Are ETLs/SD require to rotate stores every 2-3 years?

I hate seeing good ETLs leave our store and just curious whether ETLs are required to switch stores. Seems like most if not all our ETLs do not stay longer than 3 years. Do they have a choice?

What @SigningLady said. They could stay in the same position at the same store for a very long time, but they’ll need to switch roles and stores if they want to get promoted.

It’s up to the ETL but they rarely switch. Store directors typically switch every 10 years but sometimes they stay longer. None of our ETLs have rotated stores at my store. Since I’ve been there.

Last edited:
Have had numerous store directors yet most of the etls have been there for quite a while, one has been there for 6 years while another has been there for at least 15.

My store's leadership has been mostly very stable over the 10+ years I've been there. There have been changes, but they're not frequent. Logistics ETL has been there the whole time; SD was an ETL at my store, transferred to another area store to gain some different experience and then came back when the former SD left for a higher volume store. I credit that stability as one of the reasons our TM turnover is (probably) substantially lower than most stores.

My store's leadership has been mostly very stable over the 10+ years I've been there. There have been changes, but they're not frequent. Logistics ETL has been there the whole time; SD was an ETL at my store, transferred to another area store to gain some different experience and then came back when the former SD left for a higher volume store. I credit that stability as one of the reasons our TM turnover is (probably) substantially lower than most stores.
I started the summer of 2015 and we are on our FOURTH SD!

My old SD was supposed to transfer to another location after being at her store for 18 months but that’s been put on hold for the time being.

It depends on the store and the leader. There are some SDs that have been in the same store forever (we have one in our district that has been around for the last 10+ years).

In my old store the good ETLs always seemed to cycle through the ranks every 18 months to two years. Most of the SDs that we cycled through either transferred to bigger stores or promoted to district/group level leadership. The 18 month thing is all about development. They do it so you don't get too comfortable in your positions, and offer leaders who show that potential to do different roles to help them gain the experience needed to be promoted. They won't move a problem performer, which is why the bad leadership tends to overstay their welcome a lot of times.

It’s up to the ETL but they rarely switch. Store directors typically switch every 10 years but sometimes they stay longer. None of our ETLs have rotated stores at my store. Since I’ve been there.
It is not up to the etl. If an etl refuses they’ve pretty much put a target on their back. It is up the the dsd. Remote stores are different tho. Stores that are hours from another target don’t change as much.

Depends on the district. Some districts might re-position staff to revamp a poor performance store or train new staff.

Based on my extremely small sample size, I would guess it's more common for younger ETLs to move around to further their career (I don't think that's unique to Target or retail, though). At my store we had mostly younger ETls who have moved out/around, and the only ones that stayed around longer were the two older ETLs (one just retired).

Based on my extremely small sample size, I would guess it's more common for younger ETLs to move around to further their career (I don't think that's unique to Target or retail, though). At my store we had mostly younger ETls who have moved out/around, and the only ones that stayed around longer were the two older ETLs (one just retired).
Seems to be the case for my district as well. My stores' top ETL has been there since the store opened, but the young guns seem to always move stores/departments.

In major metros with lots of stores within 60 miles of each other, all etl and sd can be moved whenever there is turnover.

Last edited:
How bad does a store have to get before leadership is replaced ?

That honestly depends on your district. Bad leaders won't be moved, and nine times out of ten they will quit before they are terminated (they're usually given the chance to get better, and many of them just can't handle the pressure put on them to get better results). In the 20+ years I have worked for this company I have RARELY seen an ETL get termed for performance. Typically they get the boot because they've done something stupid.

Back