Archived Be honest, do you hate working at Target?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 53
  • Views 10K

Do you hate working at Target?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 75 75.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I know this has been asked a billion times but let's have some honesty about your feelings about Target. Do you hate working at Target?

While working at Target has it's moments, most of me says 'no'. Granted, it IS a retail job, the pay isn't super great, and you deal with some of the worst shoppers/guests who think the world revolves around them and they think they deserve everything and then some. But, my fellow TMs and even TLs have been nothing but awesome for the most part, and they seem genuinely happy to see me even if I'm in just to pick up a few things on a day off. Plus, after reading some of the posts on here from TMs of other (possibly higher volume compared to the one I work at) stores, I feel kinda lucky to have a good group of co-workers who feel like a second family to me. I'm still somewhat shocked that they hired me on since I've had literally no prior experience in retail/sales, and I have a speech impediment that I've felt held me back my entire life that I've grown to work around since I started and it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue anymore aside from a few times where I get nervous about something and/or think too hard.

Last edited:
I honestly enjoy it. I get along with most of my coworkers, our management is decent, and most guests are polite.

I've only been here about 3 months, but oddly enough, I look forward to my shifts.

While I may have little love for corporate, and my GLs often seem clueless, I look forward to clocking in on each shift. I love what I do and I do what I love. Hell, if they'd let me, I'd be pulling 50-60 hours/week year-round. So that's a no.

No. In theory, it's such a simple job to hate....how you could anyone hate setting an item on a shelf? What matters, are the people you work with. I don't have to work with corp, and I enjoy my co-workers and management. Therefore no, I don't hate it. I could see how others could.

For the most part no. There are occasions I feel like strangling someone but it is retail.

I don't "hate" working at Target. Some days suck but there are more good than bad.
I really like my co workers. We are a great team and help each other out.

Of course every job has it's moments, but I definitely don't hate working at target. That's too strong of a word for my store. As commie says, all stores are not the same. I can definitely see hating working here if I was subject to some of the bullshit that gets posted on here.

Pay sucks but it's better than some other jobs, and it's an easy job to get and keep if you're not an idiot. It's given me some life experience and jaded me, but I think overall I will look back on my time with target in a neutral way. There's positives and negatives, and for the most part they cancel each other out. Positives being my stores leadership is good, I get along with most team members and guests, and I don't have to worry too much if I make a little mistake. Chances are it's easy to fix or no one will notice. Negatives being the 8 hour cashier shifts that leave your feet hurting (hopefully a thing of the past for me), shitty guests, idiotic corporate, and shitty equipment.

After 10 years here, I would have to say "NO" as well. There are bad days and good days, like any job. The good days far outnumber the bad, and as far as retail jobs go... it could be much worse!! Most of the things that happen that would make me want to quit get handed down from corporate, but my team is awesome, for the most part.

Just from reading lots of posts on here, and working as support help at other stores in my district, I have come to realize in the last few years that I have a pretty great store! We went through some rough leadership changes for a few years, but the majority of the team that are driven like I am stuck it through and we are all like family here.

In 10 years I haven't worked a weekend or an evening at all (except for a few days here and there where I volunteered to cover a shift). My leadership have been very supportive of my life outside of Target, and they are fine with my narrow availability because I work my ass off when I am there. I can't imagine I could go anywhere else in the retail world and say I want a M-F morning job and not get laughed out of their hiring office.

I am leaving my 4AM backroom team next week to officially begin my PMT training. I work with a great group of experienced TMs and I will miss working alongside them every morning, along with many of my flow TMs. I am very grateful that I will have the opportunity to take over Property Management at my store, because as long as I am in retail I plan to stay right here with the best team (at least in my district.)

If and when I leave to pursue other career opportunities, I will not really miss the company, but I will definitely miss the people.

If Target was my primary source of income, my answer would have been yes. When it's just 1-2 days a week, there's no reason to care about the bullshit that comes with the job.

I liked it just fine for the first 4 years, having been lucky with the ETLs and a good STL. But that last year was pure hell everyday with an asshole ETL and bitch STL trying to get rid of me.

My official answer is No. I don't hate it because if I did I would had left years ago. Now, I also wouldn't say that I love it either. There are so many things that I wish would change, however at this point I realize Spot is Spot and that's that. I know that the good ole days at Spot are gone and will never return. I also know that I will never have the stability ( with benefits, hours etc) that I would like . So, if I want change in my work life, I have to make it happen and not wait on Spot ( Ie leave the company) So, no I don't hate it . Just not as proud as I once was to say I work there.

Last edited:
I enjoy working there, but the pay sucks.

Anyone who says Yes and means it, needs to find a new job. I'm not being snarky either. If you hate your job, I guarantee your quality of life is suffering, and you should find something else that will allow you to be happier in life. I'd give this same advice whether you're working part-time at Target while in school, or you're a TL or ETL and in it for life, or somewhere inbetween.

I don't hate working at Target. My team members are awesome, most of the time guests are decent, and my ETLs seem to care about what we think (not always, but a lot of the time). Most days I say I don't want to go to work, but then I get there and I do my job, but also get to joke and chat with some awesome people during breaks and whatnot. I hate the pay, but not the job.

If Target was my primary source of income, my answer would have been yes. When it's just 1-2 days a week, there's no reason to care about the bullshit that comes with the job.
QFT. Only thing I hate is that I basically work 730am to 11pm non stop a couple of days a week but otherwise it doesn't bother me. When it's not your main job you can care less.

Anyone who says Yes and means it, needs to find a new job. I'm not being snarky either. If you hate your job, I guarantee your quality of life is suffering, and you should find something else that will allow you to be happier in life. I'd give this same advice whether you're working part-time at Target while in school, or you're a TL or ETL and in it for life, or somewhere inbetween.
I agree with this completely. Staying at a job you hate is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. I hated Target, so I found a better job and left. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Truth. Unfortunately Jack has no desire to get another job, either. It's odd. He has talked about looking for years, but it never goes any further, so even though he hates it, he prefers to stay there and be miserable than work to do anything better in life.

Granted, being in the job search process is not fun...but it's freeing to know that this is not only my last stop, but this bus will be moving on sooner rather than later. And the more I remember that, the less I care about the stupid stuff, and the more I enjoy the job again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back