Anyone here deal with mental illness?

Sorry guys. I’m still around.
I almost had to go inpatient but thankfully I didn’t have to. I’ve started seeing a new therapist and a new psychiatrist who is adjusting my meds.
I went to HR and my ETL to ask them if they could work w me and give me time to get stable. My ETL was extremely condescending and made me feel like an idiot. My HR actually said “if you had a physical disability we could accommodate you...”. Yeah. That’s what he said. I started crying bc I felt so stupid thinking these people I’ve worked so hard for would fight to keep me around.
Anyway I left his office went to the computer and put in my notice.

I’m feeling better. No real thoughts of death. I feel less stressed. I’ll be ok.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
HR is all sorts of illegal. Mental disabilities are exactly the same as physical disabilities in the eyes of the law.

For pure vengeance I'd be the bitch to call the hotline and quote your HR word for word immediately and once I was stronger I'd have a chat with the EEOC about what actions could be taken. If there were witnesses to the comment, I'd write the names down for the EEOC. Write, because depression brain makes you forget everything.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
I really am feeling bitchy tonight. That 1 in 4 number, that includes a lot of acute mental illnesses, the person recovers and a new person gets sick to be that 1 in 4. That also includes psychiatric woes caused as a side effect from something non-brain chemicals physical.

I really, really hope the two of them become that 1 in 4 number, severe emotional issues to boot. They need to walk a mile in our shoes. I'd give it a week and they'd be huddled under the coffee table, crying hysterically, slamming their fists to feel pain to distract from the pain inside.

Aredhel

Jolly Rancher
@sweetpea it’s unfortunate you had that experience. Try not to dwell and look for a better match employment wise. And count your blessings. Not so long ago there was far less knowledge about mental health and far, far less tolerance. A sense of perspective and gratitude can be very helpful. Take care of yourself physically, good diet, exercise and spend time with people who understand. It can and does get better.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
Struggling a little. I'm at the edges of depression, no energy, no will. Work procedures changed and I'm having problems keeping up. I still feel I did all the wrong things for my cat and I miss him. There's some shelter advertisement, it shows every commercial break on the channels I watch and it just hurts. All my emotions are extreme, joy, anger, sad, and my sense that people are plotting actions might be inappropriately placed. Ick.

TTGOz

Suitable
My girlfriend just got prescribed Zoloft 50mg tablets after being diagnosed with Clinical Depression. She thinks it's a little high so she's been splitting the little pills in half as the doctor suggested. She started it today and she's been nauseous all day.

I don't know 100% a lot about the medicine and neither does she, but I know you guys have mentioned taking Zoloft before and was just wondering if there's any useful insights we should know. The pharmacist apparently thought it was a really high dose since this is her very first time doing it, and I'm kind of worried it is, too. Any thoughts? Think the nausea is just a temporary reaction to starting the medicine? I told my girlfriend to ask for a lower dose if she feels like it's too high.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
My girlfriend just got prescribed Zoloft 50mg tablets after being diagnosed with Clinical Depression. She thinks it's a little high so she's been splitting the little pills in half as the doctor suggested. She started it today and she's been nauseous all day.

I don't know 100% a lot about the medicine and neither does she, but I know you guys have mentioned taking Zoloft before and was just wondering if there's any useful insights we should know. The pharmacist apparently thought it was a really high dose since this is her very first time doing it, and I'm kind of worried it is, too. Any thoughts? Think the nausea is just a temporary reaction to starting the medicine? I told my girlfriend to ask for a lower dose if she feels like it's too high.
I'll look it up after work.

Aredhel

Jolly Rancher

Ginger for nausea. Tea is good. You can stir ginger cooking powder in a beverage or bite the bullet and eat a nickel sized slice fresh. Really bitter though. Celestial Seasonings makes a great tea. There’s a tiger on the box I forget the name.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
Nausea is a common side effect for Zoloft. Maybe eating when taking it will help, it can be taken with or without food, though Drugs.com says it's either eat all the time or not eat all the time, not flipping back and forth.

