Archived Applying for SBTL.. Long story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this, My husband also works for Target and it seems its all we ever have to talk about so I am out reaching. Our SBTL was quickly let go. I work all over the store. Was told this was a good chance for me to move up. I am nervous of course and don't know what to expect. I am the Senior Team Member for Food Ave which really just means I do all the work for my Consumables TL who has never worked a day in Food Ave. I am using a phone so willing to give more info as this moves along. Help with nerves and what to expect would be great. Also is this the STL and ETL's way of boosting my morale but don't really have me pegged for this? How can I prove I can do this?

I have no Barista training I should include, so I would be jumping on a whole new rollercoaster ride.

These two can give you the best insight.
Xanatos is a SrSBTL & CoquiAzul is an experienced barista who became SBTL several months ago.
Both also work at hi-vol stores.

Neither is on right now but I tagged them both so they should respond later.
I'm a former barista-trainer but no longer with spot (Target).

Training on drinks is learning the basic formula for each type of drink; the rest are all variants of the same ol'.
Ex: basic latte - steam milk while pulling espresso shots into the cup, then pour the milk in while holding the foam back. Place a dollop of foam on top (to keep it hot) & voila! Latte.
Add pumps of vanilla syrup & you have a vanilla latte; add mocha syrup with a touch of whip on top & you have a mocha latte.
Same with learning how to do a frappucino, iced tea/tea lemonades, smoothies, etc.
When you look at the recipe file, it's daunting (& 2.5" thick); but when you break it down to types, it's easier to grasp.

The former SBTL said, "The Starbucks training should be smooth for you. You have that steel trap thing going on." This made me giggle of course. My concern is with my higher ups. They love my work ethic and worry I will leave often due to hours which is why it was brought up to me to apply. Though as the Senior Team Member of Food Ave I am not listened to when it comes to certain team members. So I feel as a glorified asst to a TL who shows fear anytime he comes near food ave. Our store has the whole click thing going on as well as most do. I love my team and I speak loudly for them, I have no issue going to the ETL and STL. I am pushy but I get it done and make them notice us, as I have read a lot we aren't the only store where we feel that Food Ave and Starbucks are that foster kid you got stuck with adopting.

Last edited:
Our SBTL was not aware this was coming. They listed her position a couple weeks ago without informing her till 2 days ago. Telling her it was porformance reasons, they she could go back to GSA or stay at SB and be fired in the long run. The team in SB is close, and working in food ave has made us all close. She has told them to support me if I am chosen, know it was in no way my fault or anything close. The girls and one guy are hoping it will be me and have given me all kinds of ideas on to help the performance. So again here's hoping. I just know I need to be able to say the right things in the interview. Not to mention the interview with the DM for our location. I know the teams view or happiness may change if/when it happens. I am in no way a push over and try to work the Target way. Fast, fun and friendly. I know several ways to boost the Brand that they won't like. At our location, there is only ever 1 person in Food Ave while SB has 3 to 4 plus the TL during shifts. Though its the 1 persons job in Food Ave to take care of the Lobby as well as maintenance to the kitchen. Things in the kitchen that Starbucks use. I believe it fair the SB team learn to keep up with these things as well as their dishes. My STL likes my view on this and other things. The Lobby mostly... Its what our guest see as soon as they come off a lane and head into Starbucks or leaving the store. I know their slow times where o feel extra stocking, cleaning can go a long way. But picking up straw wrappers and wiping down tables is not their job, when it should be instead of checking Facebook and text messages. These are things I feel I want to say in the interview to show what I can bring to the team.

Coqui & Xanatos will have plenty of experience, insight & advice for you.

3-4 people in Starbucks at a time, holy shit. You can probably talk to Coqui more about that. My store is mid volume. We have single coverage all day Monday through Thursday (except I get a couple hours on Mondays and Thursdays for off the floor stuff and my order), and then we get some double coverage on weekends. I would absolutely say that it's Starbucks' job to clean the lobby. If they're following Playbook, they should have one person at the register, one person making drinks, and a third person stocking, cleaning, and potentially helping the other 2 out when it's really busy. I don't know for sure because I have actual double coverage (no one on break, etc.) for about 5% of the week. I only have triple coverage on Black Friday, and only for part of that day.

Anyway, I agree with everything redeye said, especially about recipes. When you first look at all of the recipe cards and then hear that you can customize each drink about a thousand different ways, it seems overwhelming. But the vast majority of them are based off of about 3 different recipes - take those 3 and just change the syrup flavor, type of milk, etc, and that's how you get the thousands of different drinks. I was promoted to Starbucks without ever drinking a cup of coffee in my life, and I didn't even know what a latte was until the 3rd or 4th day of training, so that was the hardest part for me. I was trying to think of each drink as completely separate. Learn how to make a latte, a frappuccino, and a tea. Then think of (almost) all the other drinks as variations of those 3 drinks, instead of as unique drinks. It's not as complicated as people try to make it.

