Archived Any other FDC employees out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outbound manual team here. On H key. I didn't know if anyone else on here worked at one, I didn't many threads about it

Sorry bro, apparently your all alone lol. What's it like working in a FDC? Never really heard anyone talk much about it.

We have a few from the RDCs and at least one from an online fulfillment center, but I think you're the first I've seen from a FDC.

If you're at the FDC in Ohio, the pick labels have been awful lately. Obviously not your department since you're outbound, but I figured I'd let you know.

We have a few from the RDCs and at least one from an online fulfillment center, but I think you're the first I've seen from a FDC.

If you're at the FDC in Ohio, the pick labels have been awful lately. Obviously not your department since you're outbound, but I figured I'd let you know.

Also no pick labels on the freezer pallets from the Columbus Ohio FDC.

Also no pick labels on the freezer pallets from the Columbus Ohio FDC.

That too, I forgot about the frozen casepacks. When that FDC first started servicing my store, it was wonderful to have everything labeled so nothing had to be BCODEd. But now the labels are printed crappy and they stopped labeling frozen boxes.

Sorry bro, apparently your all alone lol. What's it like working in a FDC? Never really heard anyone talk much about it.
It's not too bad really. We have different keys then the traditional RDCs, and most people work 8 hour shifts. I do work at the one in Ohio

That too, I forgot about the frozen casepacks. When that FDC first started servicing my store, it was wonderful to have everything labeled so nothing had to be BCODEd. But now the labels are printed crappy and they stopped labeling frozen boxes.
Yea idk. I don't deal with any freezer involved at my position, I stay warm in the 34 degree rooms as opposed to the negative 15

I had questions but then I remembered my store is frigging C&S not FDC.

1. Those are the 4 day work keys at a DC, they work Tuesday thru Friday. B3 is a FacOPs key where the majority of the PM's are preformed. Of course there are the A keys A1 6am to 6pm and A2 6pm to 6am, A keys work on Saturday Sunday and Monday. If your just starting your likely to get put on A2, it tends to be a feeder key, people move to day shifts as they get the chance.

Greenshirt, Jan 26, 2012

Sorry HLM, it looks like FDC's got some other kinda scheme going. I've never heard of a 'H-key' before.
they do. There's only eight hour shifts at fdcs with the exception of QM and E&F. My shift is Sunday-Thursday 6am-2pm. There's "I" key which is Tuesday to Saturday and a J key that only gets 32 hours a week which covers Friday-Monday. There's a second shift that goes from 2pm-10pm as well.

The load team works a similar schedule except they come in an hour later and stay an hour late.

Sorry I thought this thread was dead, I disappeared for a while.

I used to work at the FDC, not sure if that counts? Probably not. I was miserable there, if it wasn't for awesome co-workers I would have been gone on week 1.

What are the pros and cons of working at a FDC? Several co workers just recently gotten hired at one.
Pros
- 5 8s can be a pro depending on a preference.
-I have never worked in an RDC but I think there OB spots that for sure more labor intensive. Its not a walk in the park here either, but I think the hardest jobs exist over there
-Doesnt get super hot in the Summer like other warehouse jobs

Cons
-Its cold but you get used to it

I have never worked at a FDC b4 but I am currently working at a store in the backroom which isn't bad.
Pros:
- 30 to 40 hours in the back room
- it's overnight backroom so you can wear shorts or jeans if you wish
- can use you phone to listen to music
- mostly non intensive lifting but there is some.
- Mostly left to do your job

Cons:
- Can get hot in the backroom
- Equipment can not work properly at times
- general lack of sense of urgency
- backroom ends up being a dumping ground for trash, back stock, damages and fixtures
- employees leaving before the job is finished or almost finished
- Not a set schedule

I'm also looking at this now. I currently work in a RDC, looking to transfer out to a FDC because it sounds interesting (and I just want to move out of state because I'm at a place in my life where it is possible).

What are daily operations like? They do five 8's? I assume pay is equal? What department types are there and what do they do?

Any insight would help. I'm going to talk to HR pretty soon for info too. Thanks

I'm also looking at this now. I currently work in a RDC, looking to transfer out to a FDC because it sounds interesting (and I just want to move out of state because I'm at a place in my life where it is possible).

What are daily operations like? They do five 8's? I assume pay is equal? What department types are there and what do they do?

Any insight would help. I'm going to talk to HR pretty soon for info too. Thanks

This sounds exactly like me, except my transfer has already been approved! the only thing I'm now worried about is they told me it's a "work till the job is done" type of shift, so if we finish in 4hrs, we VLE and if it takes us 13hrs, then we're staying late. at least that's how they make it sound.

I'm a seasoned IB guy and I love inbound. I'm excited to learn their processes, but worried I'll get transferred to a different department (I was told I couldn't be guaranteed an IB spot). But I'd still be excited to learn those departments as well

This sounds exactly like me, except my transfer has already been approved! the only thing I'm now worried about is they told me it's a "work till the job is done" type of shift, so if we finish in 4hrs, we VLE and if it takes us 13hrs, then we're staying late. at least that's how they make it sound.

I'm a seasoned IB guy and I love inbound. I'm excited to learn their processes, but worried I'll get transferred to a different department (I was told I couldn't be guaranteed an IB spot). But I'd still be excited to learn those departments as well

Congratulations on your transfer. Let me know how you like it. I personally have no issue staying late with a work schedule like that. My guess is it will all balance out, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Congratulations on your transfer. Let me know how you like it. I personally have no issue staying late with a work schedule like that. My guess is it will all balance out, so I wouldn't be too worried.
I definitely will. I'm excited for all the newness! Yeah, I hope the days balance out. My biggest concern is not having that 36/40hr paycheck.

I quite like the fdc, I'm on the weekend key so I don't usually get 40 hours, but guys on the weekday keys usually do. Theres usuually flex up opportunities as well. First shift is typically guaranteed 40 hours and second shift is work until work is done. Most nights are 7-8 hours but we've been pretty slow since the Thanksgiving push so far. This is all for warehousing as well. Other departments I'm not too sure on. As for the work, warehousing isn't too bad, mostly a lot of walking/lifting which I'm sure compares to the rdc. Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back