Assume that nothing you say on the walkie is private

Something my SD told us today. Assume that everything you say on a walkie is overhead by at least 3 people and if you need it to be private either meet in person or ask for their phone extension and talk on the Zebra

Something my SD told us today. Assume that everything you say on a walkie is overhead by at least 3 people and if you need it to be private either meet in person or ask for their phone extension and talk on the Zebra
Assume anything even close to personal that you say on the walkie will spread all over the store in a quick hurry if it’s interesting enough. And to people who are bored to death doing repetitive tasks at work and looking for a momentary diversion, pretty much anything is interesting enough. Some of those walkie conversations can really breathe new life into the store grapevine.

Uh, yeah.
Anybody who didn't know that the minute they were handed a walkie also has no idea how the internet works.

I KINDA got in trouble the other day.
For some reason, our closing TLs don't have AP Walkies (but some style ones do lol). Regardless, I hear "Closing TL name, switch to 4." 4 is our AP channel.

I turn my walkie super low and hold it up to my ear as I'm walking to the desk.
"Hey TL, TM is screwing around in the parking lot and I've seen him push like 10 carts in the last hours"

I was walking down the main isle, closing TL walked RIGHT next to me and goes
" You're not on 4 are you" "..........no......"

Very thankfully, this is the closing TL that is super chill. and just told me not to do it again LMFAO.

For some reason, our closing TLs don't have AP Walkies (but some style ones do lol). Regardless, I hear "Closing TL name, switch to 4." 4 is our AP channel.

"Hey TL, TM is screwing around in the parking lot and I've seen him push like 10 carts in the last hours"

Very thankfully, this is the closing TL that is super chill. and just told me not to do it again LMFAO.
1. Why is your AP channel on 4? Ap walkies are actually easier to get right now than regular walkies.
2. Your leaders should not be utilizing the “AP channel” in this manner. Those cameras are not there to watch TM performance.

1. Why is your AP channel on 4? Ap walkies are actually easier to get right now than regular walkies.
If we need to tell AP something, they don't want it on an average multi-use channel. it's so any TM could walkie them privately about weird guests without others hearing it instore LOL.
2. Your leaders should not be utilizing the “AP channel” in this manner. Those cameras are not there to watch TM performance.
Of course and this is the first time I've heard of AP doing something like this lol. 1 side of the store had 0 carts and the other had 10, so them fucking around in the parking lot was actually significant LOL. That's why they walkied the closing TL.

EDIT: ALso, this decision was made back when we had call buttons and RESTROOM FOLLOWUP IS NEEDED so they just collectively swapped to 4.

Some of the ETLs have been cunts to the electronics team a while ago because, and I quote "They don't look busy" HUHHHH. Babe, we're the only department that isn't in the red???? And my ETL, the same one that wanted to be labeled on NECA stuff, told me that and I talked about numbers and this but she kept grinding the same we don't LOOK busy.

I said, "so... you want me to look busy?" We kinda let each other have it but in a professional and healthy way. It was honestly good for both of us. we're cool now lol.

You never switch when other people are around! I make sure I'm alone on the floor if I switch in store. Easiest is when I'm on break in my car.

I switch any time I think the topic relates to me. If someone asks a front end TL to go to 3, I go to 3. Quite often they'd have to relay what they were just told to me anyway, so this cuts out the middleman. If it's something they absolutely want no one to overhear, they should be using channel 5, or 6.

If I have to relay info to my APTL, Closing TL, or ETL, and it's important no one else hears it, I'd call or text them.

My favorite is when I'm asked to go to 3 and the TL or whoever says their thing and literally seconds after the conversation is over, I get another walkie call to go to 3 and someone completely different gives their take on that same conversation.

At my store all ETL and above get AP walkies. Only people not part of that group that get them are closing TLs

You need those wired headsets mine has. Its great. I would just silently bump my walkie to the interesting channels and lurk

Gotta get this!

Our walkies have 1 through 4 channels but I’ve heard Etls and APs calling to go to channel 5 . May be they have some different walkies.

Our walkies have 1 through 4 channels but I’ve heard Etls and APs calling to go to channel 5 . May be they have some different walkies.
One day an AP walkie ended up in the charging port. It had 6 channels. I was a goodie two shoes and returned it to them at the beginning of the shift.

We used channel 4 to talk to AP with as much privacy as possible. We would ask AP (without saying "AP") to switch to "hardlines 4" so guests and thieves would hopefully not catch on, I don't know if that term was specific to our store.

I just wish we had a few more walkies, although there have been times when I have heard my etl calling me and I could ignore it, because I didn't have a walkie

Back