Archived Availability Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in the Starbucks inside my Target and while I'm pretty good at opening and making the drinks, I am really really bad at closing. I just can't do what needs doing around the guests. And we only have 30mins after we close to get everything done (I'm sorry what? How does anyone even do that?). I want to change my availability so I just don't work nights, but I have a hunch that's not a good enough reason for them to let me change my hours. I have tendonitis in both my knees and a bit of a back problem, and at this point I'm wondering if I can get a doctor to sign off on needing me to cut my hours considering how much pain I'm in when my 9 1/2 hour shift is over (9 if we aren't counting lunch). Any advice on what to do?

Ask other team members what they do to get done on time. There are tons and tons of things you can do to get out in a half hour. And then there are other things that you shouldn't do that will allow you to get out in about 5-10 minutes (cleaning the pastry case way early, getting rid of skinny mocha and maybe even some of the other metal pumps, and many other things that I've seen team members do that actually prevents guests from ordering the drink that they want... ugh).

Also - 9 hour shifts? The vast majority of stores schedule team members for 8 hour shifts at the most, unless there is a staffing issue or it's like Black Friday or something.

Completely aside from the closing issues - definitely talk to your doctor about the pain and determining whether you need accommodations.

I'm not technically trained at Sbux although I've learned enough of the drinks to be able to cover breaks and meals. Is there any clean up work that you can start earlier in the evening to minimize how much has to be done after close?

Thanks @Xanatos ,

@redeye58 @Yetive any suggestions on closing Starbucks on time? We have a 16 year old who is not the brightest and she's able to do it so I wonder if the OP just needs more training.

The first time I closed by myself, it took forever. There is so much that has to get done. You need to try to get as much done early as possible, while having everything available for guests. I start about 6:30 or 7:00.

I usually start with the coffee area. Pregrind and put in filters the number of batches of Pike you need to get you to close. Put any preground coffee (decaf, dark, blonde) into tall cups. Clean the grinder and wash the pour over stuff, airpots, spoodle, canisters, cubes, and the grounds tray. Wipe down the countertops, walls, etc. After your 8:30 batch has brewed, wash the brew baskets and clean the coffee machine (don't forget to take off the spray heads). 9:00 wash the last airpot. You may have a pour over ordered. Thats ok, you just have to rewash those few things.

Then, I move to cold bar. Teas and infusions can go into cold cups. Wash all of those pitchers. Wash all but 1 dairy blender pitcher and tea shaker (it's cold here, so not so many fraps). Again, you may need to rewash a pitcher or shaker, but no problem. Rinse all of the syrup bottles, wash the syrup holder, and ice scoops. Wash mocha pump and container (use mocha from hot bar). Disassemble the sink grate and blender pitcher rinser. Wash those and give the sinks a good scrub so they will just need a rinse at close. Wash up the last shaker/pitcher at close, wipe down all surfaces.

Make mocha and skinny mocha.

Pastry case. At around 8:00, I start this. I will toss the sandwich displays. Put any 2day pastries on trays and date. Put expiring pastries on another tray. Wash, rinse, and sanitize the case then carefully put the trays back in. At close, cover the 2day pastries, toss the expiring ones, wash tray and make sure the case is still clean.

Hot bar. Rinse all of the syrup bottles and wash the holder. Wash all but 1 of each steaming pitcher/spoon. Wash the drydek squares that hold toppings and pitchers. Wipe all surfaces. Most of the rest of hot bar is shutting down the Mastrena which is done after close.

Stainless steel pumps. We have 2 of every pump at my store, and if your store doesn't, you should suggest it. I try to get most of the pumps washed before close. If someone orders a drink after you have washed the pump, you will just need to wash it again. If your store has multiple pumps, you can leave them to be reassembled the next day.

Remember that you are never out of things just because it is easier.

After close wipe everything down, finish the dishes and Mastrena. Last thing is the drains. This can be done earlier, and is easier if you have a mid.

I rarely close, and I'm not at work, so I'm pretty sure I may have forgotten some things :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back