Archived Advice on changing workcenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcellow

No and that’s final
I work in an AAA+ prfresh store and I’m currently on a small overnight specialty team who only deals with an E2E department. We usually work on our own, the overnight leaders do not supervise us much unless we are behind on freight and they can lend a hand.

Which brings me to realize that being on this team, despite being a “captain”, there’s no room for me to develop to be a TL. I rotate being captain with 2 other people, I haven’t talked to my TL in like weeks (only does overnight once a month), have seen my ETL even less and there’s no recognition for anyone on the team despite being number 1 department in the store. Its almost like we don’t exist and it all just became clear when one of ours was offered a GSA position for dayside and was told that they want them to develop more, be visible and not be in the shadows of the overnight.

I don’t know if any of this made sense but yes, I think it might be time to move workcenters ASAP before 4th quarter rolls around. Any advice would be appreciated, one of my goals is to be global and learn as many workcenters as I can and be well rounded as a TL.

You may have to work dayside for that goal.

That’s what I figured, which is fine because I originally was dayside and my mental health took a bad turn for the worse when I was doing overnight in the last 7 months. My anxiety got worse working these shifts.

Let’s switch places. Lol. I’m trying to switch to overnight to work on freight for an E2E department so that I can get a 2nd job in the morning (and babysit in the afternoon). I take every chance I can get to work overnight. It’s quiet. I want that peacefulness. Nevermind the differential. But yeah, you won’t get any notice or recognition in ON. And if you want to be developed, going dayside is the way.

Let’s switch places. Lol. I’m trying to switch to overnight to work on freight for an E2E department so that I can get a 2nd job in the morning (and babysit in the afternoon). I take every chance I can get to work overnight. It’s quiet. I want that peacefulness. Nevermind the differential. But yeah, you won’t get any notice or recognition in ON. And if you want to be developed, going dayside is the way.

Does your store have an overnight process still? Only super high volume stores still have it because 4am process would just not work. Overnight is great for the pay and if you don’t like people but yeah - after several months I can concur that it is no good for development.

ASANTS overnight is where many of the TL I know got their start, but they also had to express an interest in moving up and be good at what they do.

There are generally 3 types of overnight people, those that are looking to move to something better/different, those that want to be that cog because of kids or another job, and those that don't last more than 90 days.

ASANTS overnight is where many of the TL I know got their start, but they also had to express an interest in moving up and be good at what they do.

There are generally 3 types of overnight people, those that are looking to move to something better/different, those that want to be that cog because of kids or another job, and those that don't last more than 90 days.

The thing is, we are not part of their crew.

We are a separate overnight team with no actual TL watching us other than said TL coming overnight once a month. ETLs that are overnight have said themselves they don’t keep an eye on us. We are understaffed and we barely make through just our core responsibilities and I’m not allowed to touch anything that isn’t my E2E department so taking on projects outside the department to develop is nonexistent. So that’s why I’m thinking it’s best to jump ship to another workcenter, take the differential loss and work with my mentor (who is only dayside) more.

If you don't have anyone to teach or mentor you then yes you should change workcenter if you want to move up at Spot, either that or take your knowledge elsewhere.

I work for a AAA (or AAA+, but definitely AAA and above). We still have an ON process. The flow team set aside an hour to work only on uboats for Market. Everything else is worked on by the morning team. I am ok with guests, but it’s just more peaceful at night. I would love to transfer to your store

Last edited:
Yeah there's no way you're going to get developed in that role. At the very least you need to be working closer with the O/N ETLs so that you can get some recognition. I've heard those ETLs tend to play favorites though so I don't how feasible it would be to get an O/N TL role. As others have stated your best (and quickest) way to develop is to go back dayside. Work in a modernization center (e.g. Beauty, Electronics).

Based on what corporate's interested in right now, Electronics would be the easiest way to gain recognition, as in it has the most visible metrics storewide. The role and its duties are not easy. You have to really know your stuff and know how to close a sale. However, if you can pick up on that and get high numbers in certain metrics like Square Trade, your DTL will notice.

In Beauty they're more focused on guest service and becoming more like a Sephora where you have dedicated TMs there who really know the products and can make recommendations to the guests. The metrics here aren't as transparent. Here they're looking for higher sales comps and lower shortage. In Electronics, the metrics are ties to each TM so that leadership can easily see who's performing. In Beauty the metrics are just tied to the department, so you'll have to be proactive at getting recognition. The best way would be to really push the surveys and develop a relationship with your GE. Ask them to forward/print out all positive surveys that mention you so that you can show your ETL. They should be doing this already but I know many GEs that just respond to the surveys wen needed and leave it at that. If you can land even 1 survey each shift, that would put you leagues ahead of most other TMs.

The easiest leadership (more like semi-leadership) to land is GSA. The role itself isn't great but if done correctly, it's the most visible leadership position in the store (along with GSTL). How well the front is handled affects the LOD duties. So if you can handle the front end well enough that LOD can focus on the rest of the store, they're going to start wanting you for their team. At my store the GSA position is like a test run. Many of my GSAs end up getting transferred to other teams either directly into a TL position or just as a TM but with intentions by ETLs to quickly develop into a TL.

Kind of a long response but feel free to message me if you have any more questions.

Thank you so much for your response, @Thunderbird1956 :) I need to start asking around then if they’re looking for anyone in AP, Flex or something similar.

I personally would not suggest moving to flex to develop. I know ASANTS, but here it’s more of a long term job with little potential to move up. Especially with the lack of guest interaction associated with it.

What about TPS?

massively jelly of stores that still have overnight positions. It's not the greatest for those with sleep disorders (like me) but I'll take a screwy sleep schedule and empty store over trying to push Christmas lights when the light wall has 145,958,193,556,491 guests crowded in front of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back