• I hate them

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I don't care one way or another

Votes: 19 54.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Ok so this goes out to those former "Rockstars", probably now TL's at Target. I want everyone to list their traits of a Captain of their workcenter. What they consider. I'll give a few ideas I think a captain entails. The "go to" person when a TL is not present. A captain knows Best Practice of their said workcenter. A captain almost always goes above and beyond for said workcenter. A Captain is also a Team Player and also global. Any other qualities?

Multitask and attention to detail. May be redundant, but has the team’s respect and therefore the ability to mobilize them. Sees the big picture and is comfortable talking with upper management when issues arise, and has a solution ready. Gives outstanding guest service and mentors others in all aspects of the workcenter so every TM is set up for success.

This was me as electronics TM. I was in charge of AAR for the team, and helped the team to increase theirs to green. I took over signing for the TV wall to make sure it was accurate, and instituted a schedule for researching (now auditing) in electronics. I dropped batches to keep endcaps full in toys, and when there were dead endcaps I would create and flex new ones. I always knew our sales and numbers, and because the TL wasn’t just the TL for electronics and was usually in his other workcenter, I was the one who spoke about the department during visits. I was always busy, but always free to help guests at the same time. I guided the team and addressed any issues before they became issues for the TL/ETL.

It got me promoted. BUT, I was working WAY above my paygrade. I was basically doing the TLs work. Luckily, I was recognized for the results and comps it brought, but most wouldn’t be so lucky. I would never expect all of that out of a TM, and I would never leave so much of my work for a TM to do. So my feelings about captains are very mixed.

Sees the big picture and is comfortable talking with upper management when issues arise, and has a solution ready.
This is big. I was very close with the STL and ETL team, and would always try to have a solution in mind already before bringing up an issue with them. Although eventually, their trust got to the point where they would just have me address the issue myself without involving them.

Shit! I'm a captain...
53697461.jpg

The “captain” position is an absolute joke.

Target basically makes the best TM in each department the “captain”, and therefore the back up team lead. However, the problem is it’s a made up position that has no real incentive at most stores. Stores promoting these TMs is usually a rare occurrence. Most of the time they are strung along with hinting at promotion, or even promised promotion, but it never materializes.

Instead, the ETLs give this TM more responsibility and a greater workload for the same amount of pay. So, not only are they not compensated fairly, but the environment that is created is actually destructive, because it punishes good workers and rewards bums.

The good TMs end up having to do more work and take on a huge amount of stress for no pay increase. Meanwhile joe fuckup is late, slow, doesn’t give two shits about the company and makes the exact same wage as the “captain” whose getting pushed beyond their limits. That is not a healthy working environment and it’s a major reason why Target is struggling to retain talent.

Last edited:
But you get recognization!!!

It's like website owners who steal writers and photographers work.
When they get caught their first response is to talk about all the exposure the artist is getting and how that is somehow better than cash.
Fuck these guys.

I was the captain of the Cart Attendants back when I did it. Nothing really special, but it did feel good being the go-to guy for cart attendant related duties, everyone knew me and loved me, knew they could trust me to do the job, and I always went above and beyond. Any issues someone had concerning the cart attendant were immediately brought to me.

Ok hang on I'm this person. Though I heard the term captain like what 6 months ago NOTHING else has been said. But I do everything except tell team members what to do, assign them task

I was that person and honestly it just depends on the person. Some people enjoy being the go to guy and most the time it pays off. Sure you do a lot of work compared to other people but I’m not there to compare myself to my coworkers or I’d never enjoy my job. People should be going to work and giving a 110% everyday regardless of what other people are doing and honestly I guess that’s the difference between a potential leader and just a TM.

The “captain” position is an absolute joke.

Target basically makes the best TM in each department the “captain”, and therefore the back up team lead. However, the problem is it’s a made up position that has no real incentive at most stores. Stores promoting these TMs is usually a rare occurrence. Most of the time they are strung along with hinting at promotion, or even promised promotion, but it never materializes.

Instead, the ETLs give this TM more responsibility and a greater workload for the same amount of pay. So, not only are they not compensated fairly, but the environment that is created is actually destructive, because it punishes good workers and rewards bums.

The good TMs end up having to do more work and take on a huge amount of stress for no pay increase. Meanwhile joe fuckup is late, slow, doesn’t give two shits about the company and makes the exact same wage as the “captain” whose getting pushed beyond their limits. That is not a healthy working environment and it’s a major reason why Target is struggling to retain talent.
That's me at my store. I'm the PA back up team lead and exactly what you said. Some days I just put on a joe fuckup impression because it tires me that I do all this shit and no pay increase whatsoever. I just want to scream and yell at the loafers but I can't because I will get in trouble and yet joe fuckup gets to loaf around and nobody says anything.

