Archived Are truck drivers stranded when they run out of hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work flow team. A while back, I came in for my shift one morning to be told that the truck hadn't showed up and that I could go home.

Over the next few days, I asked a handful of people if they knew why the truck hadn't arrived, and the answer I got was that the driver had run out of hours and so the truck had died on him. He hadn't been able to start it back up and had to wait for someone to come and get him. This story was eventually backed up by my TL and/or ETL (can't remember which).

Is this... actually a thing? Sounds to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I'd be absolutely furious if I'd been stranded in the middle of nowhere, unable to drive to a safe place by Target design, because they didn't want to pay a few hours of OT. It sounds ridiculous enough that I sort of don't believe it, but that IS the story I got.

It's the 21st century version of the truckers' log book. To make sure they don't violate labor laws, the truck will automatically shut down if they don't stop for a break (I think it's one ten-hour break a day, or something like that). I've never heard of one going down due to hours, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually a thing.

It's a legal issue. By federal law, a driver can only drive so many hours per day/week before they absolutely must stop or face severe violations if their log book is checked. When they run out of hours, they must stop and wait for the clock to run out or wait for another driver to take over.

Quote for truth. My dad as a independent driver would have to just shut down sometimes out of hours. In the paper log days you could be 8hrs behind in your book so you could fudge a bit, but there comes a point you are stuck until your time catches up. And since the Tracy Morgan accident, truckers know - mind your time. DOT looks at this seriously at weigh stations.

And yes most long haul trucks are paid by the mile or offered a dollar amount for the load delivered to destination(how my car got moved three states) I needed a closed low loading truck cause my ride is lowered three inches and can't get up onto a standard car hauler.

Last edited:
Also, from what I understand, "the truck died" is just trucker lingo. The truck likely did not die in the middle of the interstate and the trucker was in a town at a motel/truck stop or at a rest stop.

This. My uncle was a trucker, and he always used to call the time he had to spend without the engine running the truck dying. It was easier for some people to understand.

Some drivers are contract and paid by the run, not by miles. If they can get back to the DC quicker, then they can rest and get a load the next day, and not need extra time off to 'rest' between runs.

Our drivers use to come out of the DC in Stuart's Draft, VA and drive into Alexandria VA. They were in a huge hurry to get the trailers swapped and get out so they could avoid DC rush hour traffic on their way out of town. Otherwise they would have to shut down before they got back home and would have to spend the night in their truck and not get home that night. They hated that.

We've had an FDC truck delayed because the original driver was at hours and they needed to get a replacement. Hasn't happened with our GM trucks though because we're pretty close to the DC; FDC's in another state so its a different story. So many different reasons why the FDC truck is late...

Husband's grandpa worked for a railroad freight line & it was the same thing when they ran out of hours.
They had to get to a siding & sit with the engines idling while waiting for a van to pick them up.

Happened to us before. Everyone is given the option of going home. Out of those who stay, TMs who know how to pull will help BR pull the autofills and everyone else pushes them.

My brother is currently a truck driver. Whether they are paid by the mile or the load, they can still only legally drive for 12-14 (I think, might even be 16, can't remember) hours before they have to stop. I think I recall him saying that the license type &/or load can also have an effect on the allowed hours. Oversized and hazardous material drivers aren't allowed as many hours on the road. Pilots and flight attendants have the same type of restrictions.

n. I'd be absolutely furious if I'd been stranded in the middle of nowhere, unable to drive to a safe place by Target design, because they didn't want to pay a few hours of OT. It sounds ridiculous enough that I sort of don't believe it, but that IS the story I got.
It's not because Target won't pay OT, it's the stiff fines a driver can get slapped with for exceeding driving time.
And if they're fined even once, future companies will scrutinize their books.
A driver who violates drive times more than once will be considered a liability.
It's up to the driver to watch their hours in between towns so they're near a safe stopping place should the clock run out. It's also why long-haul rigs have sleeper cabs.
Rigs these days are likely to have an on-board monitor (akin to a black box) that can measure lengths of drive time because, when there's ANY accident involving a big rig, the driver's condition is the FIRST thing looked at.

Sounds like Target Distribution or contractor goofed sending a truck out with a driver with maxed out hours. Or the truck got behind due to traffic.

My brother in law usually did 10hrs on and 10hrs off. With a max of 60 hours in 7 days.

But why concern yourself. The truck is late and your store should still pay you for your shift or find other duties.

It's not because Target won't pay OT, it's the stiff fines a driver can get slapped with for exceeding driving time.
And if they're fined even once, future companies will scrutinize their books.
A driver who violates drive times more than once will be considered a liability.
It's up to the driver to watch their hours in between towns so they're near a safe stopping place should the clock run out. It's also why long-haul rigs have sleeper cabs.
Rigs these days are likely to have an on-board monitor (akin to a black box) that can measure lengths of drive time because, when there's ANY accident involving a big rig, the driver's condition is the FIRST thing looked at.
Exactly...that's why sometimes, if there's a big one where traffic isn't moving, they will actually pull off the road.

DH, a driver, said that it's quite possible the truck did die (shut down) on him. Some freight companies use electronic logs that monitor how long the driver has been working and when the driver hits his limit, vehicle turns off. Driver max is 14 hours per day, 60 hour max per week. Counted in the driver's time is the amount of time it takes for the trailer to be unloaded.

So heavy traffic, bad weather, slow unloading all count in the driver's time.

DH, a driver, said that it's quite possible the truck did die (shut down) on him. Some freight companies use electronic logs that monitor how long the driver has been working and when the driver hits his limit, vehicle turns off. Driver max is 14 hours per day, 60 hour max per week. Counted in the driver's time is the amount of time it takes for the trailer to be unloaded.

So heavy traffic, bad weather, slow unloading all count in the driver's time.
Do you really think Spot would pay for that technology? :rolleyes:

Interesting....my brother, also a trucker, said 11 hours, with a 30 minute break within the first 8???

They'll need to coast over to the shoulder.
If their signals are disabled, they'll use emergency flashers.

A lot goes by rail.
Whenever I'm stopped at a crossing, I'll see a freight train go by with double stacks of shipping containers.
I've counted 110-120 cars at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back