Archived Alcohol on breath more than once

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to write an anonymous tattletale on a TM who's coming in drunk but the hard part is that she's always bragging how a supervisor is buying her booze. She's seriuosly underaged.

WTF? I mean, I'm pissed. The "supervisor" is being reckless and it pisses me off.

And then I have the occasional TM ask me "Do I smell like weed?"
Like, "nono, of course not, please go hug the ETL" (because you reek).

The fuck is goin on at my store?

We had a gstl buy a minor alcohol. Both were termed. AP has to catch it all on camera including the hand off though.

As far as weed it's not that simple. Two supervisors with no prior knowledge the tm may be high have to detect the scent before the HR can send the tm for a drug test.

Record the bragging and send the file to the local police?

Yea, they'll be all over that toot sweet.

o_O I had a similar situation at my store and to this today the TM, who I caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing still has a job. I told every leader I could and nothing was done because "they had no proof" or "Target can't do anything"

If a TM is coming into work clearly intoxicated then your leadership knows it and is likely investigating. At my store leadership had suspicions that a TM or 2 were getting shots at the liquor store next door and were looking into it.

If the TM is bragging about a higher up buying alcohol then let the HR or AP know if it'll make you feel better

o_O I had a similar situation at my store and to this today the TM, who I caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing still has a job. I told every leader I could and nothing was done because "they had no proof" or "Target can't do anything"

See HRZone's post above about that..

We have had people come in drunk and act like fools - gone.. But if they stay chill and actually do their job it has been let to slide..

And trust me leadership would love to bust these people but targets standard for a reasonable suspicion is really high.

My store is run by monkeys. One of the ETL's is incompetent. Sweet but ineffective.

My blabbing about intoxicated TM's is useless because there are so many favorites. I guess I'm not the only one to hear the bullshit so I'll just wait and see what happens.

I can't say I've never had a drink or two under the age of 21, but coming to work with the stuff in your system is a huge no no. Keep your professional life and party life far, far away from one another.

Hopefully this situation improves soon, I honestly have no advice as I've never had a similar situation at work.

So just recently Ive realized something, and this might be ASANT . The leadership does not care about certain pressing issues, that would conjure immediate response in other organizations.
The moral of this realization is , stay under the radar, do what could be perceived as work , and you can milk the target cow for AS LONG AS YOU WANT.
No accountability here folks, move along.

I'm playing devil's advocate. Target is not the first job I've ever had. But it is a leading contender for the most ethical practices in the jobs I've held. I'm not being told to break, bend or ignore laws on a regular basis, nor am I being told to ignore others breaking laws. I've worked in quite a variety of fields, from construction to real estate to food handling, and it seems that most places have shady practices and a lot of those shady practices could result in fines or criminal charges.

No place is perfect. But at least I'm not being told to ignore forged signatures/forged identifying documents or serious OSHA violations involving a lack of safety harnesses or being told to wipe food off plates with a towel before putting it on a stack of "clean" plates or play money hiding games from the IRS.

I'm playing devil's advocate. Target is not the first job I've ever had. But it is a leading contender for the most ethical practices in the jobs I've held. I'm not being told to break, bend or ignore laws on a regular basis, nor am I being told to ignore others breaking laws. I've worked in quite a variety of fields, from construction to real estate to food handling, and it seems that most places have shady practices and a lot of those shady practices could result in fines or criminal charges.

No place is perfect. But at least I'm not being told to ignore forged signatures/forged identifying documents or serious OSHA violations involving a lack of safety harnesses or being told to wipe food off plates with a towel before putting it on a stack of "clean" plates or play money hiding games from the IRS.
What are you talking about? All this shi* happens , but no one talks about it at spot because no one knows, leadership is clueless at best.

What are you talking about? All this shi* happens , but no one talks about it at spot because no one knows, leadership is clueless at best.

It likely happens, people are fallible and can even be corrupt. But it's not institutionalized like it is in a lot of other businesses. It's not wink, wink, nod, nod like at a lot of places. I'm not being told that a condition of continued employment is the notarizing of documents where I'm not sure the person is who they say they are. I'm not having a boss say openly that long haul truck drivers need to violate DOT regulations and that I'm to process the log books and receipts in a manner that hides lack of sleep. I'm not having to delete photographs I took for coding a web page because someone is three stories up without any sort of restraint system in violation of OSHA regulations. I'm no longer dead center in sending out the papers for sub-prime loans. I'm no longer providing legally binding documents missing a single signature to closing officers and then coming back later to get the signed document despite knowing the signer did not come back. I'm no longer floating loans between two companies on paper so that taxes are reduced based on the amount of the loan. This is all stuff that was so institutionalized in the businesses that everyone knew and everyone played a part, even if it was to look the other way and pretend it wasn't happening. Target, at least where I'm at, doesn't have this built-in, everyone from the bottom up knows or directly participates kind of sneakiness.

I'm going to have to write an anonymous tattletale on a TM who's coming in drunk but the hard part is that she's always bragging how a supervisor is buying her booze. She's seriuosly underaged.

WTF? I mean, I'm pissed. The "supervisor" is being reckless and it pisses me off.

And then I have the occasional TM ask me "Do I smell like weed?"
Like, "nono, of course not, please go hug the ETL" (because you reek).

The fuck is goin on at my store?
If you've said something to store leadership and they're not doing anything, that would be a good time to call the integrity hotline. Especially if you include the bit about the supervisor purchasing a minor alcohol. That screams all sorts of problems that Headquarters would want to drop as soon as possible.
Do keep in mind, however, that your stores AP and HR may already be investigating it and looking for more concrete evidence, and unable to relay that info to you.
Record the bragging and send the file to the local police?
The local PD may very well be too busy to be interested in that sort of thing, but if you can find a tip line for your state's alcoholic beverage control agency (California ABC - Homepage - https://www.abc.ca.gov in California), they may be more interested, especially if the OP can provide the name of the supervisor buying the alcohol.
That's not a target issue.

Even if they fired the tm for being drunk, she could still do that while leaving
It very much is a Target issue. If they allow someone that they reasonably suspect is under the influence to continue working, or don't try to stop them from driving away after work, Target opens itself up to full liability if someone gets injured by the Team member.
If they fire the Team member for being drunk, and they then get in a car and hit someone, Target can claim that they were trying to mitigate the danger and be protected from some of the lawsuits.

Real talk, if they get their job done in a safe manner I have no problem with them coming in a bit high or buzzed. I appreciate a hard worker regardless but the main issue is 99% of people who come in high or buzzed are either lazy, incompetent or completely dangerous to work with. Hence why I understand not allowing it at all. I love my TMs but if one came in drunk or high and hopped on the wave or something, I'd have to assertively say nope to their actions. I've seen completely fine teammates make mistakes on the wave or with other equipment and nearly hurt themselves or others. I don't trust that shit with anyone. Boxcutters as well. Easy to cut yourself when you have a lack of awareness due to chemicals in you. Etc etc. I do suspect a TL of being a pot head though. He comes in often with funny eyes and a relaxed demeanor. Lol Suspicious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back