Archived All new ETLs are getting $60K to start now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else heard this?

Today at work our clerical TM told me she overheard our ETL-HR talking. Apparently she said that because ETL turnover has gotten so high in the company, they are now going to offer $60,000 annual salary to all new external ETLs.

If this is true, it is unbelievable. TMs continue to get nothing. No hours nor pay. And new ETLs are now only $40K away from making $100,000 a year walking in the door???

Today at work our clerical TM told me she overheard our ETL-HR talking. Apparently she said that because ETL turnover has gotten so high in the company, they are now going to offer $60,000 annual salary to all new external ETLs.

If this is true, it is unbelievable. TMs continue to get nothing. No hours nor pay. And new ETLs are now only $40K away from making $100,000 a year walking in the door???

I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. All internals or any ETL that has not been promoted to a higher PG would walk. It would compound the problem, not fix it.

I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. All internals or any ETL that has not been promoted to a higher PG would walk. It would compound the problem, not fix it.

If this is true this would be a perfect example of why spot has a policy of no talking about pay.

I can't believe this though. I meant could be true for that store/that area but it can not be true for every spot. Different regions have different costs of living. I am sure the start pay for TMs is not the same in every spot nationwide.

Pay does differ substantially. I was easily making 4 dollars more an hour back in Montana.

This is the perfect example of the old Telephone game. Someone hears that new ETLs in a certain area are starting at $$$. That person tells the next person that all new ETLS are starting at $$$. This person tells the next one that all new ETLs are starting at $$$ and add a little to make the story better. Just like any company it will depend on your local, your experience, your position etc etc etc. Geez I hate this kind of blanket statement junk.

Pay does differ substantially. I was easily making 4 dollars more an hour back in Montana.

Yes, but you had to live in Montana. Isn't there some store in North Dakota that flys employees in from some other state to work weekends? I think it was in Minot.

No. It's still based on the cost of living in the area. My source you ask? a few of my college buds are etls in different states (PA, MD, NM, FL)

I assure you this is not accurate. Even in areas that have a higher cost of living, a brand new ETL would likely in the low to mid 50s. In 90% of the markets a new ETL would be in the mid 40s. The only time we would offer 60k would be with experience.

Yes, but you had to live in Montana. Isn't there some store in North Dakota that flys employees in from some other state to work weekends? I think it was in Minot.

Yes that too, but Montana was an interesting market. It's not always cost of living, but competition for hiring. Bozeman was a college town filled with a bunch of irritating upper middle class kids with almost no work ethic. Hate the job? Quit. My store had so much problems retaining employees that they started raising wages as a measure of minimizing turnover. Starting base wage was 10 dollars and a dollar for every major step up in PG. As flow I was easily making 13 dollars and 14 by the time I went to Oregon.

Now, some context:

Rent for my own master bedroom with personal bathroom in a two bedroom townhouse in Bozeman: 350 dollars a month, utilities made up about 100 for everything at max. I worked 40 hours a week at Bozeman at 14 dollars an hour. Food was cheap.

Rent for my own room in a 4 bedroom house in a bad neighborhood in Portland: 400, utilities fluctuated between 100 - 200 depending on if it was the quarter for water bill. I worked on average 25 hours a week at 9 dollars an hour. Food was maybe reasonably priced at times.

the wage is based on what Target CAN GET AWAY WITH and still retain employees.

I assure you this is not accurate. Even in areas that have a higher cost of living, a brand new ETL would likely in the low to mid 50s. In 90% of the markets a new ETL would be in the mid 40s. The only time we would offer 60k would be with experience.

Ok, but what kind of "experience" qualifies for 60K? Working at Burger King 3 months while in college?

Just recently got my offer and i can assure you the 60,000 starting ETL pay is not accurate

Yes, but you guys are internal. The HR TM specifically said she heard this was for external hires.

Experience can mean a lot of things, but typically part of this is the salary the made at their previous job. I have one ETL that was an officer in the military and was offered a higher starting salary. For the most part, experience equals having led teams and processes at a store manager or assistant store manager level.

As a side note, don't let some poor experiences with ETLs discount the fact that many do a great job everyday and are well worth the salary that they make. I have plenty of TLs that actually make more money annually then my newer ETLs, but the overall affect of those TLs is much lower on the store than the ETL. Might not be a popular opinion, but it is an opinion based on a lot of experience at several levels at Target.

If this is true this would be a perfect example of why spot has a policy of no talking about pay.

Where'd you hear this? spot can't make a policy banning pay discussions. That's a violation of the National Labor Relations Act. It's my understanding that they may be able to limit it, but not outright ban it.

Just recently got my offer and i can assure you the 60,000 starting ETL pay is not accurate

I'll add to this. The rumor mill for my area , is that some ETLS are starting at low as 38 but most are in the 45 range starting.

You will make less as someone promoted within than someone hired outside the company, even though you most likely will do a better job. Just another way Target screws its employees.

This is not true. In that last 2 years I have personally promoted two hourly tms (1 TL and 1 tm) to ETL jobs and they both make significantly more money they campus hired ETLs at my store. It alls depends on what you argue for, and if you are convincing. It is actually easier to get more money as an internal then a campus-hire. An external with experience is where you typically get the highest starting compensation.

As far a doing a better job, you might catch on more quickly, but everyone starts somewhere. It is really not fair to assume an external hire will be perfect from day one. We all started our jobs as the new guy...give people a chance. Don't forget many of these people are young and learning a new job with a new team. It doesn't mean they aren't good people and won't become great bosses.

Last edited:
This is not true. In that last 2 years I have personally promoted two hourly tms (1 TL and 1 tm) to ETL jobs and they both make significantly more money they campus hired ETLs at my store. It alls depends on what you argue for, and if you are convincing. It is actually easier to get more money as an internal then a campus-hire. An external with experience is where you typically get the highest starting compensation.

As far a doing a better job, you might catch on more quickly, but everyone starts somewhere. It is really not fair to assume an external hire will be perfect from day one. We all started our jobs as the new guy...give people a chance. Don't forget many of these people are young and learning a new job with a new team. It doesn't mean they aren't good people and won't become great bosses.

I'm willing to give you that, up to a point.
Sure there are plenty of mature intelligent young men and women graduating from college every day (my daughter being one of them -- daddy pride, sorry) and we've got a number of them who have worked at our store.
I was young too and managed businesses with a modcom of success.
But can you say that the culture that has developed over the past years creating entire teams of ETLs under 30; with being an ETL and college as their only experience, many of them still living at home and who have almost no understanding of needs of the people they are supposed to be managing, can that be healthy for the company in the long run?
Even worse can a STL who comes out of that milieu be a positive force?

I hope I haven't insulted anyone here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back