Archived Anyone's store have any female flow/backroom TMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty proud to say that my store is fairly egalitarian in how it schedules. Every team is approaching 50/50 split, whether its market, backroom, softlines, hardlines, or electronics. Even our team leads and ETL ratios are near that, though my district is still pretty much 75/25 for female to male right now and that seems to be swinging the other way now.

I'm a bit confused on why some women (or maybe men too) are unable to use the stacker or power jack. Does the machine not do all the work and you just have to steer?

Have you used that equipment? It does require some practice because those things will take you for a ride if you're not careful.

I'm a bit confused on why some women (or maybe men too) are unable to use the stacker or power jack. Does the machine not do all the work and you just have to steer?
no, the machine does not do all the work. first of all, the forks on the crown mean that every single pallet has to be perfectly straight, from the one on the ground to the one up on the pallet racking. 99% of the time you will have to adjust it by hand in order for it to come down on the ground. easy as hell when its 2lbs of paper. much harder when its a 300lbs DVD shipper.
And when using the wave, you know all of that hot air in the backroom? do you know where it ends up? right at the ceiling. so now, you're not only lifting some 100lbs piece of furniture, or grabbing ten 50lbs bags of dog food, but you're doing it in literally the hottest part of the store.

Yeah, to actually use the equipment is WORK. Just do it dammit. I have found when you over analyze what your doing, the more incidents happen. Don't say it's too much work, just say that your not efficient at it. Let's not be too PC about it.

We have a good mix on the flow team, some are good, some are bad. Some are men, some are women.... kinda funny that way....
I do have a br tm who is female who I would put against anyone in the company. Throw the truck, np. Backstock the entire truck, ok. 2 hour CAF, done in 55 minutes.... she is friggin' awesome!

50+ woman who uses and trains others on the equipment. Our biggest problem is that our backroom is so small and overstuffed that using the equipment is sometimes a safety issue.

Whats real fun is to use the crown in the fixture room which is half the width and you have to get through the door.
Plus you're trying to put signing pallets up in the steel that are off kilter or weird sizes.

At first I asked the best operators, usually the TL in the BR, to help. but after a while I had to train myself to do it.
The fact is practice is the only way and that's not always easy to get.

So I'm not the only one that thinks it's strange that some females refuse to use the stacker and crown in backroom even though you are supposed to know how to do it? I'm sorry but not using the crown or stacker in backroom would be like a sales floor team member not zoning. And I hear the "we're afraid she might tear something up" all the time. And my response is "why is she working in the backroom then".

So I'm not the only one that thinks it's strange that some females refuse to use the stacker and crown in backroom even though you are supposed to know how to do it? I'm sorry but not using the crown or stacker in backroom would be like a sales floor team member not zoning. And I hear the "we're afraid she might tear something up" all the time. And my response is "why is she working in the backroom then".

That is 100% a leadership issue in your store. Everyone in backroom is supposed to be certified and proficient in using the powered equipment.

f8wojt-jpg.42767

Whats real fun is to use the crown in the fixture room which is half the width and you have to get through the door.
Plus you're trying to put signing pallets up in the steel that are off kilter or weird sizes.

At first I asked the best operators, usually the TL in the BR, to help. but after a while I had to train myself to do it.
The fact is practice is the only way and that's not always easy to get.

I watched my backroom TL use the stacker in the fixture room once. Not a lot of room to maneuver back there. I can't fathom how he managed not to let that pallet of shelves come crashing to the floor.

How could you fit a pallet through the door way? The fixture room at my store has no room for pallets. I don't see why anyone would ever try to use the stacker or crown in the fixture room.

I just wish the backroom I worked in was about everyone doing their fair share and no shortcuts or lighter workloads. I don't care if you're a woman. If you are a backroom team member, you should have to do your fair share of using the baler, the crown, the stacker, and making bales. It's not going to kill you. I always love how certain backroom team members get so defensive when you call them out on not being trained properly. Why are you in the backroom then? I mean seriously, go be a cashier or work on the salesfloor.
My workload shouldn't be increased because you're too lazy or embarrassed about not knowing how to do what you are suppose to know how to do in the backroom. Since you don't know how to do those things or refuse to learn, I am the one that suffers. I have to pick up the slack. Team members like that should be fired in my opinion or be forced to work in a different department.

How could you fit a pallet through the door way? The fixture room at my store has no room for pallets. I don't see why anyone would ever try to use the stacker or crown in the fixture room.

Our fixture room has a double-door. If both sides are open, you can fit a pallet through without any issues. Maneuvering a pallet inside the fixture room is a much bigger issue.

Our fixture room has a double-door. If both sides are open, you can fit a pallet through without any issues. Maneuvering a pallet inside the fixture room is a much bigger issue.

Ours did too.
Of course if the only spot to put your pallet up is the one right next to the door that really doesn't mean much especially since the sign computer is right there and everybody keeps running in, even when they can see what you're trying to do, and wanting to print off their stuff.

This is every work center. We have a guy going on 30 years that doesn't know how to use a PDA. Then there's all the sales floor TMs that can't check BR locations using item search or the price checker. I once went to the other store in town and was exchanging a broken frame. I wanted the exact location, but the service desk TM didn't know how to look that up. I pointed to the PDA and she said she didn't know how to use that.

We've got a good mix of males/females in our store.
Our ETL Logistics is a female....our one SrTL backroom is a female.
Our flow/truck team is both male/female.
We've got male/female cashiers.
One of our best cart attendants was a female.
We've usually got females in the electronics dept, too.

I am a female and I primarily work on flow but I do work backroom, pricing, presentation, salesfloor, instocks, softlines, ad setup, cashier, electronics, and just recently gsa. The best flow team members are all females at my store.

Ours did too.
Of course if the only spot to put your pallet up is the one right next to the door that really doesn't mean much especially since the sign computer is right there and everybody keeps running in, even when they can see what you're trying to do, and wanting to print off their stuff.

I thought all stores had a fixture room with double doors.

I feel bad for people with single doors.

The little things.

Me!!! :) I like that our flow and backroom is mostly guys. Because most working females can be straight up bitches. There's this one Asian ETL chick who will flat out be all happy and giddy talking to anything with a dick but a complete cunt talking to other females. Unless they are leads. I want to put her in her place but umm...I'm just a TM after all...Lmao. she's such a ho.

It's called "Queen Bee Syndrome"; if a hive has more than one queen, they'll fight by buzzing loudly, fighting & stinging until one is dead.
Females who are insecure feel threatened by other women so they come across as b1tchy (loud buzz) to assert dominance.

Me!!! :) I like that our flow and backroom is mostly guys. Because most working females can be straight up bitches. There's this one Asian ETL chick who will flat out be all happy and giddy talking to anything with a dick but a complete cunt talking to other females. Unless they are leads. I want to put her in her place but umm...I'm just a TM after all...Lmao. she's such a ho.

I think I would like the bitch rather than the one we have who talks to people like two year olds and yes she whines. I don't talk to children like that much less adults.

As In-Stocks, I am a jack of all trades but my backroom skills are limited. I am certified on the equipment: Wave, Crown but due to medications I take I stay off of them. If anything bad happened it could be just ugly. The people who need to know, know and respect that. So since I can't get stuff down or locate pallets up in the steel, I make sure to pull stuff I can pull. Or when they need help backstocking I go to soft-lines or cosmetics which I know a couple of the guys hate to work. Or occasionally just take something they pulled up to guest service for them. You offer that in the middle of a CAF round - you just earned being able to say "hey can you get the Wave and locate that pallet?" After they finish pulling the CAF round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back