Archived Are you required to work Thanksgiving/Black Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already told HR i'm available all day to work both, but however i thought you were forced into working these days. I really would rather not work them, are you required to? I was told by a coworker that she got both days off, and all these seasonal people are getting hired anyways.

I've been told that every employee at my store will work at some point between open on Thanksgiving and close on Black Friday... so you'll most likely be scheduled

Assume you are. Not everyone works, but it's more of when you work. I only open since I am In-Stocks but for black Thursday I will still open just flipped 12hrs from my normal. Some people end up not working cause they hold them off to cover for others that did work.

I've already told HR i'm available all day to work both, but however i thought you were forced into working these days. I really would rather not work them, are you required to? I was told by a coworker that she got both days off, and all these seasonal people are getting hired anyways.

You have to ask a long time in advance. We have people taking them off but they asked in August. If you asked now we we would laugh at you.

Just got my hours, signing 5:30P-2:00A on Wednesday, 5:45P-12A Thursday Electronics, 6:30P-12:30A Friday & 4-12:30 Saturday.

I'll wait until tomorrow to check online, since I don't work tonight.

If you are scheduled to work these days already, then you are likely required to work them or ensure they're covered; it's just like any other scheduled shift. If for some reason your scheduled has not been posted, go to your ETL or if they're unavailable your ETL HR immediately and explain why you can't work them. ASANTS, but "i'd prefer not to work them" is probably not going to fly for these two days. Again, ASANTS, but I know seasonal hires and TMs are told that if they call out those two days short of being in the hospital or a death in the family, they should not expect to have a job when they come back.

Oh yes, I'm working Thanksgiving AND Black Friday.
Are they both time and a half? I think I'm working 18 hours between the two. I expect chaos. People are already bitching that we don't have Black Friday prices right now. People are insane already. And some of them smell bad :(

I think thanksgiving is the only time and a half but black Friday is +$1/hr?

Time off is usually blacked out during Nov and Dec. Depending on your store numbers you could be double shifted.

I have friends that prep/open for 10-12hrs Thanksgiving, off 8, and back to mid or close on Friday evening, then off another 8 to come back and open Saturday.

The schedule in my store went up last night and a surprising number of TM's are off Thanksgiving and BF, including seasonals. We were all asked about our 4th quarter availability weeks ago. It was never an issue of have to but working was strongly encouraged.

I am scheduled to open on Thanksgiving (my workcenter requires it) however, if this little one decides to show up early then I may have other plans. ;) (I'm a few weeks from my due date.)

Looks like I can enjoy Thanksgiving dinner! I work overnight. :O I am so so happy. Last year I opened, and it was rough.

I've got the least number of hours and crappiest shifts I've ever seen. 11am-8pm electronics all week leading up to thanksgiving. Only a ten hour shift for black Friday...wtf?

@signingminion. I would take your skills all week.
We got a lecture at huddle about only complaining if it was completely impossible. Fuck that. We just moved to a shift where I see my husband for more than an hour a day plus a day off a week. Now I probably won't see him all week. Not even while sleeping. Way to keep your long time peeps happy. Plus only one signing shift and it's Sunday ad set. We just gonna ignore everything else...

Tha fuck is going on with Spot???

Do I need to go to work at Lowes???

I know " technically" you are supposed to work on thanksgiving or BF but somehow some people bypassed or last year one person worked another job on BF so somehow he bypassed both thanksgiving and BF even though you are supposed to work one of them but he said he wanted to spend time with his family on thanksgiving ( he made a big deal about it) another person said they were going out of town so they couldn't work ( they got off both days) but yes you are supposed to work on one of those days but things happen:cool:

I"m confused about the pay. What I read today was a dollar shift differential if you work 8 to midnight black friday.
Thursdya, Thanksgivingm, is time and a half. So what is midnight to 8 am on blackf riday? time + half or a dollar?

I'm so confused and tired and not fixing typos.

Holiday pay up until midnight and then shift diff after midnight hope that clears thing up:) but it ends at when the store would technically open so 8 am ( I could be wrong though)

I keep forgetting to check the actual pay incentives on Workbench, but I took a picture of it last year and it was like this:

Overnight shift diff:
- Extra dollar per hour between 10pm and 8am (as long as you work at least 3 hours in that time frame)
Thanksgiving Holiday pay:
- Time and a half all day, between 12am and 11:59pm
Thanksgiving/Holiday shift diff:
- Extra dollar per hour between noon on Thanksgiving and 8am on Black Friday.

It is worded like they will stack, but it's hard to tell from looking at my pay check from last year (I somehow have 6 different types of pay on that check).

Time and a half Thanksgiving PLUS a dollar after noon until 8 am Fri?

OMG it's too weird. They need a chart or something. I'm just hoping for the "and a half" after midnight because I do NOT work that late, it's going to be a serious bone of contention in my family.

Time and a half Thanksgiving PLUS a dollar after noon until 8 am Fri?

OMG it's too weird. They need a chart or something. I'm just hoping for the "and a half" after midnight because I do NOT work that late, it's going to be a serious bone of contention in my family.
The way I read it is time and a half on Thanksgiving, PLUS a dollar between noon and 8am, PLUS another dollar between 10pm and 8am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back