Archived Angry "Extreme" couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I haven't looked in a while, but good to know :)
The only thing that I really miss about being at the front end is that I can see what the deals are. Too much drama up there. It's like AP all day if you know what's going on. Um yeah, I believe that a 22 year old guy is buying a $4000 gift card with a legitimate credit card. Wait, do I smell weed? Did you just smoke a bowl in the car right before you came in here? Don't you come in every weekend trying to buy huge giftcards? Why is the logo from your bank on the card crooked? Nothing suspicious going on here, nope. :rolleyes:

The only thing that I really miss about being at the front end is that I can see what the deals are. Too much drama up there. It's like AP all day if you know what's going on. Um yeah, I believe that a 22 year old guy is buying a $4000 gift card with a legitimate credit card. Wait, do I smell weed? Did you just smoke a bowl in the car right before you came in here? Don't you come in every weekend trying to buy huge giftcards? Why is the logo from your bank on the card crooked? Nothing suspicious going on here, nope. :rolleyes:
Right up there with the kitchen scales and vacuum sealing systems they are buying for the weed.

Any suggestions for those guests who use the coupons only to return the items right after or the next day to pocket the profits. It is coupon fraud yet the ETL's let it happen.

All the guest service TMs at my store have been trained to not let anyone return anything like this. It states in the coupon policy that items purchased with coupons without the intent of use or gifting may be denied the return. We deny the return.

All the guest service TMs at my store have been trained to not let anyone return anything like this. It states in the coupon policy that items purchased with coupons without the intent of use or gifting may be denied the return. We deny the return.

Yeah, I know the policy. I explain it to the GSTL's all day long. They still override me and take everything back all the time.
Not sure why one case of $4 water under the cart is a big deal when we take back $200 worth of HBA with no receipt from gross people?

at my store if we see on your receipt you used coupons, we adjust down your return. the look on the faces of the guests when they realize what we're doing is great

I’ve noticed that all the people that try to extreme coupon are Spanish-speaking-only moms. And it’s always like 6 bottles of detergent that they’ll get gift cards for, and then they try to use like 6 coupons even though it says on the coupon “limit two per transaction”. And I’ll try to tell them this in my crap Spanish and they either can’t or just act like they don’t understand and it’s a huge headache lol. Oh and also they always pay with gift cards

I’ve noticed that all the people that try to extreme coupon are Spanish-speaking-only moms. And it’s always like 6 bottles of detergent that they’ll get gift cards for, and then they try to use like 6 coupons even though it says on the coupon “limit two per transaction”. And I’ll try to tell them this in my crap Spanish and they either can’t or just act like they don’t understand and it’s a huge headache lol. Oh and also they always pay with gift cards

Ditto. You should see my face when I respond to Fast Service and a lady with a cart full of detergent and cleaning products is waiting to be checked out. Oh hell no.

*scan coupon get error message*
“Sorry. Can’t accept this one.”
times a million

“No. You get your gift card(s) AFTER the transaction.”
“No. You can’t do multiple transactions.”

Any suggestions for those guests who use the coupons only to return the items right after or the next day to pocket the profits. It is coupon fraud yet the ETL's let it happen.

If it's the same day, I do a post void/wrong payment, walk to the register that they were rung up on and have the cashier pull out the coupons. If it's the next day or later, I will reduce the value of the returned items for the coupon. (Just K1 change amount)

We have a guest who constantly brings in $5-10 off antihistamine coupons and wants to use them on smaller packages. We constantly tell her “Sorry, that is for a X-ct or larger package,” but she will argue about it. And she ALWAYS asks for a “store manager” when we deny her. The “store manager” can’t do crap because we aren’t Target anymore!

So I coupon a little bit so I know more about the policy from that than the cashier training (which really needs some improvement if you ask me) but I wanted to check if something has changed. Aren't giftcards supposed to be used on a separate trip not in multiple transactions? A guest tried to argue with me...the store was nuts and so I said I'd accept them but in the future this wouldn't be allowed. It was probably the wrong thing to do but she had been difficult and I needed to get on to the next guest.

ASANTS. at my store guests are allowed to split up transactions, however the cards can’t be used on the same transaction.

To be honest, if I wanted to do that, I could argue it. I would just say I am allowed to split up my purchases and pay for it however I want for example paying with different cards, it just so happened the first transaction I did I received a gift card. Maybe I didn’t know about the promotion. The only thing is that I have to use it on my next transaction. Well my next transaction is right there. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to use it?

