Archived Adjusting shifts to better manage talent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a BR/IS TL and usually work mornings, however I'm considering working like a week straight of closing to deal with BR issues that seem to be occurring at night. Anyone else ever change their schedules because you find that it's hard to manage an area when you like never cross over with certain people? I feel like this is an extreme thing to do but I don't feel like the LODs are doing a good enough job following up with the team at night and it's a constant blame game back and forth between my team members and the leadership team. Hard to know who to believe.

Well, it speaks volumes for you as a leader that you are willing to do that. Most wouldn't be willing to do that .

It sucks to be you, lol! Dayside and closers need to be held accountable. Do it for a week, have some conversations and observe the process. Clearly it can't hurt. Good that you care enough to put yourself out for the overall big picture.

I have done it before and I would definitely recommend it, but you probably should try to work at least one closing shift every week or at least a late mid to see your closing team once in awhile.

Also you should level down one day and do the closing duties yourself so you can see how much work should be getting done on average. (They will know you mean business and maybe even respect you more)

I would create a checklist of their responsibilities and have them check them off, sign it, and turn it in to your mailbox every night. If they don't complete all of them, tell them to write a detailed description on why not. I'm recommending this, since you said your LODs are not following up enough. Now if they continue to not meet expectations, then simply coach them and tell them it's not acceptable. And by you working closing shifts for a week and maybe once a week, they can't give you any excuses because you know it can be done.

My guess is your LODs don't follow up not because they don't care but because they don't know enough of your particular work center too follow up. I would spend some time with the ones that aren't well experienced with logistics and show them what to look out for and tell them how much you would appreciate their follow up. What I do is tell the closing team member to always check out with the LOD before they leave and the LOD leaves it in their closing email. (Writing a Vibe card or a thank you email for when they do follow up always helps)

Well, it speaks volumes for you as a leader that you are willing to do that. Most wouldn't be willing to do that .

Agree with this 100% but don't kill yourself to make it happen. *Queue the cheesy music* We're a team and even the best leader in the world can't be there open to close so rely on your peers!

Also suggest partnering with an LOD that you know will give you the truth. I'm a SrTL and feel like it's such a great position to really connect with the other TLs and team members while still getting to have a specific workcenter to focus my efforts. There's more of a disconnect on the ETL to TM level so I feel I'm a bit more reliable when giving honest feedback about TMs.

Mostly, in my humble opinion, try to stay positive about it. Look for the ways to improve and where you can make the most difference vs. trying to bring all your D+ students to an A+. Without drinking too much kool-aid, find the right person for the right position and document those that aren't cutting it after setting the expectations. At least then if there's still issues you have put in the effort!

The step you are taking is a great way to understand what is going on in your workcenter. My recommendation would be the first night you do it don't tell the closing person why you are there at night, and don't give them any special instructions just observe and take notes on any opportunities. That way you can view the process organically and see how it works on a regular day instead of on a "oh shit my team leader is here, I better do my best" day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back