Archived Black Friday has convinced me to quit

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple things to preface this. I have worked at Target for well over a year. I bust ass on sales floor, working hard. I get good hours, people are generally friendly to me, though with my low self esteem I assume they're just being nice and I'm weird and everyone hates me, especially after nights like tonight.

I am five foot four, 136 lbs. I am slim, but not jacked. I am not a coordinated person. I cannot hold my own in a fight.

I vouch for Target being a good place to work, despite its flaws, I am overall a big fan of my job. I had no plans whatsoever of quitting. I was more than happy to stay for the forseeable future.

Tonight changed that completely.

I understand Black Friday is hard for everyone. I get it. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point I reconsider how I'm feeling right now. Maybe I'm overreacting.

But today I feared for my job, for my personal safety, and it could have been entirely avoided.

All week, I have dealt with a lack of information on what we are having on sale for Black Friday. As in, There's a list in the STLS office, I've not seen it, nor have I been told directly it exists. But all week, guests are upset and I look stupid because I don't have information on what's on sale when, or what we have in stock, where things are located. Management seems to think I'm not privy to my own information. I no longer have any idea what the Toy of the Day is, or what's on sale. I guess I could do copious amounts of research, but perhaps printing a nice little list and leaving it at the electronics boat would save hours of studying and help the sales floor have a handy little reference sheet.

Today, I didn't know that we had Beats on sale for $120. Not that it should have mattered, I was supposed to be at the apple cage ringing and distributing product. But they changed my position 15 minutes before the doors opened, not once, but twice, so about 3 minutes before the doors opened, I was handed the keys, told to open display cases and unlock things for guests.

This was a very stupid idea.

By three minutes after six, I was pinned against our beats case, as guests pulled out all our product, because I'm a small guy and can't fend off six different people taking what they want simultaneously. We didn't have the $120 beats item. I didn't know this. If I had, I'd not have opened the display to begin with, because I opened it naively thinking "no way we don't have any of these, let me look and see if they're behind some of the other product".

As guests are taking hundreds of dollars of headphones, I figured I just lost my job, and also, I may actually get trampled. No one informed me that I could just hand out these items and ignore regular security measures.

No, my management saw fit to give one of the smallest sales floor team members a different position less than five minutes before the doors opened, gave him no information on security or product, and basically left him to fend for himself. The only way I got out of that was our backroom team member calling me over for assistance with a looting issue, and he's fortunately over 200 lbs and 6 feet tall. But I was also scolded by him for not helping him earlier, because, yeah, I could have moved if I wanted, sure.

Most of my night was fine. It was less than five minutes. And yet, I see no reason to stick to a job where my management has such little concern for the team that they'll put them in a position, an entirely avoidable position, where they fear for their job and safety.

I bust ass but get paid the same as the team members who regularly slack, and I get told off more when management see me spending a rare 30 seconds talking to a team member, "loafing". I work hard because I have integrity and pride and care about my work.

I don't think I care anymore.

My plan is to phone it in and half ass my job, convince management to take on a seasonal person I like, have him cross trained in electronics, and then peace out. They'll have someone else who is primed to replace me, but I'll just stop showing up.

Any thoughts on this are welcome. I need a place to vent. I know there are threads for that but...I don't know, this felt like more than venting. I feel drained and exhausted and I just want to lay in bed and cry but know I need to go back in tomorrow.

Black Friday takes alot out of you especially when you don't have the support of leadership. Steps I've done is try to have a meeting with leadership and express ideas about how to improve on next year. Whatever you do don't quit while you're still over worked from the stress of the day

I hate to shoot you down, but it almost seems like you're making mountains out of molehills. So you didn't have a copy of the ad. So you were asked to do a different job than you had expected. So you didn't know that you were free to hand out all the product in the locked case. Maybe I'm wrong, but these don't seem like major problems. Perhaps you should discuss this with your leader, and if that fails try HR, before you consider quitting. If you do decide to quit, don't worry about convincing leadership to hire your replacement -- it's their job to worry about that, not yours.

As you yourself said, Black Thursday and Friday are tough days for everyone. Try talking to your leadership and seeing where that gets you.

I hate to shoot you down, but it almost seems like you're making mountains out of molehills. So you didn't have a copy of the ad. So you were asked to do a different job than you had expected. So you didn't know that you were free to hand out all the product in the locked case. Maybe I'm wrong, but these don't seem like major problems. Perhaps you should discuss this with your leader, and if that fails try HR, before you consider quitting. If you do decide to quit, don't worry about convincing leadership to hire your replacement -- it's their job to worry about that, not yours.

