Archived Accidentally took a Hardlines shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitii

yeah
Yep so this newbie I made friends with needed to switch shifts with someone and he asked me, and I was like, yeah sure! It was a 4 hr closing shift and I love those so npnp for me. So he tells me he'll go upstairs and do the form filling thing and I'm like okay cool. Fast forward to today and I realise...I took on a hardlines shift. He didn't mention it was for hardlines. I was on a register when he asked, when we met I told him I was a cashier, I've always been on a register so I assumed it was for one of his cashier shifts. Regardless it was changed on the schedule and I'm...not quite sure what to do. The shift is for Saturday and it's already Friday. Would I even be allowed to take this shift on if I have 0 training whatsoever? Would they actually be willing to train me? Should I back out like aw hell no I ain't touchin that shift?

I'd say just pair with someone knowledgeable on HL. I'm not entirely sure what it entails, but dependant on your store, you may be zoning, pushing pulls, helping lost sheep guests, and helping the front lanes if need be.

Also, reading the forum material on hardlines can help as well. It never hurts to cross train in another work center, you might like it!

Though there is a chance the LOD could just throw you at the front lanes, work enter be damned!

Yeah I've read the forum material and it helped a ton! I do actually wanna cross train in as many centers as I can [aka get out of cashiering whenever possible] but I was still confused about whether or not they'd actually let me. Though I do have a question about HL I don't think I saw on the guide...where do you go when you clock in? Cashier is just pick a lane and pray it works. Not sure about HL. If they do keep me out there I think they need walkies/mydevices too and I don't know where they keep those (which I'm very much sure depends on the store anyways) either.

Depending what day it is, they'll probably just have you zone and do go-backs. Don't be surprised if you like it better than cashiering. Cashiering gets so boring after a while.

For the walkies/myDevices, usually they are kept in the equipment room. Ours used to be at Guest Service, but moved up to TSC. It never hurts to ask!

As far as where to go, you'd probably be on the daily grid and your LOD will assign you a place ("Blue Wave", "Green Wave", "Market", etc). If you need to, partner with your LOD and ask where they need you if you are not put down anywhere.

We need some HL people in here!

If an ETL or LOD approved, then they should know you aren't trained and just covering, so you should be golden. Hardlines is actually really easy once you know what is expected of you, and you've already done some homework so you get the idea.
Just clock in and get a My Device and Walkie, if you can. If not find someone who has a Walkie and just let LOD know you are there and ask where to start, "where do you want me?". If I can't find anyone with a Walkie I go to the operator and use theirs.
A closing shift is usually just zoning and you can get all the tips on zoning here at this site. I'm barely getting good at zoning quickly 'cause of my OCD. Anyhow, don't worry too much about it. Do what your asked and you'll be fine lol

I've done this before (on purpose though). The most I did was zone and push a CAF or two. It's really easy though. If you know who the HLTL is, just let them know that you've never worked the floor and they should be able to let you know what you'll be doing.

A Saturday shift will also include ad takedown. Our LOD will normally write what time to start taking down the ad on the breakout and will normally call it over the walkie as well. You'll get a trash bag from one of the spill stations and just go down every row of your assigned section and pull off every sign with the current date in the bottom right corner. You also might have a few 7x11's. Remove those signs and their holders.

Thanks so much for all the tips guys! I feel much better going into this shift now and I hope I like it enough to ask for more shifts there

Thanks so much for all the tips guys! I feel much better going into this shift now and I hope I like it enough to ask for more shifts there

I'm not a cashier, but I've read enough threads to know, compared to cashiering or pushing and doing reshop, I would think you would feel like you died and went to heaven!

You will be ok. Just check in with Lod or TL, after you clock in. Let them know you have not done a HL shift. They will help you out. Grab equip(radio, my device). Don't forget say" hi" or can I help you find something with guests. Always smile to all guests.
There is an opportunity for red cards on salesfloor. Walk around the sales floor to get an idea where things are.
Good luck.

Last edited:
u wot m8

....h-how?

When working the floor, you'll be helping a ton of guests. When helping someone with furniture, seasonal, toys, or anything they might need to order online, talk to them about redcards. If they're interested, you can bring them up to a register and open one yourself.

I wish I was able to have a hardlines shift every once in a while. Too bad my store doesn't let cashiers cross train into anything but GS. :(

This is Kaitii reporting on their break;

hARDLINES IS SO ENJOYABLE

ZONING IS MY LOVE

NOT PUSHING RED CARDS EVERY TWO SECONDS IS BEAUTIFUL

LIFE IS GOOD
Congrats! Welcome to the salesfloor! Pharmacy is another place, where you don't have to push red cards, either.

Hardlines is like a drug to cashiers

You'll keep wanting more

Until you hear "team, we need a back-up to the lanes" every five minutes. Then you'll wish you were working in the backroom.

Pharmacy is another place, where you don't have to push red cards, either.

@tgtcpht, don't you guys have to get Red Cards? Pharmacy has their own crap to push anyways.

@tgtcpht, don't you guys have to get Red Cards? Pharmacy has their own crap to push anyways.
They don't hound us to get them like they do the cashiers, but yes, we are supposed to ask about them as well. We do get prompts from time to time, even though I've heard the prompts were supposed to have gone away. We usually get the prompts for debit cards when someone writes a check. I've actually had 2 successful sign-ups in the past couple months, but didn't get the "prizes" they were offering for everyone else because they were giving "extra 15s."

And yes, we have RxRewards, texting, flu shots, and every other vaccine to push at pharmacy. ;)

I keep catching myself wonder when I get to go back to the floor while looking towards it

It's starting

the sales floor withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back