Archived Approaching the end of probation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm approaching the end of my 90 days probationary period.. And well I just wanted some opinions on my current situation.

I'll start out by saying I enjoy the job (my first job) and it makes me happy to help out people with questions/problems. Also, I do believe I'm doing a good job at what I do, punctual, polite, and I get my work done.

Now my question isn't really related to target much but more of... Advice on life I guess? Well I'd like to put my first down payment on a car.. And I thought I'd ask opinions on if that's a good idea, or maybe if it's too early for that etc. As for info that may help answers for my question are as follows;

All of my coworkers appear to like me.
I haven't had a major fuck up.
I show I'm dependable by never being late to work/missing.
I always get my work done.
I always appear to be in a good mood at the very least.

Kind of a random thread I know, but if you knew me personally you'd know I have a fictional rope of worries I have wrapped around my neck due to constant over thinking/anxiety.

Any opinions/feedback/advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed. Thanks everyone

How consistent are your hours? I think that would be the most important thing to consider before entering a loan agreement.
Well, since I've started (after my training week) I've had 20-26 hours a week. Totaling around 40-50 hours a week. It's been pretty stable from what I've seen. Thank you for the speedy reply.

Wait for the end of your 90 days just to be sure, and if everything is okay (which it should be) and you think you have the budget to get a car, go ahead if that's what you want to do. I would make sure to set aside some of your paycheck in a savings account though in case you ever have a bad couple of weeks. It's best to be prepared for the unexpected.

Wait for the end of your 90 days just to be sure, and if everything is okay (which it should be) and you think you have the budget to get a car, go ahead if that's what you want to do. I would make sure to set aside some of your paycheck in a savings account though in case you ever have a bad couple of weeks. It's best to be prepared for the unexpected.
Oh yes definitely, I should've added that I do plan on throwing a down payment on a vehicle after my probation is over, and as far as the finances go I am aware how all of that works and I do have money set aside for emergencies. I guess I'm more asking if I'm good to go as far as me staying at this job. On my end I have to, and I do plan on staying, just overthinking their end is really what it boils down to. I should be fine, it's just reassurance helps thank you!

Oh yes definitely, I should've added that I do plan on throwing a down payment on a vehicle after my probation is over, and as far as the finances go I am aware how all of that works and I do have money set aside for emergencies. I guess I'm more asking if I'm good to go as far as me staying at this job. On my end I have to, and I do plan on staying, just overthinking their end is really what it boils down to. I should be fine, it's just reassurance helps thank you!
I'll paraphrase something my HRTM told me at my orientation: "It's very hard to get fired from Target". Granted, this only applies if you don't have significant attendance or performance issues. You should be fine.

Definitely wait until after your 90 days are over. As long as you have some money set aside for emergencies and such I don't see why it would be a bad idea. I would make sure you have a couple months worth of payments set aside as well, because your hours may be at a stable 25ish now, but after Christmas they could drop significantly. A few people I know were as low as 8 hours some weeks. Just be aware that it is a possibility. If you stay at a decent amount of hours then you just have some extra money set aside, which can't be a bad thing. Also keep in mind the extra fees that they throw in there, (tax, title, license, extras-leather protection etc) I ended up spending like $3000 more than I planned...oops.

I agree with what everyone has shared. To add, you might want to get crossed trained in other areas of the store. Sounds like you're a "rockstar" and will do well wherever you are placed. Always remember the more you know, the better you will be. This works great especially well when looking for more hours. Also makes for your lifestyle outside of spot just in case you want to swap with someone or vice versa. As far as a car, always have money set aside for one. Not sure if you ever heard the sayings "A car is like a child" That saying is 100% accurate. Rock on Rockstar!!

Very few people get fired on their 90th day. Most people who get fired do so in their 90 days but if you make it to your review you probably did well.

At Target if you show up on time, don't steal and stay on your bosses good side you will have good job security. Plus one to whoever suggested you cross train so you can get scheduled in other areas should hard line shifts be hard to come by

Last edited:
Keep in mind that 4th Quarter hours go up but come Jan. Feb hours are slim to none for most unless you're picking up shifts and cross training as much as possible

Sounds like you're in the clear. Unless you have some serious delusions about your performance and general situation, you have nothing to worry about. Always improve yourself, learn as much as you can about each and every work center, and don't let anyone's bad attitude guest or otherwise get you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back