Archived Advice about new job & new availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

As some of you know, I graduated this past December after 7 long years of going to school part time to get my degree. Some of you also may know I sort of had a job lined up a few months ago (just didnt work out.)

Now I am proud to announce that I have accepted a job in my chosen field. It is a M-F 9-6 job. I will be making nearly 3 bucks more an hour that I do at Target.

Here is where I need advice. I want to continue to work Sundays only. I want Saturdays off as I have earned the right to have them off.

I have until next friday to submit my availability change for the week I start my new job

Here is my questions. Please note our ETL HR is on vacation.

1: Who should I talk to first about my new job?

2: What should I say to this HR TM/ETL/STL?

3: What should I say to this HR TM/ETL/STL about only working Sundays?

4: Should I submit my availability change before I talk to said HR TM/ETL/STL or what until if they want me to continue working Sundays?

5: Should I write a letter of resignation to my ETL HR?

Thank you all in advance

Congrats on the new job!
I'd say talk to your ETL first & let him know about the new job.
Also tell him that you don't want to leave Target completely but you'd only be available on Sundays & see what he/she says.
If they're willing to work with that, then & ONLY then should you approach HR.
If HR gives you a hassle, let the ETL know & stress that if they can't work with that you'll go ahead & work out your two weeks.
Set the tone as being grateful for the opportunity they gave you while keeping it friendly but firm.

Just be honest, only you know your ETL's. Tell them you graduated and you found a job in your field, however you would like to stay on and only work Sundays if you can. If you can't, then put in your notice. I would talk to them before you put in your avail change.

Congrats!! I agree with redeye I would talk to your etl let them know you still want to stay just only working Sunday's and see what they say. We have a few hardline tms that only work sat or sun due to other jobs our sf Etl was willing to work with that since he knew that on the weekends he would have a solid sf team.

One more question. Who's decision is it if I stay on or not whether that be in p fresh or any other area of the store?

Your Etl sf Etl hr will most likely be the ones. STL might give some input but most likely the Etl sf will be the big factor

Focus is on retention so much that most HRs worth their salt want to avoid terminating people so much that they're ok with making 1 day a week deals.

The only negative is my ETL can be quite negative attitude. He is a known jerk at my store. He does, however, have his moments, as rare as they are.

Well congrats on the new job. Why stay with target though? One day a week seems insignificant.

Well congrats on the new job. Why stay with target though? One day a week seems insignificant.

3 reasons. First is health insurance. My new health insurance doesn't kick in until 2 months after my new job starts. Second reason is the discount. I live pretty close to my store & I use my discount a lot. Third reason is back up. Just in case my new job doesn't work out, target will be my back up

Congrats on the new job!
I'd say talk to your ETL first & let him know about the new job.
Also tell him that you don't want to leave Target completely but you'd only be available on Sundays & see what he/she says.
If they're willing to work with that, then & ONLY then should you approach HR.
If HR gives you a hassle, let the ETL know & stress that if they can't work with that you'll go ahead & work out your two weeks.
Set the tone as being grateful for the opportunity they gave you while keeping it friendly but firm.

Can I ask why talk to my etl first instead of HR? As I said before, my etl can be a dick most of the time. I feel more comfortable talking to our awesome HR TM. If she says I have to talk to my etc, I will

HRTM can take care of just about anything at my store, but not this. I would go to your TL. If your ETL is a jerk, try your STL. We have 2 people in your position--a GSA and a HL TM. They both work Sunday morning doing ad then go to their respective areas. It has been great for Target to have 2 people who want to work every Sunday. STL will not want to term you because of retention goal.

So, put in a new availability, fill out a voluntary term form (get from HRTM), go to TL/STL/ETL and tell them the great news about your new job (congrats, by the way), and let them know that you would like to stay to work Sundays. If they do not want this, give them your term form and Happy Trails it is. If this is ok with your store, get with your HRTM at this point. Make sure she knows about your new availability before the new schedule(in case of foot dragging on approving the new availability). And write it down for her. She has 150 people telling her what they want and she can't possibly remember it all.

ASANTS of course. At my store, all of this could go through your TL, but in reading posts here, this doesn't seem to be the case everywhere. I realize your ETL is a dick, but imo you still need to talk with him about this.

3 reasons. First is health insurance. My new health insurance doesn't kick in until 2 months after my new job starts. Second reason is the discount. I live pretty close to my store & I use my discount a lot. Third reason is back up. Just in case my new job doesn't work out, target will be my back up
Smart thinking.

Your HRTM doesn't have any authority. If you can't go to your TL, you need to go to your ETL. He is ultimately the one who is responsible for coverage for your department and will be the one who will have the final say so on whether or not this will fly.

Your HRTM doesn't have any authority. If you can't go to your TL, you need to go to your ETL. He is ultimately the one who is responsible for coverage for your department and will be the one who will have the final say so on whether or not this will fly.

I see what you are saying. Since I stary me new job June 20th, in order for my new availability to be set that week, I need to talk to my etl by Friday at noon. But based on our schedules, I have to talk to him tomorrow

Well. I talked to HR yesterday. Told them I got a new job. I was first congratulated by the ETL HR. The ETL HR said it was expected I would get annother job since I graduated.

But the good news. She is fine with me working Sundays only. She is going to talk to my ETL if it will still be in p fresh or not. If not p fresh, then hardlines.

Obviously your HR was the better one to talk to first; I didn't realize your ETL was such a jerk.
Congrats on a great outcome :)

Not so fast on the outcome. So Wednesday, I spoke to my ETL hr about this. She was fine with me working Sundays. She said it would be up to my current etl to determine if I would still be in order pfresh or not (then I would be hardlines). She told me she would talk to my etl & I should submit my new availability after we were done talking. I submitted it & I told her (she acknowledge what i said). 2 days later, etl hr is out of state on vacation, my new availability hasn't been approved or denied & I haven't seen my current etl to talk to him about this.

So they need to approved it has she said she would or else I will quit on them. Do I really have to record conversations now to cover my ass?

Any advice?

Not so fast on the outcome. So Wednesday, I spoke to my ETL hr about this. She was fine with me working Sundays. She said it would be up to my current etl to determine if I would still be in order pfresh or not (then I would be hardlines). She told me she would talk to my etl & I should submit my new availability after we were done talking. I submitted it & I told her (she acknowledge what i said). 2 days later, etl hr is out of state on vacation, my new availability hasn't been approved or denied & I haven't seen my current etl to talk to him about this.

So they need to approved it has she said she would or else I will quit on them. Do I really have to record conversations now to cover my ass?

Any advice?

Talk to the first LOD you see. all the etl's have each others numbers so they can communicate.

Talk to the first LOD you see. all the etl's have each others numbers so they can communicate.

Well, I talked to the HR TM. She told me to talk to my ETL when he comes in to close to get him to approve my avaibility. When I told him we needed to talk, he said he knew, that he got 2 emails about it & only read those emails an hour ago (in a very annoyed voice). And that was it. No decision or anything.

If it is not approved when I come in for my mod shift, should I go to our STL and explain everything to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back