Anyone here deal with mental illness?

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
I want to apologize to everyone about my post regargiing "playing doctor." I messed up....in numerous ways. For the errors in judgement I made to the words I wrote. Please forgive me for what I said and for getting so much mixed up.

pellinore.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
The Abilify is often used with depression that is resistant to normal courses of treatment. With the troubles I've had the last year my psychiatrist was planniing on adding the abilify once he was sure that the dose of my effexor was stable and my moodiness continued. Meantime I was getting myself in a really bad place and visited my doctors nurse and then ended up in the hospital. The hospital doctor and my doctor consulted and then put me on Abilify. A lower dose is used with people who need an extra boost with their depression. While the Abilify helped, I still was experiencing some negative feelings and my psych doctor adjusted my Abilify up a bit. I see the doctor next Friday morning. I'll ask him then about the full spectrum lighting and if it is a wise thing to do. I'll also ask him for a specific diagnosis.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
@pellinore Don't beat yourself up about the post. It was a pretty minor slipup. But definitely double check your actual diagnosis. Doctors can be really good about explaining how they expect a medication to help you, touch on why, but completely leave out that it's because your symptoms have been re-evaluated and it's now thought that you actually suffer from something else. Partly they don't think about you might be needing treatment elsewhere other than with them, partly because they don't want to scare you with really, really scary terms. But knowledge is power, and there's always more doctors.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
Interesting article.

Scientists' Understanding of Anxiety is Radically Evolving—But How Long Will it Take for Treatments to Catch Up?

The one part that gives me the heebie jeebies though is this one:
"Eventually, clinicians will have more measures from genetics, neuroscience, neural imaging and other disciplines that would help shape the clinician's ability to pick a treatment applicable to individual patients, says Daniel Pine, chief, section on development and affective neuroscience, in the National Institute of Mental Health Intramural Research Program. Finding new and more specific ways to classify patients who are experiencing symptoms is an important initial step. "

At some point you have to quit chasing what of a 100 different things could be the exact manner of illness and just treat it. Someone has a sinus infection, they don't analyze the nasal cavities for shape and where the bacteria are clinging to and the exact species of bacteria and if they have the genes for resistance - the doctor confirms your nose is full of green snot and there's bacteria present and prescribes something broad spectrum. I read an article saying there could be more than 25 different disorders that we call schizophrenia today. Is finding out if it's #23 important, or is getting the hallucinations and delusions under control important?

And count in health care costs. I've had a couple of doctors wanting me to get the genetic testing that determines how well or poorly different psychiatric medications will work. I've had at least 5 or 6 different health insurances since the first time it was brought up, never was able to get the genetic testing on the insurance company's dime. What about when a patient can't afford neural imaging and genetic testing? Do they just not get diagnosed and therefore not treated because they aren't "compliant" because they haven't gone through all "needed" tests?

prettydeadboy

Getting by these Troubled Times
It’s really hard to not care about almost everything when anxiety is sitting in the passenger seat and tugging on my arm while whispering ‘you better watch out’ over and over again sometimes without a rational explanation.

And then I have depression right over here lounging in the backseat draping its arms around my face and telling me ‘don’t bother, you’re worthless’ as it’s tightening its grip.

It’s high time I look for a therapist again. It’s been years because I thought I was getting better, but it looks like I was moreover trying to convince myself other people had it worse than me and I was doing better by that comparison... and that did me no justice to my mental health in the end.

prettydeadboy

Getting by these Troubled Times
*pops head in*

Hello hello, sorry for the M.I.A. Been getting busier with Q4 rolling in, but rest assured I’m not at my lowest in the threshold. I’ve been semi-productive with art/writing/music stuff (it’s all over the place though oops) whenever I had time, so that’s some progress

I’m not doing very good. It’s all I can do to make it to work and back home. With my mid shifts I don’t seem to be able to get to therapy appointments or find a way to exercise. I know I’m responsible for taking care of myself, but I’m really struggling. Thanks for asking for a check in. I’m all alone here so I appreciate any...well, anything.

Marcellow

No and that’s final
I’m not doing very good. It’s all I can do to make it to work and back home. With my mid shifts I don’t seem to be able to get to therapy appointments or find a way to exercise. I know I’m responsible for taking care of myself, but I’m really struggling. Thanks for asking for a check in. I’m all alone here so I appreciate any...well, anything.
I’m sorry to hear this. The mid shifts are exactly why I’m searching for a new job - no work/life balance to put yourself first. Been interviewing left and right because I need to be out before I’m stuck in Q4.

Aredhel

Jolly Rancher
Hang in there. Treat yourself like a friend who has the same problem. If you can break up your routine a little.

Black Sheep 214

Kiss no butts, give no fox
Sorry that things aren’t going well. It’s really difficult to have any kind of work/ life balance while working mid-shifts. You can’t get much done before work and nothing after, either. Mid-shifts mess up sleep patterns and are energy draining for a lot of people. Don’t beat yourself up over it, just do the best you can with the circumstances you are in. Tessa120’s suggestion for set time therapy appointments sounds great, sometimes just having a set routine helps you save the energy to get to them. Hang in there!