I was that person and honestly it just depends on the person. Some people enjoy being the go to guy and most the time it pays off. Sure you do a lot of work compared to other people but I’m not there to compare myself to my coworkers or I’d never enjoy my job. People should be going to work and giving a 110% everyday regardless of what other people are doing and honestly I guess that’s the difference between a potential leader and just a TM.
I give my 110% everyday sometimes 150%. Where is my TL offering? By now, I should be Sr TL. But hey, the leaders want you to stay in your position because to them, they won't have to worry about finding a replacement as good as you are who sticks around that long.

I’m not there to compare myself to my coworkers or I’d never enjoy my job. People should be going to work and giving a 110% everyday regardless of what other people are doing and honestly I guess that’s the difference between a potential leader and just a TM.

So you’re not going to compare yourself to other TMs at Target, yet just two sentences later you decide that if a TM doesn’t give 110 percent regardless of how they’re treated(monetarily or otherwise), then they’re not a “potential” leader like you. Instead, they are “just” a team member. Hilarious

That's me at my store. I'm the PA back up team lead and exactly what you said. Some days I just put on a joe fuckup impression because it tires me that I do all this shit and no pay increase whatsoever. I just want to scream and yell at the loafers but I can't because I will get in trouble and yet joe fuckup gets to loaf around and nobody says anything.

Not only that but since you’ve identified yourself as a capable worker management will immediately leap on your ass if you stop working as hard, whereas the slacker gets left alone for poor performance. Once again, it’s completely backwards.

Not only that but since you’ve identified yourself as a capable worker management will immediately leap on your ass if you stop working as hard, whereas the slacker gets left alone for poor performance. Once again, it’s completely backwards.
Definitely

I give my 110% everyday sometimes 150%. Where is my TL offering? By now, I should be Sr TL. But hey, the leaders want you to stay in your position because to them, they won't have to worry about finding a replacement as good as you are who sticks around that long.
No offense but have you had that feedback conversation with your leaders? There is probably other reasons you’re not being promoted. My store has done pretty well promoting within to deserving candidates. We have a pretty high turn over rate and no because of people quitting but people being promoted upwards and elsewhere constantly

“You wanna run this ship?”
“Yes.”
“Well... you can’t. “
My captain strategy.
(Meme won’t post for some reason).

The good TMs end up having to do more work and take on a huge amount of stress for no pay increase.
while this may be true in the next year or two with the pay increases wiping out merit pay differences, in the normal way of doing things the captain would get a larger raise than the bum, which compounded over time leads to a significant difference in pay rate.

No offense but have you had that feedback conversation with your leaders? There is probably other reasons you’re not being promoted. My store has done pretty well promoting within to deserving candidates. We have a pretty high turn over rate and no because of people quitting but people being promoted upwards and elsewhere constantly
That's your store. Your store doesn't run my store and your leaders have no influence on the leaders at my store or vice versa. "Other reasons you're not being promoted" how can you say that when you don't know what is even going on at my store. My store has been done promoting team members since a year and a half ago. And leadership is downsizing. There are only made-up captaining titles but that's it. If you are great at what you do, they pretty much want you to stay in that spot because it makes life easier for the team leader. And then they also don't have to find a replacement for your spot. Say whatever you want, but I know how it is in my store and that's what I can talk about. I can't talk about any other store when I'm not there. The good leaders are long gone who actually cared for their team members and willing to recognize their potential and move them up.

I was a flow captain when i was at target.
And i helped run the unload when my TL was doing other things like pallet pulling and opening the doors.
I also got a small team i was in charge of to stock p fresh when flow was still owned that. I also made decisions on who could stay late and helped the etl and TL with firings. Once my TL left early and my ETL was not there so i ran the whole flow team for a day. It was fun i got 40hrs every week and alot of OT during the holidays

An often forgotten perk about being a well-performing Captain is having a lot of say about your scheduling. I didn’t work a closing shift for over 8 months, despite having open availability and working 40+ hours a week. I had a few months of Monday-Friday opening shifts only, I got nearly any time off request I wanted approved, I got to have say over who would work before with or after me. Make yourself so that they can’t survive without you, and they’ll start making sure they keep you happy. Be global. Make people train you everywhere. Always answer when work calls and always come in for shifts when they need you
But you get recognization!!!
One of my old TLs who has long left Target used to say that around here, you either get tons of recognition without the pay you deserve, or you’re paid more but get zero recognition. Speaking from experience, this is 1000% true. Went from being the rockstar TM in the store and district, speaking to the STLs from the district about what I’m doing to get the results that we were getting, to being a not-quite-new-in-role TL, who is given less and less resources every week despite expectations growing more and more, and being held accountable for the result. But I make $7 more an hour!

On my most difficult days, I almost start to think it’s not worth it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back