Archived Any good routines around sorting transition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! We have to clear/set/fill one valley at a time now when we set POGs. With this, it’s imperative that transition is sorted very well so we’re not dragging more freight to the valley than we can work.
I’m struggling with coming up with a way to sort it that takes into account the fact that some POGs aren’t pre-tied due to being planners or revisions. Also, of course the constant struggle of finding the hours and space to separate it. Ideally I’d like to sort it straight off the truck so we don’t have to touch it twice. Would love to hear how anyone else handles sorting it!

Something we did when I had to sort it, because it's transitional, it's most likely mini seasonal so I doesn't have any sorta location on the label, we'd scan each label and write the location on the box. We did that way so it can be sorted and set by aisle.

Transition items like mini and seasonal do get pre-tied and should have locations on them. Some does sneak into stores before they get pre-tied though. Those items we usually backstock so we don't have to sort through miscellaneous pallets as we set.

For sorting, you can pre-tie most salesplans which would help with that part of the sorting. What area of store are you asking about the sort process? I can see needing it done by valley in mini or seasonal, but not necessarily in home decor or domestics. In those areas wouldn't you have more than one or two people setting anyway and could set multiple valleys in a day? Like furniture, 2 people could set it all in one go and there wouldn't be a need to sort the pallets for it. Or it could be palletized by dept.

For mini and seasonal, we give the backroom tl a list of how we want the valleys broken out per pallet- G46 & G47 together for example. This is really helpful on the floorpad of seasonal which can change depending on what gondolas are up.

I agree with signinglady that it depends on the area that you are working on. Doing your preties on time is going to help you out the most.

The second thing and I am speaking from experience is to be in good terms with your logistics TL and hope they know what they are doing when transition comes in. They can make it difficult if they dont give you the space and the team direction during the unload.

Realistically for a large transition you are going to have product for a few aisles share a pallet and there will be multiple pallets of that particular aisle grouping. Communication is going to be the key to get them sorted the way you want them. Also, you should have the sorter for your area be the one that stocks it too. I feel that helps us out the most because they are more likely to sort it better. If its not a permanent end cap we don't really pre tie SPLNs at our store. So the unloader will scan and sort SPLNs on the line during the unload if they can.

My store doesn't pre tie until the last possible time. So we sort by date & dept #(first 3 # of dpci) saves me a headache of having 20 different pallets to sort onto.

Yesterday domestics transition came and the U-boat's and pallets were piled and taken out. Nothing got sorted until they got worked. Luckily, one TM got smart and got a sharpie to mark the location. Needled to say it was a long day for them. But at times on non truck days, the boxes would be sorted, labeled and shot up in receiving.

I think that's the least of anyone's concerns anymore. Right?! I've just accepted that transitions will never get sorted and trapped like before. With this new process it's like Christmas! We just wrapped up setting Halloween and each trapped pallet and repack boxes we went through had sporting goods, toys, softlines (a package of women's thongs) and market freight mixed in. I know it's not perfect but geesh! We just shook our heads and laughed...Not sure who was going to be responsible to push freight that was not transition so we ended up putting it all on a vehicle and let it blend in with all the rest of the vehicles on the floor...😂 It wasn't going to be my team...Not my problem...

Sort? Stage? Organize by locations? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !
How about lets just shrink wrap it all on a pallet and shoot it up.
TRUE FLIPPING STORY

This would be my store, except instead of shrink wrap, it's "push it out onto the floor wherever there's a space whether it's anywhere near where the item will go or not."

One somewhat fortunate side effect of the slow E2E transition is these pallets are now sitting on the floor and hardlines has a chance to catch them before they get put out god-knows-where while we wait for set dates.

35 pallets of transition we got the other night.

Organize by POG if it's not pre-tied, if not enough of 1 pog for a pallet, multiple pogs on a pallet based on what you think might go together, throw it up on a pallet, mark the pallet in huge letters the pogs on it and call it a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back