Archived Any tips on how to be sure time off gets approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going on vacation to Florida for a little over three weeks from Dec. 29th to January 22nd. So I'm going to meet with my HR ETL to put in for a LOA since I can only request off 10 days at a time. I'm thinking I won't have a problem since I'm a good employee and have never been written up, only been late once or twice in two years and always finish my work before I go home even if it means I stay later. Also the fact that i will be there for the 4th quarter and Christmas this year and all that. Also figuring they try and save by cutting down hours in January anyway.

But I'm coming to you guys to see if there are any tips or ideas you can give me to be sure it gets approved? How I should approach the situation with HR? It just has me a little nervous because it is a pretty long vacation and I'm just not sure if I'll get it all.

Getting approval is often pretty random...however, if you talk with your HR before you try to put it in mytime, you might have a better chance.

When you start your conversation w/ HR begin by asking them for their help on how to get this vacation time....it will come across better this way. If you go to HR and TELL them, they'll be less inclined to help you out.

In most things in life, you get farther if you make a request or a need sound like you are needing assistance.....needing "help" doing something is a better way to get what you want. Make sense?

For example....instead of saying "I'm taking a three week vacation" say "I am planning a three week vacation and I will need your help in order to assure that I will be able to get the approval for this time."

Also, address this issue sooner rather than later. The more time you give HR to plan the better your odds of getting the OK.

Hope this helps!

All great advice,also it is much easier to get approval for a longer vacation,when it is a long time in advance,and it helps if you are attending a reunion or have commit to pay for your airfares way in advance.Good luck with your plans,hopefully we will all need a vacation at that time because we have a great holiday season.

Ask now.

Offer something (To work every busy weekend/day before then)

Get your etl to back you up.

Good luck!

Also, even if you see it was approved on myTime Self Service, when they start making the schedule for that first week you want off, remind the person doing the scheduling. I don't know how many TMs have not done this and have been surprised when the schedule is posted and it says they are working that week. The TM gets upset and then the TMHR has to start making phone calls to fill the shifts.

Also, even if you see it was approved on myTime Self Service, when they start making the schedule for that first week you want off, remind the person doing the scheduling. I don't know how many TMs have not done this and have been surprised when the schedule is posted and it says they are working that week. The TM gets upset and then the TMHR has to start making phone calls to fill the shifts.

Why would a TM get upset at that? Their time off was already seen an approved. It's on management at that point to cover those shifts. The TM that was approved doesn't have to do anything

Why would a TM get upset at that? Their time off was already seen an approved. It's on management at that point to cover those shifts. The TM that was approved doesn't have to do anything
I know that, and you know that, but newbies freak out. They really freak out when they learn it wasn't approved in the first place (because they didn't check).

Thank you so much for all the replies guys I appreciate it!!! Btw Saul goodman...love your username! Better Call Saul is one of my fave shows as is Breaking Bad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back