ADA, they have to give you time off for medical appointments. Therapists love putting a person in a set day and time for all weeks, making work scheduling accommodations easier.
Get the ADA forms and get things going.

@BullseyeBabe
As far as exercise, would you be willing to commit to walking just 10 minutes a day. You could post here which day and then report back to us. If you can't give yourself permission to engage in self care, maybe having some accountability to others will nudge you in that direction.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
This being a work forum, the subject comes up a lot, but the discussions about work/treatment conflict seem to be pretty universal in all the mental illness online communities I've ever been a part of. And since my first online community was Walkers in Darkness back in the late 90s, plus nearly any hobby/work forum has a mental illness thread in the Off-Topic sub-forum, I've seen a lot of different communities, not just one or two.

It's almost like the mentally ill in the US don't seem to realize that when it comes to legal protections, we are on par with people in wheelchairs. So many people who suffer from a mental illness try to turn themselves into pretzels to try to make treatment happen around work, but they've never actually gone to their work and state their needs. And more do state their needs, but frame it as a favor that they are asking and are vague about why they are asking, so it is interpreted as a wanted request, not a need with legal protection.

So many times over the years in these communities, when I ask "Did you use the scary legal words?" so often the answer is no. It's almost like many mentally ill people don't think they deserve protection or help, or think that invisible means "doesn't qualify".

I can remember being younger and not as stable and not as confident. But I don't remember ever thinking that my broken brain was different and less than visible disabilities.

Part of me is asking, "why?" But part of me wants to, I don't know, start some sort of movement to inform and give support/solidarity for the working and want-to-work mentally ill. After all, we have to have medical support to be well enough to work, and work can be a stabilizing routine and bit of socialization to keep the brain stable, so it's in everybody's best interest for employers to be flexible in order to retain solid workers.

TTGOz

Suitable
I want to apologize to everyone about my post regargiing "playing doctor." I messed up....in numerous ways. For the errors in judgement I made to the words I wrote. Please forgive me for what I said and for getting so much mixed up.

pellinore.
I realize this is a month-late(just haven't checked) but it's okay. Everyone misreads messages because they're not overtly obvious as to what the intention of the message is. I've come to realize online it's easy to misread or jump on an overly "tough love" sentiment. I've done it a few times, too. Sometimes I'll see a post from a new user like "Can I transfer stores again after already transferring" because someone didn't like the job and I came off harsh and condescending, when that's not even remotely close to the person I am in real life. I'm very much the person to relate to the underdog, to accept newcomers with a warm welcome, but in some cases on here I forget my very purpose of existing; helping people feel validated. No one appointed me to do that, I just know that if I was new somewhere I'd love to be treated that way. I base my life off of "How would I want to be treated in this situation?"

Certain situations trigger something in someone that causes it. In real life, I'm not typically irritable or agitated, but online I lose my own way because it's just SO easy to. No one is innocent, please don't beat yourself up over it.
TL;DR It's completely fine, your opinion was still valuable to me because my girlfriend does need to see her doctor about it. Not related to dosages, but for the side-effects. She hasn't taken it since I asked on here and I think she's lied to me about having a doctor's appointment scheduled to alleviate her concerns or switch medication.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
You think she will lie to you that she saw the doctor and lie and say the doctor told her she doesn't need medication at all?

My recommendation is tell her treatment is non negotiable, it will happen, and be prepared to walk. Unfettered mental illness destroying not just the mentally ill person's life but also the lives of loved ones is a hill to die on.

Tessa120

I escaped the asylum!
I just found out my insurance covers virtual visits for therapy. I'm glad because today broke me. I've hit the limits of my strength. I hope the ortho surgeon that I will be making an appointment with tomorrow will have more cheery things to say.

I can't find words. Just google "brachial neuritis" and read about the pain. Fast forward 3 years, over a year of physical recovery, finally getting over fear and dread whenever I sleep wrong or get a cramp, now google "cervical radiculopathy" and read about that pain. Hopefully the primary care doctor is wrong about the latter. But my wrist is telling me that she's likely right.

Hi I’m just reaching out to speed to other on my first day of training Everything was great everyone seemed pretty nice. I am training as a guest advocate but after enough customers they let me run the register by myself. Quickly I got hot, thirsty, and lightheaded. I have generalized anxiety even the smallest things a guest says can bring on my anxiety. I’m sweating and can’t think straight for the last 15 minutes while I’m on the clock and then my TL says great job you’re good to go. I go to punch out feeling nausea from all the anxiety and wondering if I have my team number with me to punch out. I finally find my number and punch out. Quickly I realize my nausea is going to turn into vomiting but there is no bathroom In the back and the closest one was all the way across guest service and I was sure I’d throw up in front of people. I struggled to unlock my locker to grab my phone and keys hoping I can get out of there quick enough. But I ended up Vomiting all over the floor I began to cry so embarrassed and frustrated. I hardly ate that day and quickly ran to the break room to get napkins and cleaned it all up there was vomit all over my uniform and hands so i quickly left and I threw up in my car for 20 minutes before I could even drive. I’m not sure what I should do I’ve worked in small stores before but nothing as large as target. I don’t know how to notify my co workers about what happened or who to talk to about how I feel.