Archived After 16 years....

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 16 years with spot I have finally put in my two weeks.

I was an electronics employee most of my 20s eventually moving to electronics TL and senior team lead. Eventually my life moved on and I had to transfer stores but the only way my store would support it is if I stepped down. It sucked and was a really hard time for me but looking back it only made me grow as a leader.

Cut to me moving to the new store where I was quickly promoted back to electronics TL. As soon as I came to this store I quickly noticed the STL was not present. Didn't care. Would not talk to you unless he needed something. But the STL decided to give me price change as well. Which was a team not in great shape and needed constant attention. After it not working out for a minute I switched to Starbucks as we were getting a remodel to include Starbucks and I had a part time at a coffee shop which I was loving. My STL convinced me to take Starbucks and that I would be great for it. Shortly after my training started I was informed Starbucks would be aligned under Food but nothing was ever said to me about me owning food.

Cut to me 2 months later where my STL is having the conversation about me owning food areas in addition to Starbucks but wasn't clear on what I would own and what I wouldn't. In addition he was having the conversation with me on the sales floor while I was the only barista covering Starbucks.

2 months later where I am being scheduled 34 hours in grocery and 6 hours in Starbucks. My baristas are always being left to fend on their own as "I am Food that day". I am now on track to own all food even though I have told my STL several times I did not want to own food. I was told "It's time to cut he cord between you and Starbucks"

So I'm not happy, I wanted a coffee shop and that's not what I got. I felt like I asked for a coffee shop and I got a grocery store. I felt like I expressed my concerns to my stl and he didn't care. So I reach out to that coffee shop I use to work at and invterviewed with their district manager. And when that went well I interviewed with a regional manager and was offered a great position with a raise.

Being that I was partial to Starbucks I sent an email to my Starbucks DM explaining my feelings and that I got an offer with a competing company for General Manager. I asked if their was anything Starbucks could do for me as I wasn't opposed to learning with Starbucks but just wanted to focus on coffee.

My Starbucks DM never responded to me it instead went directly to my STL. Before I could put my two weeks in I was being pulled into the office with my HR, STL and ETL-Food asking what was going on. I explain my situation and my feelings and that I was offered a position which I was taking. My STL immediately goes into attack mode, blaming me saying I didn't communicate my feelings or frustrations to my leaders well enough. I told him several times that I brought up my feelings and he never responded. He didn't have a response to that but kept saying he hopes I was learning a life lesson from this. I left and pulled my ETL HR aside right away and told her I felt attacked by the STL. She agreed and he did apologize but I feel terrible.

After 16 years this is how I'm going out. This stl had a tantrum and made me feel like an idiot for going outside of target to find something to make me happy. He kept saying I never communicated my feelings, but I did. Several times. I expressed to my ETL food and HR that I never was not comfortable talking to them, I just couldn't see what target could do for me as I wanted to focus on coffee and only coffee. This was the way target wanted my position to roll and I couldn't expect them to change the rule just for me.

So now I don't know where to go from here. I have 10 shifts in counting and will fulfill them. I just didn't think I would get such an aggressive reaction from my STl. Anyone have any advice to get through the next ten days?!!!

Last edited:
Finish the 10 days and leave. Sounds like you are setting yourself up for something better focus on that,

Ignore the STL if you are unhappy stick by leaving sometimes people get cold feet when pressured don't let it get to you.

Finish out your work at your store and get everything squared away with your team members. Your STL can't do anything to you at this point. Keep doing your job and leave on good terms.

Sounds like you've made the right decision.

Yeah it's tough that at higher volumes you have food service team leads with cafe and Starbucks or only Starbucks.

And at low volume stores some get consumables, Starbucks AND cafe

Congratulations.
It sounds like you made the right decision.
Move on with your life and don't worry about it.

The ten days will go by fast and the sad stl might not even come near you over the next two weeks,like most of us your time at Target has had amazing highs and disappointing lows and for you it is time to move on,congratulations and the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back