Archived Background check...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot and I've searched but couldn't find any other questions similar to mine...

Yesterday I had my 2 interviews with a target store. I was offered the job and scheduled orientation. Before I left they had me log on to a computer and give consent for them to check my background.

I have a misdemeanor theft conviction from 2008 (9 years ago) and I explained what happened, that I completed what the courts told me to do, and that I haven't had any other convictions since and that I am going to be dedicated to working for target so I wouldn't jeopardize my career with repeating my mistake.

I was completely honest. I'm sick to my stomach because I truly want to work for target. I'm in college right for HR and plan on, if hired, staying with target as HR once I graduate. I'm so nervous and scared I'm not going to get hired because of a dumb mistake I made nearly 10 years ago.

Do you think I'll be able to get hired? Will someone call or email me to let me know how the background check went? Because as of right now I'm scheduled for orientation in a week. So if nobody emails or calls, I won't know if I should go to the orientation or not. I know stores don't normally hire theft. Does anyone know if anyone else has been hired with the same criminal history? Please help!! Let me know if I need to give up and apply for another job or if I might actually have a chance.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
I had to consent to a background check so I'm guessing they must still run them? It's through an outside company from what the manager said.

They didn't want a drug test, but that's because I was being hired as seasonal.

Do you think I'll be able to get hired? Will someone call or email me to let me know how the background check went? Because as of right now I'm scheduled for orientation in a week. So if nobody emails or calls, I won't know if I should go to the orientation or not. I know stores don't normally hire theft. Does anyone know if anyone else has been hired with the same criminal history? Please help!! Let me know if I need to give up and apply for another job or if I might actually have a chance.

Hi there,

So what tricky is the passing of a background check will depend completely on Targets background check partner. First advantage.

When someone has a conviction it usually takes anywhere from 5 to 14 days for them to pass thru or be denied.

It's a little tricky to tell what will happen in your case. Because it had to do with theft I have never seen someone passed along for a theft conviction

What's on your side is the time for the conviction. In my state you don't even have to list convictions from 10 years ago.

What state are you in? Some states

Last edited:
The way Spot's going nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if they've stopped doing background checks.

Nope, I had someone fail a background check yesterday for a robbery conviction.

Last edited:
They didn't want a drug test, but that's because I was being hired as seasonal.

They don't drug test for non AP positions anymore. And in marijuana legal states they don't drug test AP now.

What position were you hired for?

They don't drug test for non AP positions anymore. And in marijuana legal states they don't drug test AP now.

What position were you hired for?

I'm not worried at all about a drug test because I don't use any drugs. But I applied for seasonal. I'm guessing that's why I'm not getting drug tested.

I'm more concerned (more like stressing!) about my background check.

Hi there,

So what sucks is the passing of a background check will depend completely on Targets background check First advantage.

When someone has a conviction it usually takes anywhere from 5 to 14 days for them to pass thru or be denied.

It's a little tricky to tell what will happen in your case. Because it had to do with theft I have never seen someone passed along for a theft conviction

What's on your side is the time for the conviction.

What state are you in?

I'm in Ohio. So basically I just have to hope that the amount of time, my honesty, and no trouble since will help me? I'm thinking I should probably apply for another job then :(

It's so sad. I would be a great asset to the company for a very long time!

You're not getting drug tested because they don't drug test. Not because you are a seasonal.

Oh ok, I gotcha! So do you think I will hear back about my background check, even if I don't get accepted? I was scheduled for orientation so I would think someone would email or call and let me know not to come if my background check doesn't go through.

I'm in Ohio. So basically I just have to hope that the amount of time, my honesty, and no trouble since will help me? I'm thinking I should probably apply for another job then :(

It's so sad. I would be a great asset to the company for a very long time!

Yeah...
Oh ok, I gotcha! So do you think I will hear back about my background check, even if I don't get accepted? I was scheduled for orientation so I would think someone would email or call and let me know not to come if my background check doesn't go through.

It's tricky we are not supposed to call people if they fail a background check. There is an auto turndown email that is generated. But some stores will call you just to let you know not to show up for orientation.

My fingers are crossed for you, a mistake doesnt define you. Keep applying, someone will take you and give you the second chance you deserve.

Looks like Ohio doesn't have a time limit on convictions. Massachusetts target is only allowed to ask for convictions 5 years in the past.

Hawaii 10
Washington 10
California 7 years

Can stores override the result if the results match with what the applicant puts in his application? I know we have hired people with convictions before.

Can stores override the result if the results match with what the applicant puts in his application? I know we have hired people with convictions before.

The application I filled out didn't even ask me anything about my criminal history. I think target did away with that question and they save it for after you've been interviewed.

No, you cannot bypass it when someone is deemed not cleared.

What I have seen is with most convictions you can still get hired - dui, 3rd or 4th degree assault, domestic violence, even minor drug offenses.

Violent crimes, theft, robbery and sex crimes I have never seen someone pass thru.

Yeah...

It's tricky we are not supposed to call people if they fail a background check. There is an auto turndown email that is generated. But some stores will call you just to let you know not to show up for orientation.

My fingers are crossed for you, a mistake doesnt define you. Keep applying, someone will take you and give you the second chance you deserve.

Looks like Ohio doesn't have a time limit on convictions. Massachusetts target is only allowed to ask for convictions 5 years in the past.

Hawaii 10
Washington 10
California 7 years

Thank you so much for your reply! So I should be getting an email if I'm rejected? Or should I call the store and talk to the HR worker and see what she says?

Thank you for the finger crossing! Ohio laws aren't very nice. I paid a lot to the courts as well as paying the anti theft classes they required me to take and I still have this record on me. I'd get it expunged, but I don't have the money to do that right now.

I really wanted to work for target. It's sad someone can use drugs and work there but not someone who made a mistake almost 10 years ago!

The application I filled out didn't even ask me anything about my criminal history. I think target did away with that question and they save it for after you've been interviewed.

The new rules are they are only allowed to ask about convictions after they have offered you a job.

Yes. Good Luck! I hope they are able to see it was just a mistake, and you have no further issues.

No, you cannot bypass it when someone is deemed not cleared.

What I have seen is with most convictions you can still get hired - dui, 3rd or 4th degree assault, domestic violence, even minor drug offenses.

Violent crimes, theft, robbery and sex crimes I have never seen someone pass thru.

Does First Advantage report non convictions or only convictions? Like will a successfully completed deffered adjudication from 2010 be reported today. In Texas they only check back 7 years allegedly. So wondering when u all do background checks have u ever seen deferred adjudication show up

Does First Advantage report non convictions or only convictions? Like will a successfully completed deffered adjudication from 2010 be reported today. In Texas they only check back 7 years allegedly. So wondering when u all do background checks have u ever seen deferred adjudication show up

No Target specifically only cares about convictions. If you're sentence was deferred it shouldn't show on your record as a conviction

Hey , I was offered a job with target, will my juvenile record be a problem and I have an assault and battery case that was dismissed . Will the dismissed charge make me fail the background check

Theft wont clear at my store. All are not the same but if a person comes back with a theft I auto deny, I wont have that on my hands again. Sorry, good luck and god bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back