Best way to move up the ladder?

I was hired in style in October last year (still new blood, I know) and I'd really like to stick with the company. I'm in school to be a PTA, but after finding out that ETLs can make upwards of $26 dollars an hour? That's more than I'd make after getting out of school plus less student loan payments. I'm not going to lie, money is an incentive. I have loan payments and bills, but besides that, I really do love what I've experienced so far with this company and I have other supervisor/retail experience that I feel could help me be successful.

My question is, would I be better off going through something like the ETL Internship or applying for a TL and then working my way up? I've already applied for the internship, but I've yet to hear anything back. I was thinking of just working my way up with a Team Lead job slowly, but I had a coworker warn me that Target doesn't like to hire from within and I'll make way less due to wage caps.

Is there anyone who's been down this road with advice?

Sorry, but I misread the subject in the literal sense. 😂 Anyway, get your degree then get promote to etl.

Last edited:
If you’re coming in at 3am and don’t leave till 7pm or 8pm every day, there’s either a really broken process where they think they need to be there that long or it’s by choice but that’s not the norm for most ETLs.

If you want to become an ETL quicker you can go the internship route. But I feel lately in the last 2 years that Target now prefers to hire from within. The only downside is that you have to be really good at what you do and normally this will takes years and years of experience. We have 4 TL move up to ETL with a minimum of 5 years with Target.

If you want to become an ETL quicker you can go the internship route. But I feel lately in the last 2 years that Target now prefers to hire from within. The only downside is that you have to be really good at what you do and normally this will takes years and years of experience. We have 4 TL move up to ETL with a minimum of 5 years with Target.

Our district is the opposite. In over a decade at my store, I have seen one TL promoted to ETL & maybe 6 or 7 team members promoted to TL.

Few internal promotions at my store, three TLs to ETL and six TMs to TL that I remember in over ten years. Two of the promotions went to the same person, so eight people were promoted and of those promotions five people left for greener pastures. Externals were coming and going like a revolving door in the last few years.

I was hired in style in October last year (still new blood, I know) and I'd really like to stick with the company. I'm in school to be a PTA, but after finding out that ETLs can make upwards of $26 dollars an hour? That's more than I'd make after getting out of school plus less student loan payments. I'm not going to lie, money is an incentive. I have loan payments and bills, but besides that, I really do love what I've experienced so far with this company and I have other supervisor/retail experience that I feel could help me be successful.

My question is, would I be better off going through something like the ETL Internship or applying for a TL and then working my way up? I've already applied for the internship, but I've yet to hear anything back. I was thinking of just working my way up with a Team Lead job slowly, but I had a coworker warn me that Target doesn't like to hire from within and I'll make way less due to wage caps.

Is there anyone who's been down this road with advice?
Internship will get you promoted faster.

Back