Anxiety @ work

my first day of training Everything was great everyone seemed pretty nice. I am training as a guest advocate but after enough customers they let me run the register by myself. Quickly I got hot, thirsty, and lightheaded. I have generalized anxiety even the smallest things a guest says can bring on my anxiety. I’m sweating and can’t think straight for the last 15 minutes while I’m on the clock and then my TL says great job you’re good to go. I go to punch out feeling nausea from all the anxiety and wondering if I have my team number with me to punch out. I finally find my number and punch out. Quickly I realize my nausea is going to turn into vomiting but there is no bathroom In the back and the closest one was all the way across guest service and I was sure I’d throw up in front of people. I struggled to unlock my locker to grab my phone and keys hoping I can get out of there quick enough. But I ended up Vomiting all over the floor I began to cry so embarrassed and frustrated. I hardly ate that day and quickly ran to the break room to get napkins and cleaned it all up there was vomit all over my uniform and hands so i quickly left and I threw up in my car for 20 minutes before I could even drive. I’m not sure what I should do I’ve worked in small stores before but nothing as large as target. I don’t know how to notify my co workers about what happened or who to talk to about how I feel.

If I had a job that freaked me out like that I'd find another job.

Keep at it and see if you get over it. If not - hasta la vista, baby!

Thanks for the link and I go to a church group specific for people with mental illnesses and eating disorders but that’s all. And I’m just not sure who I should tell at work that I have this problem and I’m sure telling someone will also bring on my anxiety

Talk to your store's HR asap.
They can best assess your working situation & if you have a note from a doctor regarding your condition, you should bring that too.

Thanks for the link and I go to a church group specific for people with mental illnesses and eating disorders but that’s all. And I’m just not sure who I should tell at work that I have this problem and I’m sure telling someone will also bring on my anxiety

Talk to a doctor ASAP.
Then talk to HR.
I understand all of this will make you anxious and will be hard.
Try not to think of all of it together.

Think of each step as a separate operation.

I'm going to make an appointment with a doctor.
breath
I will drive to the office.
breath
I will fill out the paperwork.
breath
I'm going to tell them what happened at work.
breath

I'm not a counselor but I work in an office full of them and anxiety is a disability we deal with a lot.

When it comes to dealing with HR there is information that can be helpful in this thread about the ADA.

MODERATED - AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (ADA) - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/americans-with-disabilities-act-ada.21717/

I’m gonna catch hell but... unless you have a serious medical issue get a grip. Life is just this- the unexpected, the unannounced, the just plain weird. Find your way. And WHEN YOU DO you have stabilized yourself and can help others.

Talk to a doctor ASAP.
Then talk to HR.
I understand all of this will make you anxious and will be hard.
Try not to think of all of it together.

Think of each step as a separate operation.

I'm going to make an appointment with a doctor.
breath
I will drive to the office.
breath
I will fill out the paperwork.
breath
I'm going to tell them what happened at work.
breath

I'm not a counselor but I work in an office full of them and anxiety is a disability we deal with a lot.

When it comes to dealing with HR there is information that can be helpful in this thread about the ADA.

MODERATED - AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (ADA) - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/americans-with-disabilities-act-ada.21717/
Thank you

I have anxiety, but in a different form..but anxiety non the less. Everyone deals with it in different ways and it shows its ugly face in all sorts of ways..I sounds like you had a panic attack because you were forced into a situation you simply were not read for (being on register alone) I would talk to HR asap (there is nothing to be ashamed of) So many of us suffer from this illness at some point in our lives.

After speaking with HR, try having HR sit with you and your TL and explain the situation. Maybe you can receive more training until you feel more comfortable or move to a lesser provoking situation within the store You can always move back to front end when you have a better handle if you like that department the most.

I would also talk to your parents and seek the advice of a doctor who specializes in this field. Medication along with deep breathing exercises, yoga, gym, meditation, etc can all help when a panic attack is arising.

Please do not feel ashamed to speak to someone. You will feel so much better that you know someone else knows your circumstances and situation within the workplace.

After speaking with HR, try having HR sit with you and your TL and explain the situation. Maybe you can receive more training until you feel more comfortable
THAT'S rich! They'll just reduce you to 4 hours a week.

I have anxiety, but in a different form..but anxiety non the less. Everyone deals with it in different ways and it shows its ugly face in all sorts of ways..I sounds like you had a panic attack because you were forced into a situation you simply were not read for (being on register alone) I would talk to HR asap (there is nothing to be ashamed of) So many of us suffer from this illness at some point in our lives.

After speaking with HR, try having HR sit with you and your TL and explain the situation. Maybe you can receive more training until you feel more comfortable or move to a lesser provoking situation within the store You can always move back to front end when you have a better handle if you like that department the most.

I would also talk to your parents and seek the advice of a doctor who specializes in this field. Medication along with deep breathing exercises, yoga, gym, meditation, etc can all help when a panic attack is arising.

Please do not feel ashamed to speak to someone. You will feel so much better that you know someone else knows your circumstances and situation within the workplace.
Thank you I’m going to speak to my hr I really appreciate it

I have really bad anxiety. My first couple of days I went home and cried because I was overwhelmed and my first instinct was that I sucked and I was bothering everyone. I was literally shaky and trying to play it off. My chest was tight and it was just like tunnel vision honestly. I barely even remembered what I was doing, I was just doing.

I eventually got over that. My heart still beats way too fast at times and sometimes anxiety just hits me hard, but I’ve found that over preparation helps me. You could try talking to your TL and just asking if you could read over the book again if you think that would help. I never explained myself to anyone... I was nervous to, but now that I know my TLs I realize talking to them about it, may have helped me because they all are genuinely caring people. I’m doing very well at Targ now and I have faith in you that you can find ways to cope. Good luck and I honestly wish you the best!

My anxiety is so up and down. But I’ve done a lot to work on myself and there are definitely resources. I’m a leader but I get attacks just the same as some team members here so don’t ever feel bad about it. And yes everyone is different. I’ve learned to recognize my triggers and I’ve practiced exercises to calm down.

Back