Archived Age-Restricted ID check - alcohol, cold medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a guest wants to buy age-restricted items, does your store require that you have the guest's ID in your hand, then either scan or hand-key the birthdate? Does your store require that every age-restricted buying guest provide their ID regardless of how old they appear? My impression is that is official target policy but as usual, ASANTS. How are things done in your store?

When a guest wants to buy age-restricted items, does your store require that you have the guest's ID in your hand, then either scan or hand-key the birthdate? Does your store require that every age-restricted buying guest provide their ID regardless of how old they appear? My impression is that is official target policy but as usual, ASANTS. How are things done in your store?

our policy is to ask for ID from every guest, physically take that ID into your hands, then scan or key in the DOB. but does everyone do that every time? no lol

Has anyone noticed that you don't have to scan ID for alcohol purchases anymore? Just key in the birthdate. You still need to scan an ID for cold medicine/Nicorette which seems odd like one is a legal age thing, the other really isn't?

Has anyone noticed that you don't have to scan ID for alcohol purchases anymore? Just key in the birthdate. You still need to scan an ID for cold medicine/Nicorette which seems odd like one is a legal age thing, the other really isn't?
This might be ASANTS, but for some time, I've been able to hand-key for alcohol as well as cold medicine-nicorette and other age-restricted stuff. I ask first if it's okay to scan, I think this is the preferred method.

The cold medicine ID requirement is a Federal law, part of the Patriot Act, to stop people from buying it (especially in bulk) to make meth.

I've also been able to hand-key for all age-restricted items since I started at Spot. There was a short period of time where the system asked for a supervisor approval if the date was keyed instead of scanned, but that lasted only a few weeks.

Yes, I prefer to scan, and most guests have no problem with it. But there are some people who are paranoid about what data is being collected, and others who just can't seem to get the card out of their wallet. I'm not going to hold up the line to enforce those best practices when I can clearly read the date and see the embedded security holograms on the face.

We scan at my store. Its possible to just type it in, but I'd rather scan everyone across the board.
I still have no idea if passports can be scanned, so I type those in.

Target policy is we card ALL guests regardless of appearance. It’s just not worth trying to make a judgement call and getting it wrong (termable offense as well as illegal if you get it wrong).

My store we scan always unless ID barcode is too faded in which case we hand key.

Some ID forms don't scan, so as long as they feel legit and the picture matches the guest we can hand-key the birthdates. US and foreign passports, US and Canadian passport cards, Mexican ID cards, foreign diplomat ID cards issued by the US State Department. FYI many of these use international date format (dd/mm/yyyy) rather than US format (mm/dd/yyyy).

Target policy is we card ALL guests regardless of appearance. It’s just not worth trying to make a judgement call and getting it wrong (termable offense as well as illegal if you get it wrong). My store we scan always unless ID barcode is too faded in which case we hand key.
On rare occasions over the years, I've overheard poorly-trained new TMs just asking the guest for their birthday. On rare occasions, guests have told me they've never been asked for their ID at my Target before. Whenever that's happened, ASAP I informed the STL or LOD. The STL has always thanked me, we can't make mistakes on this one, and everyone retrained on the correct procedure.

edit: I'm wrong (post kept in spoiler for historical record)

Some ID forms don't scan, so as long as they feel legit and the picture matches the guest we can hand-key the birthdates. US and foreign passports, US and Canadian passport cards, Mexican ID cards, foreign diplomat ID cards issued by the US State Department. FYI many of these use international date format (dd/mm/yyyy) rather than US format (mm/dd/yyyy).
Technically we should not accept foreign ID. all IDs must be issued by US or US State Govs. From our policy valid forms of ID (same list as for OPU)include:

• Government-issued photo ID
  • State-issued driver's license
  • State-issued ID card
  • U.S. passport
  • Military ID
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Permanent Resident
  • Green Card
  • Native American Travel Photo ID
The only passport acceptable is US.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm trying to say is the screen is different for cold medicine ID and alcohol age verification. They used to be the same screen with the same request to scan ID. Now it's different. Maybe its just my store or my region idk.

@AC, interesting. Someone should ask if corporate defines "government-issued" as US-only. Our Target is on the West Coast near many big international companies - i.e. some of the world's largest companies are nearby. We have MANY overseas visitors coming here throughout the week, many on business trips, some on family visits, others who are tourists and a few who just landed (legally) in the US to start a job. Our store accepts many foreign passports and some of the Mexican cards. Our store definitely accepts Canadian provincial ID and drivers' licenses, most of them scan just fine. If your Target isn't in an area with international business travelers or tourists, this may not have come up.

Technically we should not accept foreign ID. all IDs must be issued by US or US State Govs. From our policy valid forms of ID (same list as for OPU)include:

• Government-issued photo ID
  • State-issued driver's license
  • State-issued ID card
  • U.S. passport
  • Military ID
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Permanent Resident
  • Green Card
  • Native American Travel Photo ID
The only passport acceptable is US.
Actually, the acceptable IDs are, at least as of when the training documents were written:
US or Canadian driver's license
US or Canadian non-driver ID card
US or Canadian military ID
Passport, regardless of issuing country.

A passport is the only ID that a guest visiting from a country other than Canada may use. Every now and again, someone comes into the store to test our knowledge of the rules by showing us a set of pictures of various IDs, and requiring us to state whether each one is acceptable for age restricted sales or not.

I've noticed this, but only at SCO. On the regular registers, I can still scan ID in all cases. On the SCO, I can scan the ID for all age-restricted items except alcohol. For that, it won't take the scan, and I have to manually key the birthdate from the ID.

I've noticed this, but only at SCO. On the regular registers, I can still scan ID in all cases. On the SCO, I can scan the ID for all age-restricted items except alcohol. For that, it won't take the scan, and I have to manually key the birthdate from the ID.
That’s because technically alcohol can’t be done at SCO ;)

I wish we could scan IDs. I hate keying in their birthday because the sco screens are touchy and I miss a digit all the time. Guests always look at me like I’m crazy when I ask for ID when they buy those “pop its” fireworks. 😄
I get that a lot too. I just say, "Fireworks are fireworks. I can't sell them without an ID." What I marvel at are the number of patently underage kids who try to buy them, and the parents who come in afterwards wondering why they had to get out of the car to get their kids sparklers. This isn't nuclear physics here.

I've had a couple kids grumble about needing ID for sparklers. But what gets me is needing ID for confetti poppers. I realize they're coded as fireworks in the system, but seriously. Someone use some actual brain cells here?

I've had a couple kids grumble about needing ID for sparklers. But what gets me is needing ID for confetti poppers. I realize they're coded as fireworks in the system, but seriously. Someone use some actual brain cells here?
It's even better worse than that. The entire brand is coded as fireworks. Including the packs of party hats they also make.

My store requires I.D. in hand for every item that comes up as restricted. I don't even ask ages or birthdates, I just automatically say, "I'll need to see an I.D." It helps that my store has the scanning system, so no has gotten angry yet. They can see that I have to scan their I.D. to continue. I've not yet had to key in a birthdate, but if I ever do it's going to be the same. I understand why people get offended, but I worked in a bar and in a convenience store that sold alcohol. I'm paranoid and trained well. I'm not putting my job (and my legal freedom) on the line to appease misplaced shame about aging.

Okay but why does it ask for birthday with non-alcoholic alcohol?? I had a very pregnant woman come through with it and she was happy to give me her ID but we both laughed about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back