Are you smarter than a...

Today a customer came to me and asked about AirPods. I said we were all out and told them that amazon or Apple online have about a zillion of them in stock. They thanked me and left. Anyone else just do their job (stocking or folding clothes) and don’t care about trying to sell “guests” items. Like, I couldn’t give a flying f*ck about trying to give out a RedCard or trying to sell them excessive items. No sir, I’m like, meh just go to Amazon, it’s probably cheaper and you can get it faster

I send guests to other places all the time, if it isn't stuff we sell. If we sell it on line, I offer up that if they want to go that route, I call the TM who has the mycheck out device and let them take over. If they don't want to go that route I will suggest other stores to try. Even if we don't make the sale, we may keep the traffic and they will probably try us next time.

I send guests to other places all the time, if it isn't stuff we sell. If we sell it on line, I offer up that if they want to go that route, I call the TM who has the mycheck out device and let them take over. If they don't want to go that route I will suggest other stores to try. Even if we don't make the sale, we may keep the traffic and they will probably try us next time.

I do this also. Many times I have Googled an item on my phone to see where the guest might find what we don't sell. They are always appreciative of me taking that extra time to help them find something because they know I don't have to. It's still helping the guest even if it doesn't result in the sale of an item.

I don't really upsell guests on things but I don't steer them away to competitors if we have it online or at another store. As for redcards there's a lot of positives to redcards that benefit them so I explain that without being pushy. On Sunday I reminded lots of them about our gift card promo so they could save $$ but spend $$. I come from a strong customer service background so it just feels normal to me.

Today a customer came to me and asked about AirPods. I said we were all out and told them that amazon or Apple online have about a zillion of them in stock. They thanked me and left. Anyone else just do their job (stocking or folding clothes) and don’t care about trying to sell “guests” items. Like, I couldn’t give a flying f*ck about trying to give out a RedCard or trying to sell them excessive items. No sir, I’m like, meh just go to Amazon, it’s probably cheaper and you can get it faster
You should be fired, tarred ,and feathered.

This, it’s always good to try to get the sale here, but it’s good to make the guest happy too if we don’t have it.

I don't think we even use the Mydevices in our store.

As for making sales, I will help a guest who is looking for something specific, and if we don't have it I will suggest other places that might, but I've never been an upseller. I've never worked on commission, never wanted to, and as a customer I do not like it when salespeople try to upsell me, so I dont do it to others.

Last edited:
I don't think we even use the Mydevices in our store.

As for making sales, I will help a guest who is looking for something specific, and if we don't have it I will suggest other places that might, but I've never been an upseller. I've never worked on commission, never wanted to, and as a customer I do not like it when salespeople try to upsell me, so I dont do it to others.

Same. If we don't have it, I say "Well I know Walmart/BB&B/etc has stuff like that, so you're probably better off there"

Not to be knit-picky, but I don’t think you guys are using the term “upselling” correctly. Upselling would be if someone was buying an item and you convinced them to buy the more expensive version of the same item.

Not to be knit-picky, but I don’t think you guys are using the term “upselling” correctly. Upselling would be if someone was buying an item and you convinced them to buy the more expensive version of the same item.
Very true, what I was referring to would probably be called an "add-on", trying to get people to buy other things as well as the original item, like a scarf if they are buying gloves, etc.

This is my first retail job where I didn’t work on commission. It’s a change not having the pressure of “making my numbers”, but giving great customer service is part of my DNA. I’ll always make additional suggestions or go out of my way to help a guest. I enjoy it!
That’s what target loves! Except it’s guest service here ;)

I come from a mindset of “saving the sale”. To suggest to a guest to shop somewhere else would be bad guest experience as well as bad for revenues. . If I could find another alternative for what the were looking at Target would be first priority, if not an option then suggest competitors.

I come from a mindset of “saving the sale”. To suggest to a guest to shop somewhere else would be bad guest experience as well as bad for revenues. . If I could find another alternative for what the were looking at Target would be first priority, if not an option then suggest competitors.
Whenever I try to give them an alternative they don’t want it but I always suggest online/different stores.
For example guests ask for blinds almost everyday but we don’t carry them, so I suggest they go to Walmart. A lot of them don’t want to bother with online shopping either.

Back