As you yourself said, Black Thursday and Friday are tough days for everyone. Try talking to your leadership and seeing where that gets you.

I had no issue with any of that, though I do feel it reflects poorly on management. In fact, the fact they're so easily addressable simply builds my case that this is avoidable.

But I'm perfectly able to roll with the punches.

My problem is that I felt I was in a dangerous position tonight and as long as I don't need this job, I'll give it up in favor of my safety.

If it felt like my endangerment couldn't have been avoided, I'd be way less irate. But the bruises and cut on my torso I just found a moment ago, those didn't need to be there, and that's why I'm so angry. And that's why the little molehills are so key to the point I'm making.

But you're also probably not wrong. As I think a I mentioned above, I might just need to decompress and in time I may reconsider.

There are things leadership could've done differently, but also the Black Friday ad has been online for the past couple weeks. Also, you can find out the toy of the day on Cartwheel.

Black Friday is the easiest day just direct people and keep them in line. Try pushing pallets of food every day while hoards of guest shop for food the past 7 days.

Did you have a walkie? If you felt in danger you should have called your ETL-AP/Hardlines for immediate help. Hell, call a Code Green if you need to, whatever to get the backup you needed.

If I were put in this situation, I would probably be determined to quit as well. Get some sleep, revise or write your resume, and talk to your ETL and, if necessary, HR. They need to hear your concerns and it's on them to remember next year and organize better. Whatever happens, move on to another job before Black Friday 2017.

Did you have a walkie? If you felt in danger you should have called your ETL-AP/Hardlines for immediate help. Hell, call a Code Green if you need to, whatever to get the backup you needed.

I called for assistance and got none. I suspect we were so bum rushed I either wasn't heard or no one was able to assist.

Also, can I just call a code for attention? I wasn't aware I was hurt until I got home and took my shirt off. I don't know calling false codes is an ideal solution...

Last edited:
Black Friday is the easiest day just direct people and keep them in line. Try pushing pallets of food every day while hoards of guest shop for food the past 7 days.

Not sure how this post is helpful in any way whatsoever, but sure?

There are things leadership could've done differently, but also the Black Friday ad has been online for the past couple weeks. Also, you can find out the toy of the day on Cartwheel.

I've been operator several times and I was never given any of the information either. I had to look it up myself with the cartwheel app (it has the toys of the day and discounts) plus read the online ad.

Why do you do often respond to posts in this manner? How about some empathy?

I get that your store is very very busy and beats sales all the time. I get that as a PA, (I used to be one), you are underpaid, overworked and unappreciated. You get massive FDC trucks with not enough help, but somehow through your hard work, it gets done. You seem to be doing a great job. Just try not to "top" other tm's stories.

Just my opinion.

Its definitely not the easiest day but it is manageable. I have dealt with angry and unruly guest but that was expected right?

I am sorry people rushed you but this is Target your safety is number one. Let them act like savages but get out of the situation and call for help

I hope you dont quit. I have hated these last two days but I know my other 363 days at spot are nothing like this. I think you have a valid argument not to do Apple stuff this year.

Last edited:
Why do you do often respond to posts in this manner? How about some empathy?

I get that your store is very very busy and beats sales all the time. I get that as a PA, (I used to be one), you are underpaid, overworked and unappreciated. You get massive FDC trucks with not enough help, but somehow through your hard work, it gets done. You seem to be doing a great job. Just try not to "top" other tm's stories.

Just my opinion.

Well said !

I'm asked all the time .... is this in the ad? is this on cartwheel?

I have no my device. And I'm not using my personal phone, which I don't carry anyway, to help. So unless I spend my unpaid time looking through the ad or cartwheel, I have zero idea what's on promotion if there is no sign.

But no problem, I just tell the guest I don't know. Which I don't.

Sorry this happened to you. Target does not care about you past what it might cost them if you get hurt. That's the reality.

I get that a lot in front end. No idea what is in the ad or on sale. I try to look at the ad when I get on the lanes, but being chronically short staffed, it's all but impossible. I'm honest with the guests and tell them it's been too busy so I haven't been able to sneak a peak at the ad.

I don't know calling false codes is an ideal solution...
Not ideal, but probably your best bet. You felt endangered, you called for help and got no response. Since we don't have a code for TMs feeling unsafe, calling a Code Green is more than reasonable if it gets you the help you need. You aren't calling a Code Red. You are calling a Code Green which is for am injured Guest or TM. From what you described, you were within a hair of it being a real one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back