Archived Been asked to be a TL, should I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently an electronics TM and have been for over two years. My hardlines SrTL asked me if I want to be her backfill for when she gets promoted. I have some questions that I should probably ask her, but since it might be a few days before I see her again I figured I'd ask your perspectives:

* I currently go to school part-time and work around 20 hours. I know a TL is a full-time position, but is it like 32 hours or 40 hours? The latter might be hard to juggle for me

* What kind of scheduling/availability do you need? I was told that I would close one night a week and Saturday/Sunday on a rotation, which is fine because I already close every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday

* This site frequently mentions "the bench" and how long you sit on it. My SrTL made it sound as though she was going to be promoted soon and her need for a backfill was the only thing preventing that, so it seems like I would be immediately replacing her. Might this not be the case? I'm fine sitting on the bench a while anyway because of school

Thanks for the help

There are many threads on this site that will answer many if not all your questions. As far as how long you will actually be on bench, you have to to pass some interviews by your leadership in order to be placed on "bench". As far as your availability, that too might prevent them from selection of an actual TL as TL's have open availability.

We have had TLS in school. Some work every weekend, and some only close. Usually, your schedule can be accomodated.

We have had TLS in school. Some work every weekend, and some only close. Usually, your schedule can be accomodated.
If they want you and think you are worth it they will break every best practice to put you there. I've had tls in school, even graduation week activities were accommodated. Most work 40hrs, but they might not have a problem with less, depends on what you actually get out in charge of. Just electronics might not need 40hrs of tl, electronics/ toys/home/ furniture might.

I go to school Part-time, and my days for school change semester to semester but has never been an issue. At my store, the lowest hours a TL can get are 32 but usually I average about 38.

Most important question for you is how much can you handle? Our CTL is thinking of stepping down since school is kicking his butt.

I know of TL students who are able to do 30-32hrs/week. For sure possible.

My store has 2 ETLs in grad school.

That's crazy. I don't know how they go to school while working 50 hour weeks.

I can see school and working 40 hours I've done that. But ETLS dont work that little.

Last edited:

I can see school and working 40 hours I've done that. But ETLS dont work that little.
You mean you don't have any 22 yr old ETLs that work 4-6 hrs on a Saturday and dip as soon as the next LOD is in? Must be nice.

You mean you don't have any 22 yr old ETLs that work 4-6 hrs on a Saturday and dip as soon as the next LOD is in? Must be nice.

Lol my STL would have none of that.

Grad school is a different animal. It can be easier to accommodate to a schedule than undergrad. Very rare that you are in class 5 days a week.

what do they want you to do? 32 hours should be fine. we just guarantee full hours as a perk as tl. the issue is more you will likely want to spend a lot more time doing things yourself and limiting things to 32 you'll be frustrated that you can't put another 20 to things you could easily do but can't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back