Archived Being Left Off With a Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost got term today over an indecent that occurred the week prior. Today I was called in to the LOD’s office with AP there as well. At first I thought I did something like over the top wrong, but that wasn’t the case.

Last week; I believe it was Saturday evening I was taking a cashier shift for the night. While I was cashiering, I happen to over hear the HR team member(Lets call her Katherine for privacy) running up to a guest trying to leave the store with over $400 dollars worth of infant stuff. I saw what was going on so I decided to see what I could do to help. Outside the store, Katherine was telling the guest that the stuff she tried to purchase through self checkout didn’t go through.

Needless to say, while holding a baby wrapped in a blanket; she dropped the cart and headed to her vehicle.
We went back in the store and had GSA write a report to AP.

A week later, AP and the LOD wanted me to come up to the office letting me know that what I did leaving the store was a term offense. AP also mention that the guest was known to be violent when confronted. Apparently she pepper sprayed an employee at a different retailer.

To make a long story short, I was left with a warning not to pull that again.

One other thing: When the cops found out who the women was, they told AP that women is currently missing with her baby.
Just yesterday while watching the news. The police found the newborn dead in the mother’s car, but the mother was nowhere to be found.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the baby. I know in my prior store our ap executive was fired for not following policy. Never found out exactly what happened but it was one of those 'wed rather the guest steal something them risk a lawsuit' sort of thing.

Man that’s really rough... I’m saddened to hear about what happened to that poor baby. :( But yeah, you and the HR team member are both not allowed to “chase” a guest outside of the store unfortunately due to safety procedures and the law and I’m glad that the guest didn’t get violent with you guys. I’m glad you didn’t get fired either since you didn’t know

Man that’s really rough... I’m saddened to hear about what happened to that poor baby. :( But yeah, you and the HR team member are both not allowed to “chase” a guest outside of the store unfortunately due to safety procedures and the law and I’m glad that the guest didn’t get violent with you guys. I’m glad you didn’t get fired either since you didn’t know
I know, but hear is the weird part; according to the lady's family she would walk her baby who is 'dead' and pretend it is still alive. What if the baby was already dead while she was in the store?

Saying you almost got termed is hyperbole. You got a verbal warning, that's it. Most TMs do more harm than good when they try to help. Basically the only thing you should be doing is going overboard with the customer service and/or walking out of earshot and calling AP. Apprehending/interacting with suspected thieves is a very sensitive are. 1 wrong move and you can put the team in danger and/or cause the store to face litigation. Neither you nor your HR person should've followed that woman out the doors. AP has a little more leeway but even they have to abide by a very strict set of rules. I won't go into details so as not to give away their operations.

Saying you almost got termed is hyperbole. You got a verbal warning, that's it. Most TMs do more harm than good when they try to help. Basically the only thing you should be doing is going overboard with the customer service and/or walking out of earshot and calling AP. Apprehending/interacting with suspected thieves is a very sensitive are. 1 wrong move and you can put the team in danger and/or cause the store to face litigation. Neither you nor your HR person should've followed that woman out the doors. AP has a little more leeway but even they have to abide by a very strict set of rules. I won't go into details so as not to give away their operations.
Exactly, even within AP there’s rules we follow, and sometimes it’s better to let them walk than to cost Target in lawsuits or safety issues. Despite your best intentions, it’s very against the rules for team members to stop a guest like that - even receipt checking must only be done by AP.

It's not an unknown fallacy in any retail store that no one not AP, TPS, or security trained with Target should never confront, engage, or help in situations that require security. Just last month, a pharmacist manager at a local Walgreens saved the store from getting robbed at gun point by attacking the guy... he was fired shortly after for violating security policies and not re-hired.

Exactly, even within AP there’s rules we follow, and sometimes it’s better to let them walk than to cost Target in lawsuits or safety issues. Despite your best intentions, it’s very against the rules for team members to stop a guest like that - even receipt checking must only be done by AP.
I just wanted to protect Target's asset, but going forward that would not be my job.

To be fair, as a fellow michigander, lansing is a weird as place anyway. its our capital and yet you could find some of the weirdest stuff going down a block away from the dome. its like D.C. up in here!

While an ETL I was only asked to help AP during a takedown once. They knew the guy would resist, but didn't want help in the apprehension. They needed me to steer people clear as they took him down.

I have a question about that receipt checking.... I'm a cashier and am often on SCO. More than once, a guest has said "I bought this in electronics, want my receipt?" and they shove it in my face. Usually, I can get away with "no thanks, I believe you" but once the guy was rather insistent, so I looked at it and handed it back. I didn't even read it. I only looked like I did to please the guest. Was this wrong?

If the guest insisted then no, it wasn't wrong.
I remember talking with my ETL-AP years ago near the entrance when a woman went buy with a cart-load of Fisher-Price playsets.
She said they rang her up at electronics & held up a lengthy receipt, asking if we wanted to check her receipt.
I demurred to my AP but he said no, it was ok.
Later he ran a check on the DPCIs of those playsets only to discover none had been rung up that day.
Fortunately I remembered the time of day & he pulled her image from the exit camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back