Archived Backroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new. Target is my first job. Tomorrow is my first training day at backroom. As a backroom member, what can I expect? Any tips? What does backroom work consist of?

0bd0ed742059cd7f4c83882095aeb3752e45dfbfv2_hq.jpg

You'll be stocking the stockroom with extra merchandise that won't fit on the sales floor, pulling merchandise from the stockroom to fill the sales floor and for guests, keepimg the stockroom neat and safe, and varous other tasks. It will be slightly different for every store depending on how your store is run, but that's the gist of it

Don't be afraid of heights, and ask for help if something is too heavy or awkward

Don't be afraid of heights, and ask for help if something is too heavy or awkward
You'll be stocking the stockroom with extra merchandise that won't fit on the sales floor, pulling merchandise from the stockroom to fill the sales floor and for guests, keepimg the stockroom neat and safe, and varous other tasks. It will be slightly different for every store depending on how your store is run, but that's the gist of it
Oh, I see. Thank you! Honestly I am a girl and afraid of height. o_O

Work on that skill, getting comfortable with it, or at least tolerate being on a ladder. Dont let being a girl be an excuse, some of the best backroom TMs I've worked with have been women, even small framed.

Last edited:
Work on that skill, getting comfortable with it, or at least tolerate being on a ladder. Dont let being a girl be an excuse, some of the best backroom TMs I've worked with have been women, even small framed.
You are right. I will try my best tomorrow! Thank you!!

Don't worry about memorizing where things go. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick since there is always backstock for everything.
Pick the brains of the other BRTMs for how items are backstocked.
Be prepared to be thrown on Ship From Store whenever they need help.

And one of my pet peeves, please for the love of god do not backstock laundry detergent casepacks as high as possible.

Oh, I see. Thank you! Honestly I am a girl and afraid of height. o_O
The longer you do it the stronger you'll get. I started in the backroom 5 years ago and I can lift stuff now that I definitely could not when I first started. Don't try to push yourself into lifting thing that are too heavy for you and always practice proper lifting. As the only girl in the backroom I was really worried at first, but as long as your team is good it shouldn't be bad. People are usually more than happy to help with any questions you have or heavy lifting you can't do on your own.

As for the heights thing, I was in the same boat. The more you do it, you will probably become for comfortable with it. Honestly, the Wave (a piece of equipment you will get trained on) terrified me at first but now it is a breeze using it.

Don't worry about memorizing where things go. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick since there is always backstock for everything.
Pick the brains of the other BRTMs for how items are backstocked.
Be prepared to be thrown on Ship From Store whenever they need help.

And one of my pet peeves, please for the love of god do not backstock laundry detergent casepacks as high as possible.

She is a afraid of Heights I doubt she would.

Than you shouldn’t be in the back. You should be able to lift up to 40lb boxes up and down the ladders . Does that mean you are afraid of all the power equipment ? Or make a bail?
Requirement to work in backroom is to be able to lift 40 pounds, not carry 40 pounds up and down ladders, and most backroom people would prefer that heavier boxes were back stocked low where they belong for safety reasons. I didn’t see where the OP expressed a fear of powered equipment,but TMs have to pass certification before they are allowed to use it, and they shouldn’t be certified unless they are ready. Making a bale is no big deal, doesn’t require Hulk-like strength, and shouldn’t present a problem. People can and do conquer fears and deserve a chance to prove themselves.

Requirement to work in backroom is to be able to lift 40 pounds, not carry 40 pounds up and down ladders, and most backroom people would prefer that heavier boxes were back stocked low where they belong for safety reasons. I didn’t see where the OP expressed a fear of powered equipment,but TMs have to pass certification before they are allowed to use it, and they shouldn’t be certified unless they are ready. Making a bale is no big deal, doesn’t require Hulk-like strength, and shouldn’t present a problem. People can and do conquer fears and deserve a chance to prove themselves.
You get certified during your training be yourself ready or not. I’m not that hard ass person that says a girl can’t be in the back , but she will have to prove a lot to her team so their morale is not affected when she can’t do certain task. To me is train well and manage less . All my team has to be a A player so I can relay on them to do what needed to be done. I am a girl tl for logistics and off-site ( off-site being a mini dc) I just know how hard it is to be back there is not just pulling and backstocking. With the new changes a lot is required of the backroom.

You get certified during your training be yourself ready or not. I’m not that hard ass person that says a girl can’t be in the back , but she will have to prove a lot to her team so their morale is not affected when she can’t do certain task. To me is train well and manage less . All my team has to be a A player so I can relay on them to do what needed to be done. I am a girl tl for logistics and off-site ( off-site being a mini dc) I just know how hard it is to be back there is not just pulling and backstocking. With the new changes a lot is required of the backroom.
Fair enough. I found that females who were hired for backroom (non-seasonal) were hard working and driven to succeed, more so than some of the male new hires, because they felt that they had to prove that they deserved to be there, just sayin. Anyone who couldn’t cut it would be gone. I totally agree backroom is no picnic, especially now, and everyone has to work together and pull their weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back