Archived Answering Phones and Other Duties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

New member on the forum. I've been working for Target for about 4 months now, and I just had a few questions to ask!

1. How the heck do you answer guest phone calls? For example, sometimes (not all the time) the operator would let a TM know that there's a guest call on 2282/2281 (I forgot the exact numbers) for say a Hardlines TM working in Domestics. I sort of figured out how to answer phone calls through the electronic phone (you pick it up and dial the number) but what about for other departments? How do you answer a guest phone call when you're zoning Health & Beauty? Walking over to electronics seems unreasonable because they would need the phone. No one has ever taught me A) where the phones are and which ones to use and B) how to really use the phones and dial with them.

2. How do you ask for more change in a register?/How do you open it? I've walkied over to my GSTL about asking for change, and he asked if he inputted a request in (I didn't know how to and he didn't teach me). So how do you request change? And how do you open the register? For example, a guest purchased their items (transaction went through and everything) but then wanted a bag (I live in California so we charge 10 cents for bags). They gave me a quarter and I wasn't sure how to open the register to get them change so they said it was fine and to keep it.

3. What happens if on the register, say a total is $56. A guest gives me $56 (either a $50 bill plus other bills). I punch in the numbers and enter it (they get a receipt back and no change), but afterwards, they decide to use a $100 bill instead. What do I do then? Do I accept it and use my math skills (not too good at calculating in my head so quickly with pressure) and give them change, or say sorry I can't accept the $100 because the numbers are already in? Or is there a way to withdraw the last transaction and redo it?

4. Flexing, what is that and how do you do it? An Electronics Team Lead told me to flex items if there wasn't any room on a shelf, but it belong in that aisle. I wasn't sure how to as he didn't teach me. And when I asked, he said yeah I'll teach you when I get back from break (never saw him until 3 days later!)

5. How do you help guests sign-up for RedCards? Again, no one has taught me how to.

That's really it for my questions! Seems silly for some, but I was just curious. I worked at Target for a good 3 months before I got trained as a cashier, and even then there wasn't any formal training behind it. They placed me on a lane and that was that. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
To ask for change, I believe it's K2. It should be labeled as "Request change" when the POS is on idle, as in, you're not ringing a guest. The drop opens and it will ask you to press the K-Keys for the corresponding amounts you need. when you're done, close the drop and a slip will print. Keep it, it might ask you to turn on your "I need help" light. I don't remember the steps verbatim, but that's the general way to do it.

To just open it, I believe it's K8 (extras) and there should be an option to open the drawer.

When it comes to FLEXing. I was only made to do that in One Spot, and all I did was throw shit in bins of the same price. so I think I did FLEX wrong.

Sorry if there's some misinformation, it's been 4 months. >_<

Last edited:
To ask for change, I believe it's K2. It should be labeled as "Request change" when the POS is on idle, as in, you're not ringing a guest. The drop opens and it will ask you to press the K-Keys for the corresponding amounts you need. when you're done, close the drop and a slip will print. Keep it, it might ask you to turn on your "I need help" light. I don't remember the steps verbatim, but that's the general way to do it.

To just open it, I believe it's K8 (extras) and there should be an option to open the drawer.

When it comes to FLEXing. I was only made to do that in One Spot, and all I did was throw shit in bins of the same price. so I think I did FLEX wrong.

Sorry if there's some misinformation, it's been 4 months. >_<

Thank you. This definitely helps a lot so far! :)

I actually want to know the answers to the first question too! I've been told you pick up the phone and then dial the number followed by the # sign or vice versa but I'm not certain if that's even true.

I actually want to know the answers to the first question too! I've been told you pick up the phone and then dial the number followed by the # sign or vice versa but I'm not certain if that's even true.
In my store at least, It's #2283 for example, with the pound sign first.

1. You can pick up a call for domestics even if you're in Hba. It's just easier to go over to domestics in case you need to check the floor for a product. Just pick up the phone and dial #+the extension.

2. Press K2 and whatever bills or coin you need. The Gsa or GSTL should get an alert on their MyDevice, but remind them if they're not responding to it.

3. Use your head and if you don't feel confident, ask the GSA or GSTL to use the calculator function on the MyDevice.

4. Some stores flex when an aisle goes PTM (pre transition merchandise), basically when an aisle is going to be reset soon, so a lot of it has gone clearance or been discontinued. You can tell an aisle is PTM when it has a red label near the top with the other pog labels. To flex, put similar product in an empty location and make a shelf label. Ask your TL how to tie it there if it's an item not in that aisle using create sales plan. My store flexes a lot in aisles that aren't PTM as well, to keep the floor full. Discontinued out of stock locations are also a great place to flex.

5. To sign a guest up for a REDcard, scan the REDcard pamphlet at the end of the transaction and it will ask if they want debit or credit. They will need a blank check for debit. After that, it's mostly prompts on the pay pad for the guest. You just have to scan their ID I believe, but the rest is done by the guest. If they are approved they will get a temporary card from the receipt printer. If their application needs further review, they will get a letter or card in the mail in 7-10 days. Even if they get this response, it still counts as getting a REDcard for the store do font feel like it's bad!

Hope that helped!

1. You can use any of the guest red phones.

3. If you have already shut the drawer and handed off the receipt, tell the guest he can get change at the service desk, but you cannot open your register once the transaction is complete. If your drawer is still open, count back the change (ask an old person to show you how :)). If the guest is going back and forth about the money, shut the drawer and call the GSTL over. It could be a quick change artist trying to confuse you.

when someone said after the receipt printed "Oh I have change" what I do is close the register, scan the barcode at the top of the receipt and use K6 fix a mistake. I think it's something on the like "Wrong payment" then it should ask do you want a new way which you should click yes even though it's still cash. It's going to ask you to give the money back and open the register then close it and go through the total and type in the new numbers.
This may sound confusing but it's the way I do it as I don't want to screw up the cash office and such.

Also with red cards if you scan the barcode on the top of the booklette found in the register draws before you hit total it should prompt the guest on the card reader what they want like debit or credit. Then hit total and as while they are filling in their information you fill in their address and name on the POS. And after you do that and it says give the ID back to the guest it should show the information that you put in on the card reader. After that I say " just check over the information on the screen to make sure it's correct" kind of thing then after they click that it's correct that it should print off their temp card and should say approved or needs further review then you should be done.

With the phones you should be able to just pick up the red phones found at the end of some lanes or at each lane and just hit in the 2280 or 2281 and just start the welcome essay everyone says

I feel like I explained that horribly but it's the best I could do on a phone

Last edited:
an important detail i think people seem to forget when answering phone calls (maybe ASANTs?) but wait until about 8 words into the voice automated dialogue AND THEN dial #+extension. i know when i first started working there no one has taught me that and i was never able to answer phone calls.

flexing is just putting an item at the same price point. normally done when an aisle is goes PTM, but certain times (especially during a visit) they want to make the shelves look full and perfect so that's when you'd flex an item. some team members do it if they're also lazy to go put it on the back of the line for backstock.

For #3, I never accept the second bill once I have accepted their first bill and my drawer is open. I continue the transaction as normal. If they want to break their $100 bill they can go buy something else or go to a bank. That's the SOP of quick change artists.

Yeah, number 3 is an immediate call to AP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back