish from that.

I've been doing outside marketing for the grand opening and the shifts are utterly boring and the sun is brutal. Good to get a break but then I'm back at it again for another two weeks. Whatever I have to do, I guess. 😂😎

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
u29gp1tyknl11.jpg

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
I'm giving my hopefully green thumb a shot, I planted some purple hull peas and "Love Lies Bleeding" amaranth today. It's the heat of summer but these are supposed to be two kinds of plants that thrive in these conditions. Just got to make sure they have enough moisture to not get cooked during the day.
Got my box garden going with cilantro, garlic chive, sweet peppers, hatch & bell peppers & patio tomatoes.
Heat down here is perfect for them & we've had a wetter season than usual.

Me and my girls trying to act normal while checking out at the store getting more vodka when we’re all already drunk af
7B6FE867-75BE-454E-9A72-2233B2A79908.jpeg

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
:::looking at the rat's nest of wires behind my computer desk:::

Is it true you should not wrap or coil your computer wires because it will create a small electromagnet and the magnetism could damage the computer?

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member

Is it true you should not wrap or coil your computer wires because it will create a small electromagnet and the magnetism could damage the computer?

As long as you aren't wrapping them tightly around a metal pipe, it shouldn't be a problem.

Amanda Cantwell

Guest Service & Photo

I’ve never heard of that. I think you’re fine as long as you’re using a computer from the last 3 decades