Archived Advice needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cashier baby

Hi so I actually need some advice from you guys!!

Ive been working at target since November of last year and I've always been a cashier, so it's almost been a year. My original store was ruined when hurricane irma hit, so many of my fellow coworkers got transferred to the other stores across the area that were closest to them. I've been at my current store for a little over a month.

The TM's here are great and super willing to cross train me, unlike my old store, where I have been asking to be cross trained ever since I passed my 90 days, the HR would always say this, "at the moment we don't have any spots right now but I'll keep you posted".

Anyways,one of the LOD's here was nice enough to give me lots of shifts in softlines and I learned a lot.

Now, I always check the schedules WEEKS in advance so that if I ever need to offer my shift (which is rare), it's not so last minute.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I saw that I had a 3:30-10:30 shift working in the fitting room. I had an important appointment to go to at 4 pm and I could NOT miss it for anything, so I put up that shift on the board for anyone to take.

Well, fast forward to 2 weeks later. The fitting room shift is the next day and I don't have anyone to cover it. Im working a closing shift as a cashier and the LOD comes up to me and says, hey you still have that shift up on the board, did you find anyone to cover it yet? and I said no, but I have an appointment tomorrow at 4pm and he said, okay well could you come in at around 5 or 6pm? And I honestly didn't think I could make it, but I just said "maybe" to ease both of our minds. But I didn't want to get in trouble so afterwards, I talked to both the LOD and the GSTL and said, listen, if anyone needs hours, offer them my shift because I can't work tomorrow.

Well, the night ended and I did not go into work the next day. I show up to work the day after that and every seems to be fine, until one of the GSTLs says that he needs to talk to me in the office room.

Long story short, I received corrective action. I've never gotten in trouble before so I was very nervous so I don't remember if he said coaching or corrective action but he used some kind of abbreviation like CCA or something like that.

He read off some kind of script and I was told to sign a paper. I saw that on that piece of paper it had a statement from the same LOD that I spoke to the day before, saying something along the lines of. "I asked her to come in around 5pm but she did not show up, etc".

My GSTL said that I cannot be late or call off until April, which is in 6 months. I've NEVER had a no call, no show during my time at target, and I'm not the type of employee to frequently call off. I can honestly say I can count on my hand the amount of times Ive properly called ahead and said that I could not come in.

Maybe I'm overthinking, but I think that's insane for someone who had their first no call, no show...especially when my LOD was aware of it, so it wasn't a surprise that I didn't show up. Again, before the incident, I was in good standing with everyone. I just need some advice from someone on what I should do.

Should I complain, should I keep my mouth shut? Will this affect anything regarding target? Is corrective action a common thing or is it something severe?

Also, what am I supposed to do if another situation happens and I have to call off? Will I get fired?

I just don't see why they needed to make it so severe, I mean.....6 MONTHS??, without calling off or being late? Im never ever late anyways, but I mean, life happens and I'm afraid that I'll get fired if I ever get stuck in traffic or something, especially since we are a Florida beach store and the tourists are coming down soon.

I depend on this job for everything, my bills, college, my well being, 401k, etc. Im only 20 and I COULD find another job, but I like target and I don't want to risk losing it.

Talk to your ETL HR about the situation. You should still be held accountable but maybe not a NCNS

Yes. Speak to your HR. If you told them that you wouldn't make it in, you can explain that you thought that was the same as calling in. And even if they don't change it, you won't get fired for small attendance infractions. A NCNS is actually a different type of CA than regular attendance anyway. Just be very careful about reading your schedule so you don't accidentally have another NCNS. Also, if you need to miss work, be sure to call so you have a record of it.

Technically you should've called your store at 5pm and told the LOD hey I thought I could make it but I'm not in the area so I cannot come in today. A no call, no show is automatically a corrective action so it's not like they were targeting you.

You can call out within that probationary period but just be very careful it's not excessive instances in a rolling month. They will have performance discussions with you regarding your attendance before it becomes a final, which is another CCA. A final has a probationary period of a year.

Long story short, they probably like you but you did end up NCNS and that's a CCA automatically so just keep up the good work and attendance. 6 months will fly by fast and it'll all be behind you.

Thank you all :) now that I know its pretty standard to get a corrective action, I feel a bit better now, but I'll definitely make sure to not let that happen again. I think maybe because it was a fitting room/operator shift, thats why they did it. Also, when I went back to work, the girls from softlines told me that the LOD didn't even tell them that I wouldn't be coming in, until it was around 3:38 and one of the girls says, what happened to our operator coming in at 3:30? and apparently he said, oh yeah she's not coming in today.

Technically you should've called your store at 5pm and told the LOD hey I thought I could make it but I'm not in the area so I cannot come in today.
OP said this, which I can see them thinking that was as good as calling off:

But I didn't want to get in trouble so afterwards, I talked to both the LOD and the GSTL and said, listen, if anyone needs hours, offer them my shift because I can't work tomorrow.

A question, did you tell when your schedule was up 2 weeks ago. Did you tell your tl or etl about the appt?

Also, when I went back to work, the girls from softlines told me that the LOD didn't even tell them that I wouldn't be coming in, until it was around 3:38 and one of the girls says, what happened to our operator coming in at 3:30? and apparently he said, oh yeah she's not coming in today
Sounds to me like he took the conversation as a call in.

If you can't make it in you need to flat out say so. I have replaced shifts for tms then they show up and want to work.

The 6 month warning was more of them trying to scare you. Don't NCNS again and it will be over before you know it. Unless you intend to promote or transfer the CA is relatively harmless.

A question, did you tell when your schedule was up 2 weeks ago. Did you tell your tl or etl about the appt?

No I didn't feel the need to since usually a team member will usually eventually pick up an offered shift. I'm not sure if this is the same in every store, but at least in my store, no one likes being in the fitting room lol, at all. So maybe thats why no one picked it up. But anyways, from now on I'll just make it to every shift and plan ahead unless if its an emergency like sickness.

Also, they have been willing to cross train me a lot at this store. I enjoy zoning and organizing a lot, so I think hardlines would be a good fit for me. Would the CA affect me being able to train in hardlines or any other department? I already know how to work softlines, cashiering, fitting room, back stock, guest services, self checkout and few more. I just haven't worked that much in the backroom yet.

Also, they have been willing to cross train me a lot at this store. I enjoy zoning and organizing a lot, so I think hardlines would be a good fit for me. Would the CA affect me being able to train in hardlines or any other department? I already know how to work softlines, cashiering, fitting room, back stock, guest services, self checkout and few more. I just haven't worked that much in the backroom yet.

You should be fine to pickup shifts.

Officially on a CA you cannot promote. Some stores define that as going from tm to tl. Some count promotion as going from a minimum wage position to a speciality position.

As long as you are willing to remain primarily a cashier I doubt you will have any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back