50mg is actually the common starting dosage for adults, therapeutic tends to be 50mg-200mg. Interesting note, that same therapeutic range is also approved for 6 year old kids, so 50mg is not a high dose at all.

My experience is that a lot of side effects you just have to live with for a few weeks and you'll be fine. Nausea tends to be one of those, especially once you learn what soothing food/drink to take with it, and how long before or after dosing to eat. But there's a million medications out there, if the side effects are intolerable with one medication then insist on a different one.

Peak blood levels is about 6-8 hours after taking the medication. If sleepiness is a problem then keep that in mind when planning the dosing in conjunction to sleeping hours.

Here's the Drugs.com page on it. Don't let the extensive list of side effects scare you, equally long lists are common for antibiotics and hormonal birth control.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
Times Up.....if you and your girlfriend are concerned then speak with the doctor. I don''t know how else to put this....you're being stupid. How can the medicine help if you two are playing doctor? Either listen to the doctor or forget going to one.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
When I was in the hospital they added a new medicine...Abilify. It is a mood stabilizer. I felt a difference right away and in a couple more weeks I was getting close to feeling good most days. When I saw my psychiatrist about 6 weeks after my hospitalization he increased my dosage to 15mg. I've been having good days pretty regularly and my thinking has become more healthy. I hope that this becomes permanent. There is one big drawback....abilify increases the appetite....and an increased appetite means more food and weight gain. My PCP is really happy that it seems that we've found the right medicine combination, but the weight gain isn't helping. We talked about what things I am going to need to do to combat this problem and it means a pretty big change in my eating and exercising routine. My PCP also mentioned that my age isn't helping because I'm at the age of weight gain due to menopause....yippee. So I'm entering a time of hormonal changes and who knows what that might do to my body regarding my meds. So, this good time of feeling close to normal may not last all that long. So it is important to enjoy how I'm feeling right now. Another problem could be the winter season because I seem to have SAD so who knows how I might be feeling during the winter. Therefore I am determined to enjoy this place that I am in right now since it may not last.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member

I take 150mg but I'm a big dude who metabolizes drugs at a high rate.
I also take bupropron and prazosin.
That is just for the depression.
I take a large cocktail of other drugs for my epilepsy, blood pressure, tremors, and nerve pain.
Hell on my liver but it gets me through the day.

So, yeah, make sure she eats something filling when she takes the zoloft (I eat oatmeal) and that she drinks a lot of water.
It can make you a bit dizzy if you aren't used to it but that passes.
Just about all of the meds I take say they will make you dizzy which probably explains a lot about me.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
Times Up.....if you and your girlfriend are concerned then speak with the doctor. I don''t know how else to put this....you're being stupid. How can the medicine help if you two are playing doctor? Either listen to the doctor or forget going to one.
Not stupid. The doctor approved the cutting in half, the pharmacist gave information that does not match the FDA information and was scary, and there was a side effect question.

I'm sure we all have networked elsewhere online, not just here. Think about the crazy shit (pun intended) that goes on in mental health forums ("health" is laughable). @ttogz is being reasonably cautious, not playing doctor.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
@pellinore Ask your doctor exactly what your diagnosis is. Make him give the exact words. Abilify doesnt tend to work on common depression, it's an antipsychotic so it has antidepressant qualities on completely different mental illnesses. Knowing that diagnosis is utterly essential if you get a new doctor of any specialty, for your PCP to know, and even knowing the choices you need to make to live a healthy life.

Edit, before the word "antipsychotic" scares you, it is also used as a mood stabilizer to treat bipolar depression. That's why you need to find out exactly how your brain is ill. It's like knowing if you have diabetes 1 or 2, or hypo vs hyperthyroidism, or any other condition with different causes but similar appearing outcomes.

Last edited:
I believe this should be directed elsewhere. I'm not taking any meds currently and don't have a girlfriend.

GoodyNN

Plays with strings; Bacon Number of 2
I believe that one is Bengal Spice
Bengal Spice does indeed have a tiger on the box and it does have ginger in it. They also have a lemon ginger and a maple ginger, as well as the seasonal Gingerbread Spice.