Archived Am I allowed to have my own baler key that I bought online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also anyone can sign out equipment keys at TSC, but I don't wanna bug someone each day to grab the key

Everyone that needs one has one at my store. Sounds like it would be a pain to have to sign it out all the time.

At my store, all the backroom guys and most of the flow team carry them.

most of the flow team carry them.
BUT! Do any one of them know how to make a bale? IMO...Anyone who carries the baler keys technically should be certified to use the baler and know how to make a bale. I realize ASANTS but think about it. Yes, I have keys, was certfied to throw cardboard into the baler, shown how to insert the key, close the door to run the baler but...when it's full?! Do you know how to make a bale? Or you rely and call on the Backroom TL or one of the backroom tm's? There is one flow tm who insisted (bugged the f**k out of the PMT so he gave in) on having a set of keys (wave and baler) but is afraid to make a bale. There are other tm's certified, know how to make a bale but don't get the privilege to have their own set. Go figure.

My store does it all wrong, but it's much more convenient. The baler stays unlocked. You fill it, you squish it. If a bale needs to be made, then and only then do you call someone over for assistance. I realize that's not techincally acceptable. But, for fuck's sake. I'm not a moron. I can throw cardboard in, close a gate, and push a button without hurting myself. It took all of two seconds of one person showing me how to do it on my first day for me to learn that.

Last edited:
It should just be on all the time. In nearly 5 years I haven't seen even the newest TM climb up inside.
drinkbeer.gif

My store does it all wrong, but it's much more convenient. The baler stays unlocked. You fill it, you squish it. If a bale needs to be made, then and only then do you call someone over for assistance. I realize that's not techincally possible. But, for fuck's sake. I'm not a moron. I can throw cardboard in, close a gate, and push a button without hurting myself. It took all of two seconds of one person showing me how to do it on my first day for me to learn that.

My store also leaves the baler on at all times so anyone can use it and theres a few guys on flow that can make bales so when its full they call the flow TL and the flow TL calls one there tm to make the bale.
As far as training the ones that do it now
1 learned from a older tm and the other just winged it one day and thats how he learned.

I don't make bales, but I grab the crown and haul that bale outside all the time for the guy who does, its not a small haul to where they get parked.

Wait. You have to be certified to throw corrugate into the baler?? My store leaves it open as well.

I don't make bales, but I grab the crown and haul that bale outside all the time for the guy who does, its not a small haul to where they get parked.
I've was never comfortable making bales. But I'm the one throwing away cardboard that others leAve behind cause they don't ask for the key or the previous person filled it up without asking for the key. I'm the one constantly emptying the trash cans. Picking up the overflow cause no one says the cans are full. I'm the who (after a team member makes the bale ) tries to get bale to the storage area. If I was comfortable making the bale I would doing it all time because everyone would just think "just leave Vendordontmesswithme will take care of it"

No. Just 18 I believe.
I think you need to be certified to operate and make bales.

(Not that I was ever certified. If I didn't empty our two, my receiving area was filled with fucking cardboard)
Certified to use it, not to put the cardboard in. To crush it and use keys you need to be signed off with your powered equipment certification for the baler

BUT! Do any one of them know how to make a bale? IMO...Anyone who carries the baler keys technically should be certified to use the baler and know how to make a bale. I realize ASANTS but think about it. Yes, I have keys, was certfied to throw cardboard into the baler, shown how to insert the key, close the door to run the baler but...when it's full?! Do you know how to make a bale? Or you rely and call on the Backroom TL or one of the backroom tm's? There is one flow tm who insisted (bugged the f**k out of the PMT so he gave in) on having a set of keys (wave and baler) but is afraid to make a bale. There are other tm's certified, know how to make a bale but don't get the privilege to have their own set. Go figure.

In answer to your question everyone one of the "guys" that work on the flow team carry the baler key and we all know how to make bales. We do it at least 2 times a day on truck day and maybe once or twice on the non truck days. The ladies on the flow team in my store don't make bales, so they don't carry keys.

My store does it all wrong, but it's much more convenient. The baler stays unlocked. You fill it, you squish it. If a bale needs to be made, then and only then do you call someone over for assistance. I realize that's not techincally acceptable. But, for fuck's sake. I'm not a moron. I can throw cardboard in, close a gate, and push a button without hurting myself. It took all of two seconds of one person showing me how to do it on my first day for me to learn that.
That's how it is in ours, too. Luckily I'd been taught how to use the baler at the store I used to work at, I just need help occasionally if I need to compact the cardboard and I'm not already working with someone taller than me.

I've was never comfortable making bales. But I'm the one throwing away cardboard that others leAve behind cause they don't ask for the key or the previous person filled it up without asking for the key. I'm the one constantly emptying the trash cans. Picking up the overflow cause no one says the cans are full. I'm the who (after a team member makes the bale ) tries to get bale to the storage area. If I was comfortable making the bale I would doing it all time because everyone would just think "just leave Vendordontmesswithme will take care of it"

Understood, the backroom guys know I clean up like you do toss cardboard, wrangle repacks, jebus wrangle repacks, haul out the bale so they can get back to what they need to do, and when I go up front ask if they have anything going that way and I will take it if they do. Give and take and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back