To be honest, if I wanted to do that, I could argue it. I would just say I am allowed to split up my purchases and pay for it however I want for example paying with different cards, it just so happened the first transaction I did I received a gift card. Maybe I didn’t know about the promotion. The only thing is that I have to use it on my next transaction. Well my next transaction is right there. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to use it?
Also we all know the guest could just walk out and walk back in. However with different cards we can split payments. But I agree it should be allowed. Not worth arguing.

I don't have a problem personally (and my TLs haven't objected to the practice) of a guest splitting up their order so that they can earn the gift card on one transaction and then use it on the remainder of their items. As long as they are prepared for it when I get to them in my lane. I *do*, however, have a problem when they decide to do this after I've hit the total button, or if they try to do so in order to earn more gift cards.

I had a guest last night (posted in the TTOG thread) who bought over a hundred bucks in OTC medications. Advil, Tylenol, cold meds, etc. After I hit total, she finally started dragging out coupons from her purse, one at a time. Nearly another 3 minutes just to ring her coupons, and the guests are piling up behind her. When I gave her only one gift card with her receipt, she pitched a fit. By now, I had four more guests queued up, so I really didn't have time to deal with her. I pointed out that the coupon clearly says one per guest. She wanted to void her transaction and break it up. Nope, no way, no how. Even without the four guests behind her, I wouldn't have done it. As soon as she walked away from me, I was on the radio to my the service desk TM to warn him, because I had a feeling she was going to try and get him to "take care of it" for her. And then I called my GSA to let him know as well.

I don't have a problem personally (and my TLs haven't objected to the practice) of a guest splitting up their order so that they can earn the gift card on one transaction and then use it on the remainder of their items. As long as they are prepared for it when I get to them in my lane. I *do*, however, have a problem when they decide to do this after I've hit the total button, or if they try to do so in order to earn more gift cards.

I had a guest last night (posted in the TTOG thread) who bought over a hundred bucks in OTC medications. Advil, Tylenol, cold meds, etc. After I hit total, she finally started dragging out coupons from her purse, one at a time. Nearly another 3 minutes just to ring her coupons, and the guests are piling up behind her. When I gave her only one gift card with her receipt, she pitched a fit. By now, I had four more guests queued up, so I really didn't have time to deal with her. I pointed out that the coupon clearly says one per guest. She wanted to void her transaction and break it up. Nope, no way, no how. Even without the four guests behind her, I wouldn't have done it. As soon as she walked away from me, I was on the radio to my the service desk TM to warn him, because I had a feeling she was going to try and get him to "take care of it" for her. And then I called my GSA to let him know as well.

You did it exactly right.. I have no problem when they break up two or if not busy three transactions to get the gift cards, I am fine with.. But nope not going back to figure it out for you..

So I coupon a little bit so I know more about the policy from that than the cashier training (which really needs some improvement if you ask me) but I wanted to check if something has changed. Aren't giftcards supposed to be used on a separate trip not in multiple transactions? A guest tried to argue with me...the store was nuts and so I said I'd accept them but in the future this wouldn't be allowed. It was probably the wrong thing to do but she had been difficult and I needed to get on to the next guest.

Promotional GiftCards don't have to be used on a different trip, because there's really no way to enforce that. They only have to be used on a different transaction. Positive guest experience is (supposed) to be the top priority on the front end right now, and my GSTL has told me to solve as many problems as possible with $5 GiftCards. If you have any questions about what your store's expectations are, get with your GSTL or GSA because ASANTS.

What do you do when a guest earns a $5.00 gift card but it does not prompt? I always just make them the gift card but some people ask them if they want the $5 off right then and there and they do a target coupon instead.
I thought gift cards were a way to get people to come back so is we're giving them the money right then and there, why would they come back?

What do you do when a guest earns a $5.00 gift card but it does not prompt? I always just make them the gift card but some people ask them if they want the $5 off right then and there and they do a target coupon instead.
I thought gift cards were a way to get people to come back so is we're giving them the money right then and there, why would they come back?

Scan a GiftCard, add $5 to it, and then do a Target Coupon for $5. I wouldn't give them $5 off their purchase, for exactly the reason you mentioned. It should be a GiftCard, not a coupon!

Scan a GiftCard, add $5 to it, and then do a Target Coupon for $5. I wouldn't give them $5 off their purchase, for exactly the reason you mentioned. It should be a GiftCard, not a coupon!

I've only done it once as a coupon because I didn't have a scanner to activate the gift card. Asked if she would like $5 off instead. She was more than happy to take it like that.

I’ve only seen that happen once or twice. So especially with the paper products and detergent make sure it’s EXACTLY the size listed.

I’ve always just given them $5 off (I’ve lost the fight in me to argue about it - obviously you didn’t get the right things to get the gift card. But everyone is too dense to understand so I give up), but that’s a good idea to just make the gift card, I’ll start doing that from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back