My best piece of advice is to try to follow Starbucks' standards as best you can. I've seen TMs change recipes because that's how they liked the drink, and they thought guests liked it to. It just creates inconsistency in your store (and even if all of your baristas make it the same way, it won't be the same as other stores and the guests will be confused and frustrated). Starbucks is a good company that has been successful for a while; do what they tell you to do and you'll be successful, too.

And hold your team accountable. That's something that has never come easy to me. I can lead by example, I can correct their small mistakes, but it takes courage to coach on conduct issues (bad attitude, deliberately taking shortcuts to make things easier, etc).

Familiarize yourself with the order dates (can't run a store with no product) as well as the promotional resets which Starbucks tends to have every three months (usually falls on a Monday so I would make that your closing day). Get to know the habits of the team and observe how they work and who does what. If it's a veteran team it's bittersweet, one because you don't need to train them, but if they have some bad habits, it's really hard to get them to change without them thinking that you are "power tripping" on them. It happened to me when I first took over. I inherited a veteran team (one that I was part of) and we had a horrible attendance issue as well as a very negative guest experience. Everyone likes to complain and complain about guests which I understand but we never tried to offer great guest service and that was what I focused on when I became TL. I tackled attendance and had to have difficult conversations with the veteran TMs over their attitudes which caused some to hate me and quit. It was honestly the best thing that happened because I was able to create a very positive culture and one that my ETL and SBDM noticed right off the bat. It's going to be hard but if you show your team you're there to help and make things better, it'll get better. Develop your TMs, THAT will help you so much you don't even understand. Involve them in the operations of the department and show them that they are there to do more than just make coffee. When you interview it'll be with your ETL (who should be prepping you, your STL and then either your DTL or HRBP. My STL asked me what are things I'd do similarly to my previous TL and what would I do differently which I'm guessing is something they ask internals when promoting so keep that in mind. Any more questions just keep them coming. I'll help as much as I can.

Thank you both. My STL is on her way out and the Front of the House ETL ugh.. Is straight out of College and sadly is trying to act like he can do this job, than actually do it. Again though this is just me hoping I get it. I work hard and enjoy working hard. Something my STL and other ETLs know. I have only been with Target for 3 months and in that time have received a new Title as well a raise twice. I know they first question our ETLs always ask... What do you feel you can bring to the team and can you help with performance? Well I know what I can bring to the team but I don't know what her failures were?... The team she has had is a 2 year old team. Problems they gave her? I have no idea. I do know what I have seen. Is this something they are looking for me to tell them?

Like the Lobby.... Seriously they never leave behind the bar. They as well as the LOD's expect the one person in Food Ave to clean the lobby hourly as well as their other duties. I don't understand that. At our location the Food Ave can't even see the Lobby yet their eyes are always on it.

If I get the promotion how can I involve the other TMs, teaching basic ordering? And so on? Also, our store wants us to now Push Red cards... Are we serious? With a Line of 10 or more?

There was a message directly from Minneapolis that told us to not push REDcards at Starbucks. I don't know if it's still on workbench, but it's still valid.

Delegating some of the ordering is good. I have my team do my Food Ave ordering and Starbucks pastries. It was rough on me when I was doing all of it; I forgot at least one thing each week. Though I do enjoy the ordering, and wouldn't trust anyone with the rest of the Starbucks order. It's too big and too important. Plus trust issues lol. I want it to be done perfectly.

Well maybe push isn't the word, but remind them that they can save 5% with one and let them know they can walk over to Food Ave and apply in seconds. At our Location Food Ave and Starbucks is seperate. I am the Senior Team member there and do All ordering, none of SBTMs know how to do anything over there, maybe ring up a drink or bag some corn but that's all.

My husband said low volume store, he is the Electronics Brand
It's important to know your Target volume, but your Starbucks volume is more important. There is a store in my district that is a super low volume Target, but did double my Starbucks sales until they had a company operated Starbucks open near them.

If you can get an idea of either your payroll or your weekly sales, you can get an idea of your Starbucks volume.

Yes in Food Ave I have my other 3 TMs trained to order. But schedule myself on those days cause I just don't like the inconsistency

Well maybe push isn't the word, but remind them that they can save 5% with one and let them know they can walk over to Food Ave and apply in seconds. At our Location Food Ave and Starbucks is seperate. I am the Senior Team member there and do All ordering, none of SBTMs know how to do anything over there, maybe ring up a drink or bag some corn but that's all.
Cross training is amazing. When I started, no one worked both Starbucks and Food Ave. Now all of my Starbucks TMs can at least cover a break in Food Ave, and some work a shift per week there. Then again, I'm the TL for both, so it's easier for me to coordinate that stuff.

BTW, when you said you got a promotion and that you are the Senior TM in Food Ave, do you mean you are a Food Service Assistant?

Yes, I want to make it a point for them to be trained to help there. Which my STL agrees with. The TL Food Ave at our store is the consumable TL, who I mentioned before knows nothing about it and tapped me to be this Senior Team Member, he has never step foot in that kitchen to work.. Just to talk to me and remind me I "Make" him look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back